Speaker Matching for ARCAM System

Firstly let me thank anyone that takes the time to answer this one, it will be of great help to me.

SYSTEM:

- Arcam A75+
- Arcam P75+
- Arcam CD72T

PROBLEM:

I really need some advice on speaker pairing for the above system. There are just so many choices out there that quite frankly its a fairly tiring job trying to find the "right" speakers.

My main motivation for this post is to enquire as to whether anybody knows of particularly well matched speakers, I don't want to go and spend a small fortune only to realise that I had not auditioned some obvious choices.

I value detail, insight, depth, clarity and openess above anything else. Having run a pair of Acoustic Research for some time now I have been spoilt in the insight/openess/detail area.

My AR's belong on another system which I am reluctant to move them away from since the system they are paired to would then lack speakers and i havn't found a better match for that system than the AR's.

So i figured i would start fresh with the Arcam system and buy some new speakers..

I have heard that the following speakers pair very nicely with the Arcam kit:

Tannoy Revolution R3
AVI Pro 9's
B&W DM603 S3

If you have any speakers to add to this list or know anything about the above kit in ref. to speakers that are known to pair well then please let me know..

My Budget is between £500($795) - £1000($1590)

Thanks,

David

Harry
I personally would pass on the 603. I think they are better suited to home theatre.

I would recommend the Wharfedale Pacific Evo 30 or Mission 782 (and if you can afford it) Mission 782SE for a listen, and if available in England, some Australian made speakers:-
Legend Kama III
Krix Esoterix Mk2

Anonymous
Nice system you are building - match them with the right speakers and they will offer quality sound.

Check www.Hifichoice.co.uk for reviews and buying guide - done very well.

You can chat alive and asks questions on www.audioasylum.com

Speakers are a subjective choice, and you must like them yourself no matter what anyone recommends, so I would try to hear many respected names in speakers and decide for your self - go with what the heart says. Different music sounds good on different speakers, so take your favorite Cds or Lps and hear them.

Try to hear :

Monitor Audio bronz
Paradigm
BBC monitor
Quad
Mission

Sights like www.hifi4less.com has good prices on the net.

Thanx for the input guys ... Between here and audioasylum.com I am getting some good feedback..

Yah I completely agree anonymous, my reason for posting this was to compile a list that I can go out and test. The problem many times is that dealers stock certain brands which obviuosly lessens your choice. In step the internet! one huge consumer research and resource library...

I am pretty much a HiFi newbie as this is only like my 2nd to 3rd year of being really in to it.

I started with a Technics stack (secondhand of course) with brand new grunting Wharfedale Valdus 500 floorstanders, respectable enough in many ways, or so i though but then a friend gave me a pair of Acoustic Research speakers and when i heard what they could do even with my brutish Technics amp I was utterly hooked i sold my stack + wharfedales and brought "proper" seperates. And very quickly acheived a world of difference in sound.

I now have a stunning sounding system in my front room .. Its a rotel(amp)/sony(cd)/AR(speakers) match that really does sound awesome and really didn't cost the earth at all..

Listening to say Fiona Apples' Love Ridden is almost tear inducing.. truly stunning

I recently re-arranged my room where my Home Theater system is set-up. I have an AR 15" sub, which now is on one side of the listen area and because of that, I have imaging problems. Unfortunately, due to its size, that is the only place it can be placed. To remedy the situation, I plan to replace it with two smaller subs on each side of the TV. Which would be the better route to go two 8", two 10", or two 12" subs ?. Another 15" would be absolutely overkill. The room is approximately 16' x 20' with a vaulted ceiling.

Anonymous
I have recently bought an Arcam A75+ with Quad 21L floorstanders and find the sound very clean and detailed with good depth and dynamics. A bit of space around the back is a good idea however. I used Wharfedale Evo 20s for a short while but the extra detail from the Quads is remarkable.

I have yet to bi-wire but will soon, or even bi-amp if there are any black P75+ available out there...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us