Decent subwoofer for around $200? Advice please.

Bronze Member
Username: Rash

Post Number: 18
I need a subwoofer for a 15X15X12 sunroom for music only (no HT) - mostly rock (Radiohead, Nirvana, etc). I will be using an Onkyo 8522 receiver and two Boston Acoustics Soundware speakers mounted at 8 feet high, 15 feet apart. Unfortunately my budget is around $200 preferred, $250 absolute max.

The Onkyo doesn't have a subwoofer out, so the sub will need speaker level in/outs.

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12842

Save your money. There's nothing worth buying at that price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well, I heard the AV123 X-sub aint too bad. i was hoping for some opinions on it and/or any others in that price range. I realize they won't be as good as higher end subs, but they'll certainly be better than the limited bass the Soundware speakers put out.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12845

If you wanted comments on a specific sub, you should have included that in your post. Yes, you can buy a subwoofer for under $250. IMO, it isn't worth the money when another $150 will get you a very good subwoofer from a company such as Hsu. Why waste your money buying low quality stuff when, for just a bit more cash, you can have something much better? The desire to have something now is the greatest cause of dissatisfaction later. Save your money until you can afford something worth owning.

And you really should resposition your speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 302
Jan's Rite. At the low end of subs, a few bucks makes a LOT of difference.

Until you raise the cash, and raise it you must, try relocating the BA Soundwares.
I looked them up and you will never get mass bass out of them and may even have trouble getting a sub to go high enough for a smoothe x-over, but you gotta make do......
Corner placement MAY give you a few extra db and a little lower, to boot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Jan Vigne - Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If and when I spend $400 or more on a sub, it will be for my entertainment room, not my sunroom. All I need in the sunroom is a decent quality bass boost. We're adding-on to the house, which is costing us over 90K, so an extra $150 or more can go towards many other things. To say my only choices are to spend more than my budget or buy nothing is not recognizing the specifics of my situation.

And the location of my speakers is limited by the design of my sunroom, so again, my situation may be less than ideal, but I'm trying to maximize my options with the money and logistics I have to work with. And that is exactly why there are subs priced in the $200-250 range.

So again, to anyone who may want to offer their opinion - if I have $200 to $250 to spend, what would you recommend?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Leo - the speakers will be in the corner, so hopefully that'll help.

Do you have an opinion on the AVC123 x-sub or the Velodyne VX-10?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 303
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

Do you live in Southern California or say....as far as Vegas?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

You can drop in and get 10% off for cash, which will pay for SOME gas and shipping.

This is about the entry level for a sub which is both musical and OK for HT.

Also, an extra 150$ on 90,000$ is .17% and can't be considered a deal breaker.
On a 300ft/sq addition that's .50$

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
leo - thanks for the info.

If it were just the $150, it would be a no brainer. As it is, the Onkyo reciever, the BA speakers, and several other "enhancements" were not part of the original budget for this add-on. There's only so much I can push the better half before she starts retaliating with Pottery Barn high dollar furniture and such. ;)

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1679
Rich- The AV123 sub should do u just fine for a sun room. I understand that its just a sun room. At that price the only sub that comes to mind is the basic, entry level Validyne at Future Shop/Best Buy that is 199.99. It will at least give you a bass boost, and it has speaker level in/out. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Nick - the only Velodynes I see on Future Shop start at $399. I've seen the velodyne VX-10 for $199 elsewhere. Before I posted this thread, I kind of had the AV123 x-sub and the Velodyne vx-10 in mind, but was wondering if there were any others worth considering. If not, which of those two would you recommend for my situation?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7367
Cheap Velos are terrible IMO. I don't know about the AV123. They seem to have a decent reputation for making acceptable gear on a budget. Probably as good as you will do on your budget.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 304
I'm not sure a sub is the best idea.
The BA Soundware speakers are 4 1/2" 2-ways that may not go low enough for a true sub X-over of 80hz or lower.
HSU makes a mid-bass module about which I know nothing except the advert on site.

Also, the room being square complicates placement. That it is nearly CUBIC is even worse.

PERSONALLY, I'd treat the sunroom system as background only and put the bucks in the entertainment room where you'd get the most benefit and 'wife leverage'.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
My problem is - the sunroom is almost all windows, and the only place to put speakers is in the corners, so they can't be any bigger really than the Soundwares or else they'll obscure the windows which a) looks crappy and b) will cast a shadow. So, I basically have to use a cube. (The sunroom does have cathedral ceilings, so it's not really cube shaped - 12 ft ceiling at the peak, 8 feet in the corners)

The Soundwares go down to 90hz. Will setting the crossover on the sub really sound that bad compared to 80hz? I mean, it's gotta be better than nothing right? Or no?

I hate to use the B word, but since I'm spending $300-350 for the Soundwares and a sub, would the Bose AM3 (two cubes and "sub") for $200 be an acceptable alernative?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 305
Rich,
You won't get any traction around here with Bose. In addition to marginal sound, I have looked at the 'repair' thread. It is both a long thread and sad that there are so many problems.

Sound is pretty non-directional at low frequencies. That's why, with proper location, a sub works as a single unit.
If the claim is 90hz lower limit, that is also probably at an attenuated level. At some point in turning the x-over of the sub to higher frequencies, it also becomes more locatable by listeners. A square room, even with a vault ceiling sure doesnt' help.....no way to tell without testing.

Some posters here think well of the Cheapo (50$) Insignia speaker which may or may not provide a single box solution without going thru the sub/integration hassle. Don't forget that the sub must also be wired, in your case it sounds like with speaker cable, to the receiver than the sub to the full range speakers.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, and with limited placement options. The wife is SURE to want her furniture a certain way.

Why don't you let her have the sunroom with the understanding that YOU have the entertainment room? A good table radio may be just the ticket for the sunroom, maybe the Tivoli #1, for 130$ which I find provides great sound anywhere.
Concentrate (the money, too) on the entertainment room.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
leo - thanks for taking the time to post.

Okay, so here's the whole deal - the plan is to use the A/B speaker switching of the Onkyo reciever - A for the sunroom speakers, and B for outdoor patio speakers. I wired the sunroom and (future) patio before the sheetrock went in, so the there is an in-wall speaker plate which connects to both the future sunroom speakers and the future patio speakers. The Onkyo will be in the sunroom near that wall-plate, and I'll just connect it with banana plugs to the plate. I can do the same with a sub, so no biggie there.

I don't necessarily care if I have top-quality audio for the sunroom or patio at this point, but I do need to use the Onkyo reciever for the switching, so I figure I may as well get some decent speakers to go with it. My original plan was to get a set of Proficient AW650 patio speakers for the sunroom - I think they'll handle the bass fine with the 6.5 woofer, and they're white, which is a must. But they're bigger than I want for those sunroom corners. THAT'S why I started thinking cube speakers and subwoofer.

I may just buy a decent sub at CC and see how the whole mess sounds, and if it's bad just return it and get the Proficients or even just use the Soundwares without the sub in the sunroom. If the sub/soundwares sound okay, then maybe I'll invest in a better sub.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2186
Never heard it, but people seem to like the low-priced Bic Acoustech H-100.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I think the H-100 lacks speaker level in/out.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2187
http://www.acoustechspeakers.com/showpage.php?brand=1&type=8&spkrID=26

says It also features an adjustable crossover, adjustable volume control, automatic signal sensing, high level inputs, and both Dolby Pro Logic & Dolby Digital/DTS inputs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Cool - thanks. Another option to consider.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us