Hum in transformer

Username: Tcch

Post Number: 4
I have just bought a new NAD C355BEE. I was suprised from the start that there was a slight hum from the transformer - not much, but audiable and annoying. I expected to be dead quiet. Has anybody else some experience with that problem, maybe also with other amplifiers?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6806
Switch it out...if the next one has the same problem look at other products.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12594

Do as you're told!

Several reports of similar problems with NAD products. Don't bother trying to repair this amp. If you just bought it, swap it out for one that doesn't make noise.

Silver Member
Username: John_ashman

Albuquerque, NM United States

Post Number: 203
Tcch, if there's a hum, they'll swap it out. I assume you mean from the amp, not through the speakers. Just a loose winding which can happen in toroidal transformers. We've seen it with many manufacturers. It's pretty rare on an NAD, but it happens.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6808
Used to be quite common with Rotel.

Silver Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 120
..and Marantz as well.
The ones that have a class a switch: PM80, PM95, PM8000 and PM7200.
My 7200 has a slight hum, when resting my ear on the case, it doesn't bother me.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2904
Anything with a large transformer is susceptible to mains borne noise in the form of hum. True, some large transformers hum more than others, but in the end, if the mains is bad then the chances are your transformer will hum. This is true of any component irrespective of price.

By all means swap out the NAD, find something else, but this is the way of things.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all your comments. I will try to swap it.

About the mains: I carried the amp to a different locaton, where the mains should be ok. The hum was there as well.

Post Number: 6
An update: I tried to swap the amplifier. In the store, the salesman connected it: the hum was even bigger there. Then he connected a new fresh open C355BEE - the same hum there as well. On the other hand, I didn't hear any hum from different equipment in the store - including some other NAD high power product.

So I had to return it. And I am sorry for that, because otherwise I really liked the amp. To bad NAD was not careful enough about this relatively straightforward detail, because I would be more than happy to pay additional money for a higher quality transformer with this package.

Silver Member
Username: John_ashman

Albuquerque, NM United States

Post Number: 254
Interesting. We haven't had any issues at all with this piece. No noise, no hum, not at the store, not reported by customers. I'll look at it more carefully, but maybe there was a bad batch of transformers? How loud are we talking? From what I understand, physical hums are the result of a winding breaking loose from the epoxy. This seems to be more common with toroids for some reason, but has remained quite rare for us with NAD. When we sold B&K, it was a common and annoying hassle.

Post Number: 7
How loud are we talking? - Hard question. I was able to hear it from 3m in my quiet room. In the store I was able to hear it when I was close to the amplifier. But more importantly: I did't hear anything from other amplifiers in the store (and some other stores).

I belive NAD can do better, and probably they will do better in the next round of production. I guess I am just unlucky.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10181
Or NAD has transferred the old 'hum and hiss' from their AVR's to another product.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 909
Isn't that part of their signature sound?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us