NAD T7X3 Receiver with SACD and DVD-A?

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
I have the NAD T773 Receiver and I am looking to but DVD with SACV and DVD-A capability, and my question is how it sound ? Is there a bass managment on the receiver if I were to connect the DVD-A and SACD through the 7.1 analog input ?
And is there an option to set the receiver to ERAS mod with this DVD-A and SACD ?

Thanks, Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 41
i asked NAD tech support (via email) if the 773 had bass mgmt for the 7.1 analog inputs and got the answer: no. i am in the same boat as you and am wondering - can't i just get a dvda/sacd player w/bass mgmt and achieve the same end as if the receiver had it?

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 118
Intuitively, my guess is that you're probably better off getting a player with bass management, instead of using the receiver's, anyway. Otherwise, the receiver may have to convert the analog signal to digital first (and then back to analog) in order to apply any bass management. The player, on the other hand, can apply bass management to the original digital content.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1374
Darryl is correct, I think. The answer is, you don't need receiver bass management when you play SACD or DVD-A, it is all done in the player. It has to be. That 7.1 analogue input to the receiver is like the CD input, only with more channels. That is to say, the signal enters the receiver in the analogue domain and stays there, just getting amplified. Very well, in any NAD, imho. You would not wish to convert it back to digital for processing.

Equally, EARS gives a nice matrixed, simulated 5.1 from stereo sources, but it works in the digital domain, and nothing like that (Prologic etc. ) compares with the sound quality of a real, multi-channel source. So you don't need EARS with DVD-A or SACD.

There are a bunch of us new to DVD-A (and SACD) arguing about things in Home Audio > DVD-A & SACD.

You will see come good recommendations of players there. After months of deliberation, "My Rantz" has just purchased a Denon DVD-2900 (plays DVD-A and SACD), "Adam" has a replacement, under warranty, of the same model, and I am sure they will have some more things to say very soon. If you are interested, see June 10 onwards on Plunging into Multi-channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us