Subwoofer specifications- actual or a con job -please help

ashok
i am a newbee to the audio scene.i have mission bookshelf speakers wih a frequency resp above 55hz and power 100 W. i feel the need for more depth and decided on a small powered budget sub. a local manufacturer claims the foll specs:
drivers: 2 X 5.5"
amp power:125 W rms
freq resp:20 - 150 khz
damping factor:more than 150
freq control:40hz - 120 hz continiously variable
e.q control:45 hz centre freq +- 12db
dimensions:(wXhXd)- 8"X15"X23"
is it possible to have such low freq in the cabinet with such small drivers? what do all these mean
is everything on the level??

John A.
It looks possible. There are several small packing-case shaped subs like this with two drivers. People will wonder who is the manufacturer.

timn8ter
With quality drivers capable of good extension and a well designed cabinet it's possible. Questions arise in my mind with undefined specs. What is the distorion level of the drivers? Freq response is 20 - 150 Hz but at what volume levels? As John says, it would help if there was a name associated. Not necessarily the people assembling the sub (although it wouldn't hurt) but the brand of the drivers.

G-Man
Odds are the distortion levels are astronomical and the db( or SPL) level is much lower at 20 Hz. It is VERY difficult to build a subwoofer with a smooth SPL graph along the 20-100 Hz frequency level.

The HSU VTF-2 and the PSB subsonic 6 are probably the two best under $500.

If this is too high for your apetite, you will have to make sonic compromises. "Sound and Vision" just published a take on about 10 subwoofers. It will show you that there is a tenuous relationship (at best) between amplifier output and SPL output at reasonable distortion at 30 Hz. It is much easier to slap an amplifier in a box than it is to put together a good woofer.

there are a lot of under $500 subwoofers with a lot more wattage than the HSU--but probably none that has as clean an output at 25-30 Hz. The PSB may be the only one in the ballpark.

I would go to Audiogon.com or some other site and see if I could get a used HSU or PSB or SVS that fits your budget.

Derek
That 20-150 is probably more like a frequency range than frequency response. There's no tolorance (+-2db).

G-Man's right. Even if that is the systems' "range", distortion and compression are probably so high or sensativity so low, it would be unmusical.

what should my interior square footage be if i was constructing a subwoofer enclosure for a MTX 10" subwoofer?

Derek
Which MTX 10" woofer? Ported or sealed?

Ported

Derek
Which MTX 10".

MTX Thunder 6000 10" Subwoofer

FUK U

Anonymous
i have a tercel. and i put duct tape on my rear lights to make it look like euros. do u think this is nice/cool or g.a.y? i spent alot of time on it. be brutal!

Derek
I had everything all calculated out and realized MTX has already done the work for you. See http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/thunder6000.cfm.

I would recommend the .88 cuft sealed and the 2 cuft vented because of their bass extension (F3).

This woofer is obviously designed for small boxes (I've used about 15 of the 8000s and they are as well). One thing is for sure - this woofer cannot be placed in a large box. That can be a good thing. Those behind-the-seat truck boxes would be perfect for this driver.

If you want to use a larger box, Infinity, Polk and Kicker make quite a few woofers in that price range that are optimized for the 1 to 3 sealed cubic feet range that can go down further than MTXs 6000 series.

Hope that helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us