Tuning Fuses - Snake oil?

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisgwd

California

Post Number: 23
Anyone here try upgrading their fuses? I am just curious if this is fact or snake oil. Here are a couple of articles.

http://www.stereophile.com/powerlineaccessories/907fuse/
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/net/net.html
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44220

I have an Arcam AVR100 Pre-Pro with Mac MC7300 and MC7106 Amps.

Jan, Nuck, anyone?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12395

The reviews suggest there is a slight improvement in sound quality when these fuses are in place. I don't think I am worried about such small details. They're cheap so if you decide to try them, let us know.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9955
If you hear an improvement, then there is an improvement.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 57
sorry guys, pure bollocks

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 691
Have you tried them, Colin?

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 58
yes, along with various power chords, we were silly enough to have a bake off, where the ''boxes'' stayed the same, but we changed fuses, power chord and i/c's.
As a little back ground, I live in northern england, in a fairly heavy industry town. Just down the road is one of the largest integrated steel plants in Europe, so power draw can be heavy. I live in a house that was built in the early 1800's, and was last rewired in the 1970's, and is due to be re done, so you would think that anything that could improve the mains feed, would.

Minor differences in i/cs were noted by most present, not enough to move me away from Chords, as they seem to have a synergy with my cd player/amps etc. My speaker cables are quite long, so swapping those was not really practical. We tried various power chords, and ''posh' fuses, both together and independently, and I have to say, that either despite, or because of the state of my house wiring, no one noticed any change.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6606
Power cords make a considerable difference in my system...sometimes for the worse and occasionally for the better.

You should try the fuses Chris and report back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9961
Never discount what you have not tried, Chris.

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 24
OK, I'll give it a try. They are outrageously expensive fuses...but, a very cheap tweak.

I bet this sort of thing varies from set-up to set-up. I built my own power cables for my Pre/Pro and Plasma TV. They made a noticeable difference for the Plasma, not so much for the Pre/Pro. I did it more out of the fun of the hobby than anything else. Also, I think part of the magic of the Mac Amplifier performance is the power supply design. I kind of doubt Mac would save $30 on a fuse if it affected their power supply that much.

Made me wonder if my TV has a fuse though. I'll give it a try.

Thanks Guys

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 25
First Impressions

Well, I received the fuses last night. I got them from VH Audio. Chris is a super guy to work with. I've built several cables with his recipes that worked out really well. His website btw - http://vhaudio.com/

I got 2 fuses. Last night I did a very quick listen after replacing the fuse on my main 2 channel amp, a MAC MC7300. I will need to do some more hard listening. First impression is that it made a subtle, but noticeable improvement. It seemed a little less vailed and a little more engaging.

Chris

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10052
Subtle would be more likely than a great movement.
Sounds about right.
You can cryo then yourself with a tube of liquid CO2 or solid nitrogyn... look up diy and do dozens.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us