Newbie- Stupid question. 150 watt speakers & 70 watt receiver

pne123
OK, this a dumb question.
I have a pair of klipcsh rf3 ii rated at 150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak)@ 8 ohms.
I have a onkyo receiver that put out 70w per channel min. driven from 20hz to 20khz w/ no more than .08 total distortion.

these speakers go loud!. I do not want to blow them up, is it possible w/ my receiver? I believe that it is but I turn them up loud but I do not know what is TO loud for the speakers. any input is appreciated.
thanx

What is the max watts out on the receiver? My understanding is that they should eiether match, or the speakers should be rated higher than the receiver. This is assuming that the receiver is rated at the same impedence as the speakers.

pne123
my manual does not say what the max watt is just that the min is 70.
the speakers say 150 watt and 600w peak. i know my receiver is no where near the 600 peak

Okay, you should be fine, as long as the impedence is matched (both at 8 ohm).

G-Man
If the speaker isn't distorting you are fine. If it audibly distorts and sounds strained or the amp starts to clip you need to back off on the volume.

Anonymous
G-Man is correct!!!
As long as you are not hearing distorting coming from your speakers you should be alright. Underpowering your speaker is what causes distortion/clipping and that is what blows speakers.
It is always good to try and have a little more wattage going into your speakers then they are rated for.... More watts means cleaner power!!!!!

PNE 123..Nice to meet yea...
Well i think your ok, There is only one thing i can see that might hurt you here, but thats a long shot !!!
No speaker like's distortion, Remember a good rule is, about half way on the volume knob there on your onkyo receiver that put out 70w per channel min. Is about Max'ed out..ok...Any more will into peek's..more and more, and you find that your >>>
.08 total distortion rating will go up big time...Since you exceeded your manufactures rating on your onkyo receiver.
Also running a EQ high up, will bring this on just a tad faster as well, so be carefull of that fact.
You said it plays loud, great !!
Want it louder get a higher power unit. These speakers you have are sweet, and like any will take some abuse, since your not a wild man << thinkin >>, and don't have that wide open for hours on straight, where things do and in fact heat up, your ok, in my books..Clean Watts is what its all about..
I have heard your speakers.>>sweet
have fun..
ps...Depending how you have your speakers set up, and your room of course, play with it, might just get lucky and get a better sound. Easy enough to move them back, everything to gain. Other than a few min's of your time.
Since your speakers take some as i call it >> NICE WATTS..Keep looking around for another unit to power then by, it will just make a better match for your whole system.
And in fact if you do just that, don't think as you doubled your wattage, expect great gains..Noo my friend mabey a tad louder your going to get 2 to 3db...But its all good...Have funnn !!!
Donald L. Suedmeier
Dazzz@Earthlink.net
.08 total distortion.

John Allen
The speaker's power rating is what it can safely take.
The receiver's power rating is the max it CAN deliver, on full volume with a big signal. You rarely get up to that.
There is no min power on the receiver - just turn the volume down as far as you like.
Onkyo is not saying 70W is the min power. I hope. What they mean is the max power it is capable of delivering is at least 70 W.
Anon Sept 16 is correct. The greater the power of the receiver/amp, the less chance of getting into distortion, the real killer for speakers, not to mention ears. If you drove those 150 W speakers with a 300 W continuous amp, there is no problem. Just don't turn the volume up full.
I wish these makers would take care, and be clear what they mean.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us