I need some help

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2085
I don't visit this section much, usually stay in Car Audio section. Hopefully you guys can tell me some do's and don'ts with home audio, as this will be more of a learning experience than anything.

So... I just picked up a Dayton 25 watt plate amp, and will be using a 12" AA assassin. I have no other equipment, as far as speakers or any receivers. I will most likely be using a splitter on my xbox360 AV cables, to send signal to the amp. Anything wrong with that?

Second, My subs RMS is 250w, but seems to be pretty efficient I guess. Since I only have 25w, should I go sealed, ported, or IB? Here's the subs specs...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060210210157/ascendantaudio.com/assassin12specs.htm l

Thanks for any help, as I will have more follow up questions after I get started.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2086
Anyone?

Well I got it hooked up yesterday, I ended up using the audio output on my TV instead of splitters. It sounds alright, as I just have the sub sitting on a shelf in no enclosure. I guess my question is should I go ported or IB? Should I do a downfire box? Where should I place the enclosure in my room? I was thinking just as far away from me as possible.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 495
Bringing a car sub indoors is generally an exorcise in futility. To make it sound half as good as a relatively cheap self powered sub costs twice as much!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 366
If you INSIST, do a google for 'plate amp' and pick up a cheapo.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2089
I already have an amp (not much power tho). The driver is not strictly for vehicle use. If you look at the link I posted it gives specs as for HT use.

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
With that said you want a ported box of some sort because it will be more efficient (the speaker cone moves more with less effort).

So I am curious what does a good enclosure cost?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2090
Alright, I wasn't sure if it would be burpy sounding or not since I don't have quite enough power to really make good use of the sub, hence why I was considering IB.

Well I'll be building the enclosure myself, so it won't cost much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
You know it would be very cool if you keep us up to date on your project. From what I have seen in this home subwoofer section a resident expert on adapting car subs for home and the building of enclosures could come in real handy!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 368
'ya got nuttin to lose. If you get a good result, get some good PICS here, too.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11092
By using an enclosure calculator and the T/S values provided by the manufacturer in your link, you can build the driver into whatever you want to, and have a shot at getting it right.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13091

Call either Parts Express or Madisound to get technical answers to your questions. You must build within the confines of the T/S parameters. To do otherwise will be a frustrating waste of time and money.

If you do not understand how the T/S parameters of the driver relate to the enclosure, how port volume affects bass extension, how the sensitivity of the driver (something I do not see spec'd) relates to a 25 watt plate amplifier, or how a minimum of 3.5 Ohms affects the overall performance of the system, then ask someone who can walk you through the requirements of making this work out well. Unfortunately, this isn't the forum that does such things.

I will tell you that you are starting with a rather poor selection of components for a beginning home system but you have what you have, so make the best of them.

Call the two companies listed above.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2091
Alright, thanks for the responses.

Well it might be just a little while before I start this build. I'm getting my car audio straightned out first (dropped the 12" assassin my my car temporarily). I might just wait and go with a different driver, something that would be more efficient with the power I have. I have a 3 1/2" Vifa woofer I might play with instead, until I get different equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us