Best Cabinet Material?

Hi, I have decided to build a pair of the K281's(http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/monitors/kit281.htm) And was wondering what the best material would be to build them with. I see most people using MDF for the cabinet construction, and then putting vaneer over the top. I dont have a problem working with hardwoods, and oak cabinets might give a nice look. I dont know how nice they would sound, with a wood instead of MDF.

Thanks

Anonymous
Hard wood is even better - make them thick like 3/4 inch or 1 inch for better sound.

If you are good with wood, you can give bracings, by attaching rods horizontally, and vertically. This would give better sound.

With hard wood, you can finish it to look nicer too.

Keep us posted as to how they sound - i am making my own speakers too.

timn8ter
Hardwoods look nice, however they can resonate. This isn't necessarily bad if that's what you're looking for. Remember, many instruments are made from particular woods to achieve a desired sound. In most cases, speaker builders don't want the cabinet to add it's own sound. The best wood to use in most cases is a void free, marine grade ply. Not standard plywood but stuff like birch ply, applewood, etc. Second choice is MDF. Most builders go with MDF because it's less expensive, easy to work with, dense and heavy.

I am not sure whether the material I used is available outside India. I used Bison cement board which is like MDF or rather like particle board but instead of Urea Formaldehyde for the glue the guys in India use fine grade cement. I have built an active sealed box speaker with seperate amps for the tweeter, Midrange and the subwoofer in each unit. Even at about 110 db if you place your hand on the speaker cabinet you can barely feel the vibration from the subwoofer.To me this is the best material short of concrete but the damn speaker is about 68 kilos which makes moving the thing around a real pain and hence it has been lying in the same position for 7 years now.The speaker measures 120inches tall*10inches wide*40inches deep with the 10 subwoofer mounted on the side.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us