PSB vs Klipsch speakers for HT and A/V receiver recommendations

Looking for opinions on setup which is better?

Klipsch Reference 35 series
RF-35 Main L/R
RC-35 Center
RS-35 Surround L/R
RW-12 Sub

or

PSB Image series
Image-6T Main L/R
Image-9C Center
Image-10S Surround
Image SubSonic 6

Also.....

Receivers I am looking at are the:

NAD T762
Yamaha RX-V3300
DENON 3808

What do you think about the above or suggest otherwise? I am looking to make my neighbors ears bleed!!!

Thanks

G-Man
Speakers are very much personal taste. All 3 receivers have more than enough power to drive either speaker set-up to as loud as they can play before the speaker distorts.

Personally I would get the PSB's. Paul Barton of PSB has been using the Canadian National Speaker Research Council facilities for many years--as have the Energy and Paradigm people.

You will get very much the sound that the recording engineer had in mind with the PSB's as I would bet that their frequency reponses are very flat across the audio spectrum. To some people the sound is dry--as they are used to over-emphasized tweeters and "bumped" midranges.

The Klipsch speakers are easy to drive and usually bright sounding. But if you like the way they sound there is no rule that says you shouldn't have what you want, regardless what other self-annointed audiophiles may say :-)

Anonymous
Go for Krell amp and TagMclaren spkr, it will blow them away and you won't be dissapointed.

elitefan
You have mentioned two speaker lines that could not be more apart in their sound. The PSB line is smooth,laid-back and mellow and the Klipsch are at the opposite end; bright, harsh and tinny. The only combo you mentioned that I would consider is the PSB's with the NAD receiver. Denon and Yamaha receivers are very bright and the Yamaha especially is hollow sounding. Denon or Yamaha with Klipsch is a disaster. Pioneer Elite or Marantz is the best way to go with Klipsch but I would never buy them over PSB or Paradigm. Monitor Audio is a much nicer line than Klipsch and would give you a better sound if you want something livelier than the PSB.

Hawk
Of your three receiver choices, the most power is available from the NAD. I have the Denon, and although rated at 100wpc, I sure can't find them. "Gutless" comes to mind. The Yamaha has an even lousier power supply (Yamaha's biggest weakness). The NAD, on the other hand, has a large Holmgren brand toroidal power supply which gives the receiver a high dynamic headroom (180 wpc into 8 ohms x 6), so if you want to make your neighbor's ears bleed, the NAD is the receiver for you.

I would agree with the elitefan about the speakers. Go with the PSBs, which also has a lower impedence rating. Thus, the NAD receiver will be pumping out something more like 210-240 wpc.

BTW, you don't live near me, do you?

I'm a little late on here but I have the Yamaha V2300 and it drives my Klipsch RS-3 II speakers extremely well. I think the Klipsch center and sub stand out better than other brands I've listened to. I think all 3 of those receivers are excellent. Look around and you might be able to find a discount on a RX-Z1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us