Paradigm Monitor 7,11 or Studio 100 for room of 22X21 ft ?

C. Sun
I auditioned monitor 7 and studio 100 at dealer's audio room. They are both very nice although studio 100 sounds better. The salesperson strongly recommend me studio 100 because he said monitor 7 would not be powerfuly enough for my room.

There is no Monitor 9 or 11 in stock. and the salesperson said monitor 9 is a design failure and ask me either go with studio 100 ($2200) or monitor 11 ($1050).

Since price between studio100 and Monitor7 is big($2200 vs. 700$). I'm wondering if he is telling the truth or just want to sell me the most expensive ones. I'd like to hear you guys' opinions about it.

Having researched the Studio series for myself, I do believe that there are speakers within that range that are not as good as what they could be. Fer'instance, the drivers in the Studio 60 are the same as the Studio 40, which is a very fine booksheld speaker, whereas the 60's (floor speakers) are not near as good, probably because the drivers do not suit the larger cabinet. I personally like the 80's out of that series, did not try the 100's.

So if the sales person said the Monitor 9 was a design failure it would not surprise me.

HTH...John

elitefan
The Monitor 7 is fully able to fill a room of your size and the salesperson had eyes on a larger commission. I have heard all of the Pardigm's you mentioned and I think the 7 does sound better than the 9 even though it is cheaper. I do not agree that the Studio60 is not as good as the 40 but the question is; does the 60 sound that much better than the 7's to warrant spending nearly twice as much for it? I don't know for sure in my own mind. I would try a system based on the 7's first and you can always return them if they don't work for you. Your store should give you at least a week for returns. Good luck.

Idealconcepts
C. Sun --
I tried to decide with between 7's and 9's. I listened to the 7's and liked how they sounded, the 9's were only a $100 more so I went with the 9's. I like bass and wanted the 8in to add a little punch to the velodyne 12 (CHT). I am satisfied and like the sound of the 9's, even though I never compared it to the 7's at the store. I have not regretted buying the 9's, I'm powering it with a Rotel RMB 1075 (120x5) and Rotel RSP 1066. I've had the volume turned up to about 90% of max and did not hear any distortion. Whatever speaker you buy just make sure you have good clean power going to them. I'm going to purchase another set of 9's for the rears (replace the Polk R40s) and if I get bit by the HT bug again I'll move the speakers to the bedroom and look into starting over, maybe with Studios. Just remember its your money your spending and your going to have to listen the speakers so take into account what people say on here and even maybe some of what a sales person says, but in the end you should buy what sounds good to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us