Rotel RB-1070

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1040
So I went out speaker shopping yesterday again and instead came home with a brand new Rotel RB-1070. They offered me a good price, and I couldn't resist.

So I replaced the NAD driving the speakers in my dining room with the Rotel. To my ears it sounds much, much better. It doesn't have quite as much thump and the NAD did, but the mids and highs are much clearer. It just sounds more "open".

I gotta admit Klipsch aren't the best speakers to mate with Rotel, but it'll have to do for now.

Still need to upgrade those speakers...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1041
Swapped out the Klipsch's with a spare set of Tannoys I had in the basement.

MUCH better. I can actually hear midrange now.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7059
Good job David. I'm still a Rotel fan...great bang for the buck!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1042
I'm pretty happy with it, Art.

At first listening to it with the Klipsch's I feared I had made a mistake.

My wife just came home and heard the Rotel with the Tannoys. She said even she can hear the difference.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1043
You guys really believe in the whole "break -in" period for amps?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10367
Some more than others, David.
I had a fun rb985 power amp(still in a closet?)that was well used when I got it.
The amp changed its tune after some use on low impedence speakers.
Stryvn has that amp as well, I think his was minimal run-in.
Rotel is usually pretty much face value, as compared to a Classe amp that I ran, which was seemingly forever to gain its liquidity.

I agree with Art...I like the stuff!
Have fun, and banish the Klipch to outdoors.

Rotel loves Paradigm..like studio 20 monitors...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7060
"You guys really believe in the whole "break -in" period for amps?"

Yep.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 252
I had an RB-1070 which was not the happiest driving low impedence / hi current speakers. Note that Rotel doesn't specify 4ohm power and limits bridged to 8ohm min.

That being said, it is a great amp. Keep it off of the power conditioner for best results....I had to learn the hard way. Mine had minimal run-in time and was stable within a few weeks.
Now those speakers.................

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10372
Both Rotel amps I had drove my PSB/difficult speakers with ease, and never got even barely warm.
3 ohm dip, -15 phase and loud.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1044
I've been listening to it all weekend - sometimes cranked. It barely gets warm to the touch.

It must have higher gain than my Byrstons, too. It seems a fair bit louder.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 253
Even with my Rotel in a poorly ventilated space, it never got too warm. Even on 'no mercy' days I couldn't get it hot.
I also think that some of my problem was due to it being plugged into a power conditioner. It improved markedly when moved to its own outlet.
That being said, I don't think it was happiest with my 1.6's. While the impedence never goes below about 4.5 ohms, the phase angle is more than the 15' of the PSB's.

Nuck, did you ever 'red line' it? At higher levels, I noted it sounded somewhat 'bunched up'...I don't know how else to describe the sound. Maybe a charateristic of my panels?
my PS Audio at about 3x the power shows no such limits and will go to nose bleed levels.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7085
Rotel and Maggies are not a good match. I switched from Rotel to Hafler when I had my Maggies.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 789
I have not noticed mine heating up much either and I run it pretty hard occasionally.
Run-in time? I don't know as I was running in all new gear at the same time... amp, pre amp and speakers. There was a dramatic difference after a couple hundred hours on the whole setup though. I suspect most of that was due to the speaker run in time.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 254
Art, my dealer recommended the Maggie/Rotel matchup...though in all fairness they would have rather I got the RB-1080 of 200x2 @8 and a decent 4ohm rating.

The '1070 just didn't get the job done.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7087
My experience is that it is a poor match. Magnepan always suggests finding an amp that doubles it's power into 4 ohms...not bad advice for Maggies.

Ofcourse we all hear differently and I had the series of Rotel amps before the one you have. Actually I have heard my old amp successfully drive Maggies...hmm, I'm remembering The Musique Gourmet classical music store in Eugene had 1.6's and a Rotel RB981 (I think that was the model I had)...wonder what was different.

As soon as I traded out the Rotel for Hafler my system sounded better. Ah well both my present systems outperform that one by quite good distance. Interesting though that I have the same source I had back then in the Creek/Rega/Rotel setup. Also intersting that I'm now using low power integrated amps...who knows. I think it's that synergy word again...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 256
the 'S' word works for me.
Maggies are perfectly happy with the PS Audio which does indeed double up into 4ohms.
NOTHING I can do will even make it get more than barely warm to the touch, either.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1050
There must be something to this "breaking in/running in" thing.

The amp seems a little more tame now. I've been listening to it for a couple of hours everyday, and driving it hard sometimes. It sounds a little less grainy and harsh.

Maybe I'm just getting used to the sound of it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10382
Probably a combination, David.
Have fun.
If you need a RB985 5x100 Rotel power amp as well, I think I have one somewhere

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1058
My wife will kill me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10384
Cheap

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1059
I can feel my willpower slipping away.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10385
Just pick it up cheap...steak dinner included...and a go at the Classe

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1060
Nice!

I will definitely have to take you up on that.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10387
email me David, not the facebook, thats just for meeting girls, LOL

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1340
Nuck, I had a sense that you might be easy...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10389
I am now

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1125
For what it's worth, I have this amp driving my new Sttafs, and it's really not bad at all. The Sttafs are what I would describe as warm, laid back speakers and they take the edge off the Rotel nicely.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1639
Whos got Facebook? lol Nuck?

David, The Rotel you described as bad with the MA speakers and 'not really bad at all' with the Sttafs. Sounds like the Rotel is not fairing all too well with you. I could be wrong though.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1128
You on there Nick?

Actually I like the Rotel. The Rotel had a raw deal right from the start, though, since it had to compete with my Bryston monos.

Let me rephrase my original statement.

The Rotel is actually pretty good with the Sttafs.

How's that?

To me, the Rotel is a good amp for it's price, and compared to the NAD C272's I owned previously (which are about the same price), it's quite a bit better.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10465
I am on facebook strictly for the women.

And fishing is good!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1640
Good to hear you are enjoying it David.lol I was just playing around.

Boys PM me with your Facebook contact info and I will add you on. lol.

Username: Chilli2

Post Number: 1
Hi the all, I'm newber here, i gotta a new Rotel RB1070 to couple with my AVR Marantz SR7002. Care to share what interconnect cable you guys used for your pre to rotel RB1070 and any remmendation what brand interconnect go well with the RB1070.

Your input are welcome and much appreciated. :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1213
Hey Chilli. I was just using some extremely cheap Python cables I bought on ebay. They are actually not bad for the money, and quite neutral sounding.

Speaking of cables, I just received a Blue Jean IC I'm using for my CDP connection.

I'm a fan now. Also got some bulk 10 awg cable and spade terminators.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 802
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=5&post=1121398#POST1121398

Post Number: 2
David, Thanks for the input.

i still scouting around for IC. RB1070 seem on the bright side after a few days listening, i will be looking something like IC and power cord to tame down the bright sound produce by RB1070.

Any BR1070 user care th share what's IC and power cord you're using now.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10600
Sure, Chil
The 1070 is an accurate and powerful amp, and very good for it's price.
it has proven longevity in the line, and Rotel have built some very good ones.
And they are described as 'bright' about half the time, but I like the accuracy of a Rotel/Paradigm setup over a Yamaha/anything setup.
Cables won't change the presentation.
Speaker choice, placement and attention to room details can, and may, produce some very good sounds.

But the room tends to be heavy looking, if you don't read the best info and shop yard sales, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 552
Way to go David, spontaneity!
I like my Rotel 1070 int amp and Rotel RCD1072 which were 'pre-broken in', as is most of my gear. I have a feeling I may keep the int amp a long time, even after the cdp is gone.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1217
Since I got my Bryston 2Bs my Rotel was sitting unused in the basement.

I was going to sell it, but then I decided to set up a "spare parts" 2 channel system down in my rec room for music listening after my kids go to bed and my wife is catching up on her Y&R.

Right now I'm using an ancient Kenwood receiver as a pre, feeding my Rotel, my Paradigm Atom v5's on some cheap stands that I mass loaded with sand, and a SuperPro 707 USB DAC connected to a spare PC.

I now have wires, audio gear, speakers, HT stuff and xbox crap all over the place, but at least I can listen to music whenever I want.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10603
and I don't have a home for that spare Rotel 5 channel amp.
Maybe add it to Dave's pile

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1220
Nuck, my rec room is starting to look like Ashley moved in. But there's always room for one more.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10610
LOL!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1230
A bag of zip ties went a long way in tidying up the mess.

Too many cables.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 555
"...A bag of zip ties..."
I have wondered if there is a sonic disadvantage of bundled up cables????????????
I am not suggesting that it does, since I know nuttin bout tricity.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1234
I've wondered that myself Kevin.

It does look better than a room full of cable spaghetti, though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1715
lol tru dat yo.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1402
Kevin, I believe that you are on to something with that ?????????????

JV has posted previously information which supports that if my memory serves me correctly. Then again we are working off of my memory...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2929
If you have power cables running too close and parallel to interconnects you can get some interference. For the analog guys out there, it sounded like an ungrounded turntable when mine got too close. Not sure about a speaker cable's proximity to anything else.

I run my power cables on one side of the rack, interconnects on the opposite side, and speaker cables down the middle. If cables must cross, cross them at a 90 degree angle.

Just my personal experience. I'm sure different cables work differently, due to internal structure, shielding, materials, etc.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1239
When you say interference Stu, do you mean like, humming?

I don't have that but I've wondered if my obsessiveness for tidyness is diminishing my system(s) somewhat.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10614
That's right, Stu, the difference being that the balanced connections can run with the main power cables.
At least that I have tried.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10615
David, I don't think humming so much as cross-channel noise, of cable tension on the supports, fatiguing them. Excepting if the power cable is tossed in the nest, if so, then no soup for you!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1240
Ha! OK, Nuck.

Might be something to address in my system.

I have recently become somewhat zip-tie retentive.

Post Number: 3
Hi to all, is Quad speaker a good match with RB1070, becos i think of getting one, tks

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2931
David,

"When you say interference Stu, do you mean like, humming?"

Its hard to describe. Kind of like telling your mechanic the sound your car is making. I'd describe it as a pulsing buzzing/humming. Maybe a staticy buzzing and humming. It sounded pretty close to when I forgot to connect my turntable's ground wire.

Different wires behave differently, as Nuck pointed out. XLRs and DINs don't seem to have these problems. I'd imagine a power cord that has some mystical material in it and wire orientation would decrease it as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10620
Stu, the balanced connection removes the earth from the connection, and provides a seperate reference to the output circuit instead.
You knew that, of course.

by providing a seperate reference, the circuit is able to assume the gain(3 db or more) without giving up ground floor noise.
It works!
I can flat out my kit, no noise. None, at wide open amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us