Biamping rotel 1062 ?

Username: Tc3353

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I've been listening to my current rotel 1062 intergrated amp for 3yrs now w. my current b&w 685's through my arcam cd73 player although the sound is very balenced and precise but it lacks the emotional output i'm craving. I listen to alot of grateful dead plus acoustic ballads. The question would biamping the 1062 w. another rotel provide better output or due i need to spend more money on a completely different intergrated? I have listened to the arcam a32 biamped w. the p35 through the old b&w 602s3 and the sound was completely amazing.

thanks,
tc

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1506
There are a number of threads in this forum regarding bi-amping.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/510379.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/510379.html (might not be applicable to you, but just in case)

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/495876.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/487165.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/396493.html

Read through these and if you still have a question please come back we will be glad to work with you.

Welcome to the forum Tony!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1690
I'm not really sure bi-amping is going to give you the sound you're looking for. Sure your system will have more power, and possibly better "control". But it will stil sound the same.

I've never heard Rotel with B&W (although this combo seems very common). Perhaps try a different type of integrated?

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks guy's....I'm just trying to make my speakers sound better and after today I think I know what I have to do. I was at my dealer down the street (audio consultants ) and I listened/compared a few intergrateds I really like the sound of the arcam a38 it made my speakers come alive. As for bi-amping they said it will do nothing for your sound.

I appreciate all the advise and the help. This is a very additive hobby and I love it so.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1694
Me too. Good to have you onboard!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1507
Which Audio Consultants in Chicago Tony?

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 3
I live right down the street from the one in Evanston and I normally deal with Scott or Simon great people. I remember my first time I walked in there looking for anthony gallo speakers ya know those small orb like ones for a surrond sound system. The next thing I know I'm walking out with B&w 601s3 and a rotel amp. God I'm so glad I didn't buy those orbs.

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 146
hi tony
imo you should look at changing your speakers. bi amping with another rotel might give it more power and head room, but i doubt it will make it more musical etc

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1509
I have the Gallo's but not the Orbs either. I have the 3.1a Ref's with the Gallo sub-amp. It mates well with the rest of my kit. I lived neared the Audio Consultants in Hinsdale for a while and still keep in touch and do some business with them when I can. Another place I like is in Downers Grove, Holm Audio. A little esoteric but a lot of sweet gear.

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 4
I like my speakers and I have listened to them through other amps so I know the speakers are capable of much more. I just listened to the arcam a38 w. the 685's and they sounded completely different in a good way. I guess I'm just looking for the cheapest way to upgrade my sound. I don't know if I should switch to seperates or just splurge on a used mcintosh intergrated like a used MA 6500. I really like the look and sound. Btw I wasn't bashing gallo I'm just happy I went the 2 channel route vs. surround sound.

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 149
i think you'd rather then upgrade the rotel to the mcintosh or arcam rather than bi-amping it with another rotel

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3352
Tony,

Were it up to me, I'd seriously look into upgrading the CD player. In my view, that's the weak link here. the 1062 is plenty clear enough to let through what a really good CD player can do. I appreciate that the A378 will have given you loads of grip, but it also depends on the CD player that was used.

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 5
Well thanks for the input everyone. When I was listening to the arcam A38 he did have another higher end arcam cd player playing not sure FMJ? it was the only one in the house but I guess I'm a little confused by your statement Frank. I've been told to get a better power source by a few people. What cd player would you recommend? Looking for for emotion/involvement on the acoustic stuff. What about the speakers can it be the speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3359
Tony,

When I say 'source', I mean the device which creates the music signal - e.g. tuner, CD player, record deck. CD players I would recommend as a step up from the 73 (which was good but a bit bland) would include the Rega Apollo, Naim CD5i, Cyrus CD6SE (new and impressive), and higher, more expensive models up to the Arcam CD37, Rega Saturn, Naim CD5x, Bryston BCD-1 and Cyrus CD8SE. Beyond that your gains will be lower due to the limitations of the rest of the system.

There are loads of CD players I have not mentioned here that may float your boat of course!

I am not a big fan of the 685s but you say that you heard 602s sounding wonderful and so I'm inclined to think that you rather like their presentation, in which case I wouldn't think that the speakers are the culprits, especially since the 685s are appreciably better than 602s in my view.

From your descriptions, I think you're lacking drive and excitement which is a typical trait of the CD73. After upgrading that, look at upgrading the amp. The speakers can only do as they're told by the electronics, so they're the least likely culprits at this stage.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11114
Tony, if you like what the Rotel/B&W setup does, then you would be remiss in not trying out a 1072 or 1070 cdp.
Try to borrow one for a trial.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11115
Tony, if you like what the Rotel/B&W setup does, then you would be remiss in not trying out a 1072 or 1070 cdp.
Try to borrow one for a trial.

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks guy's. Frank I'll audition some cd players for awhile and see if that does it. I will say adding the CD73 in the past was the greatest investment I made to my system and I'm looking to an upgrade.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us