Rega Mira 3 vs Naim Nait 5i

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

CA

Post Number: 45
I recently purchased Spendor S8e speakers to replace Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII. My current amplification is Arcam FMJ A32 integrated. Am thinking of replacing the Arcam with either Rega Mira 3 or Naim Nait 5i. Has anyone heard the Spendor S8e/Rega or Spendor S8e/Naim Nait 5i combination?? My primary source is Arcam CD82T. Looking for more warmth and fuller midrange than my previous Arcam FMJ/Acoustic Energy combination. Are the Rega or Naim enough juice for the Spendors at a moderate listening level - - mostly small ensemble jazz and classical music? Seldom listen to electronic music. Speaker cables are Nordost Flatline Gold.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2959
Neither the Naim nor the Rega have the warmth you claim you're looking for.

I am surprised at what you're considering. In many ways, moving from the A32 to the Nait5i or Mira would be a retrograde step. The A32 is a fine amplifier, and actually a touch on the warm side.. So too is the CD82T, and the Spendors are not renowned for being bright.

In my opinion, your problem stems from that Nordost cable. most people around here know that I am a true devotee of the Nordost Bashing Club. I hate the stuff. I find it clean, clinical, stilted and boring and in my view it ruins every single system I've heard it in.

So...you could say I'm biased, but the results you describe and my experience tell me that the cable is holding your system back. Now, if you go for other cables you may lose some resolution or some of that clean bite you get with the Nordost, but hopefully you'll get some slam and attack back. Have a look at the Chord or Townshend brands for a good match with Arcam.

After that, I'd say your weakest link is the CD player. The CD82T is a reasonable machine for a relatively high cost. In other words I believe it's OK but not for the price. Inserting something like a Rega Apollo or one of the better Creeks, a Naim CD5i ir CD5x, or indeed the Arcam FMJ player would bring you many benefits.

Bronze Member
Username: Arturgorniak

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 24
I am currently using creek classic 5350 SE with Spendor S5e and have been looking for warm sound also. I just got Cardas quadlink 5c interconnects that made my system sound very "tuby" and smooth. I heard Spendors S8e with Naim Nait 5i and the amp struggle a lot to drive these speakers. I never heard them with Rega combination but I suspect the same. I also heard S8e with NAP250/NAP122 combination and that is the point where you start appreciate Spendors!!!!!!!

I agree with Frank that Nordost is not consider to be "warm" cable. I used Blue Heaven in my system and after I switched to Cardas Quadlink I re-discovered my system again - sweet , warm highs with articulated bass........anyway, why would you want to switch from FMJ A32 to something that is a notch lower (Nait, Mira???)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2971
Hey Arthur, really glad to hear about the Cardas working for you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us