Some good ideas for the best subs for 600$

Username: Fataskins

Somewhere, Arkansas U.s.a.

Post Number: 1
Im selling some rockford fosgates and need some ideas for buying some more. I don't want 10''s and i dont want any thing that is gonna blow out my glass. Ill spend 600 or a lil more for the subs. Also if u no a good amp that will power the subs thats not to expensive give me that too.

thanks for any help available

Moab
Unregistered guest
Look no further then http://www.svsubwoofers.com

Unregistered guest
I have two perfect 12's, very loud. One kicker solobaric s12l7 with enough power is louder in a large ported box. Your best bet is to buy the s12l7 put it in a regular 1 foot box and run a phoenix gold xs series amp or phoenix gold xenon mono 1 channel. You can buy the sub, box, and xenon amp on ebay for less than $600. The kicker can be extremely loud and tight, or comfortable and tight. If you choose to go with a 1 foot box not only will it be loud enough, but space saving as well. The kicker phoenix gold combo is best!

Anonymous

in your opinion, what are the BEST subs out there?

Anonymous

i have 2 12s Coustic and i dunno if they r the best ones or not. im still a noob in subs. i have a planet audio amp.

ABC
Unregistered guest
There's nothing better out there then SVS..

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 59
SVS or HSU

Toddo97
Unregistered guest
It depends on what your primary usage will be. I think SVS will be hard to beat if it's mostly HT use. If you're looking more for music, check out the UFW-10 @ av123.com. It doesn't go super low, but sounds absolutely fantastic for music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
In that case, a person is better off getting the VTF series (HSU) as they are tunable. I use mine differently with some music and it was better than when I owned the SVS. Both are so close that it is scarey! I think it all comes down to which name sounds cooler "HSU" was cool to me!

There is no difference that can be noted argueably in the same price range. SVS will blow away almost anything away with there high end subs and I heard HSU is looking into a 1000$ ++ sub to come out soon.

MikeyG
Unregistered guest
Let's face it - even a $12.00 woofer from radio shack can sound wonderful if placed in the right enclosure.

To the question of what is the best sub out there? - I don't think there is any one 'best' sub for all uses. Are you into musical quality (aka SoundQ) or do you just want some heavy chest pounding breath shortening bumps?

Do yourself a favor - spend a little less on the sub, spend a little more on the amp (try to get a dampening factor > 1000), and spend the time and money on a well constructed enclosure.

The enclosure is the key - if you are in to both musical quality and bumps, try an entry level JL audio sub in a box with mutable ports - i.e. build your enclosure to specs for a sealed enclosure with a port tuned for that particular enclosure, but have a method to close said port from the inside. This will allow you to have the boomy bottom end of a vented enclosure, along with the musical qualities of the same-size sealed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
MikeyG..........You are obviously new at this hobby!!! NO they don't all sound the same and the word "distortion" is a big factor!The enclosure is only 1/3 of the package along with the woofer and the amplifier!

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 63
I am very happy with my Velodyne CT-80. I've had it for years.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
You guys with the SVS subs...which model do you have?

These look pretty impressive and I wouldn't mind replacing my Velodyne CT-80 with a newer model. I've had this one for about 5 yrs. Just talked with SVS and he didn't even hesitate telling me I would notice a major difference. I'm looking to take my present system up a notch anyway. I want to hear what I'm presently missing :-).
I recently got the Nad T773 Receiver. I'm leaning on the SVS-PB12-ISD/2 sub. With a 45 day trial, you can't beat that. Thanks for mentioning.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
I was hoping to hear from you SVS owners. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 11
Keith, I just bought a 25-31 pc+ from SVS. Don't worry you won't need the 45 day trial period. (Just try to take mine). Awesome sub, great looks and customer service that is the absolute best. Buy one now and thank me later

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
What did you have before Kevin?

Bronze Member
Username: Kevin_eastman

Post Number: 12
Keith, I had a psw 303. I realize that I'm not qualified as an expert but I listened to a alot of subs around town (klipsch, polk ,velodyne and the b-w 675) before I bought this on a leap of faith. And some pretty damn convincing reviews by real experts. Read the pro's for the tech stuff but if you want my gut feeling, that's were the svs hits you, go with these guys.I'm hesitant to talk about the spl readings I'm getting because I figure I must be reading the meter wrong or don't know how to use the darn thing. anyway enjoy the process, sometimes it as fun as listening.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Thanks Kevin,
I'm not doubting you at all. I'm just trying to come to a decision on whether I'm even going to buy a new one. I'm very happy with what I have actually, which is a Velodyne CT-80. I forgot how much it was when it first came out. I've had it for about 4-5 years. Recently I bought a new receiver because I'm wanting to take my sound quality up a notch. I don't know anything about subs and just find it hard to believe that a bass only speaker can be improved upon very much, beyond a standard. Bass is bass I thought. I can only imagine that it would be more earth shaking. Can you describe what improvement you hear over what you had? Does it just make things shake more or does the quality of sound improve?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
SPL meter is hard to use with a sub. I adjust by ear to my liking. With mine, I use lower levels in movies and louder with music.

Unregistered guest
what subs should i get if the olyny thing i want is somthing that bumps hard & suunds good

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 164
Check out this subwoofer comparison:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=663&page_nu mber=1&preview=

Bronze Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 27
go with an eclipse ti 10inch and run it with a mtx9800 monod amp....it will run great...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us