Sealed box speakers or ported

Anonymous
Which gains maximum movement of the woofers? Which is more acoustic?
Would love some knowledge
tnx

Max
Hey,
Well I am not an expert but from MY experience a ported box is better. It adds bass response plus it helps the cab from vibrating. For example my old dynacos have a sealed box and when you put a glass of water on top of them and pound them it will shake violently, my dcm's with 2 3inch ports hardly move the water at, if any. So thats my take on the situation but there are many more guys here that know a heck of alot more than me.
Max

timn8ter
A sealed cabinet will give you a smoother low frequency rolloff and lessen the chance of bottoming out the driver at high volumes. A ported cabinet will give you more LF extension (lower frequencies) but once the resonant frequency of the system is reached there is a sharp dropoff. Ported cabinets tend to be more "boomy" than sealed which may be acceptable for home theater applications. Sealed enclosures are generally preferred for music (other than rap, etc,).

Anonymous
Thanks guys
Would it be foolish of me to drill port holes on my seald box speakers?
If you think its a good idea to drill the holes, my speaker size is:
25" high
14" wide
9" deap
Where should i drill the hole ? Back,front,up down?
Thanks again

Max
Hey,
Well what are the speakers, how big are the subs? I honestly don't know if its a good idea and I would't recommend it though. Usually the speaker designer/manufaqcturer builds them for best performance so if there isn't already ports it's probaly for a reason, but I could be wrong!
I would wait to hear from others before doing it.
Max

timn8ter
There are some factors to consider. First, what are the mechanical and electrical specifications of the driver(Theil/Small parameters)? Next, what is the volume of the enclosure? I'd recommend you do a little reading before you start drilling holes. Check out:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org
Loads of good info here.

Anonymous
The woofers are 12" mid 5-1/4" and 7/8" tweeter
thanks

Max
Hey,
Yeah I dont know what to do about that?
Max

G-Man
There are good and bad performers of both sealed box and ported speaker designs. If ported were better, everyone building box speakers would be building ported designs. There are a lot of variables in building speakers and a huge difference in tweeter, midrange, and woofer costs and performances. Also big differences in crossover prices and quality.

Anonymous
Thanks so far guys
I just want to get more bass extensions my 12" woofer seems to max out too soon and I understood that a port should do the job, so if anyone can give me an idea of where to drill my port (back,front,up,down?).
If you still think that I'm taking a big chance tell me and I'll forget about it.
Cheers

Max
Hello,
Well if you are gonna do it I would say either on the low back or the high back. I would still wait to hear more recomendations.
Max

Hawk
I would not drill holes in my speaker! They are designed as a sealed speaker and drilling holes will only make the sound more ragged.

However, if you are really intrigued by the idea, let me suggest that you need to find the calculations by Dr. James Theil, published sometime in either 1977 or 1978 in Audio Magazine, for the size hole to have for a particular driver and cabinet volume. If you don't get the right size hole, you will cause a lot of distortion, often referred to as the "chuffing" effect - a common problem today for many low end subwoofers that I have heard.

Anonymous
Thanks all
I'm dropping it finnaly
tnx again :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us