Need Help, Blew my moms speakers out.

Alright, the other day I got carried away with Godsmack on my mom's older stereo. She had 4 200wt speakers, she sold 2 and is now left with 2. The specs on the speakers are:

3 way speaker system
Impedance 8 ohms
input power 200 watts, music
Crossover Frequency 3000 hz, 6000 hz
Ouput Sound pressure level 92 db/W (at 1.0m)

As I said before I got carried away with Godsmack, I ended up blowing the tweeters and midranges on both speaker sets. I'm not too good with finding things on the internet, like the best deals, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me what type of tweeters and midranges I could get for this. Oh and the tweeters are 3" and the midranges are 4 11/16".

timn8ter
Not enough information. I'd suggest getting the brand name and model number then searching the Internet. Some manufacturers carry replacement drivers. If that fails, you'll need a crash course in speaker design because you can't throw just any old driver into a box and expect it to sound good. If it was that easy speakers wouldn't cost very much would they?

Ok,

Their made by Technics, the model # for the speakers are: HF842A532
Their Model SB 2865

I went to panasonics website, because they made the speakers. It gave me no info on the speakers. Do you have any suggestions on what to do. Or do you have any suggestions on where I can take that crash course about speakers.

Z
Hey, just out of curiousity, Would there be any chance I could just get new speakers with the same spec's as the old ones I blew out.

Hawk
Zack:

Technics speakers are not what I would consider quality speakers, hence you probably cannot find replacement drivers because there is no demand for the cheap stuff put out by the big Japanese companies. They probably blew due to amp clipping and inadequate protection in the cross-over. You are better off getting new speakers.

Your best bet is to buy some new JBL N38II from One Call (www.onecall.com) which they are offering for $140 each. That is $280 for the pair. They are a floor standing three way speaker and I guarantee they will sound a whole lot better than your Mom's old speakers.

timn8ter
I'll second Hawk's suggestion, just so you can get your Mom's stereo working again. I can imagine she's somewhat annoyed about that. Keep in mind that with that setup you could easily damage the system again trying to let the neighborhood hear Godsmack. Trust me though, not eveybody likes Godsmack. If you really want to learn about loudspeakers and how they work and are designed start by reading the Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual by David Weems. If you're not serious about learning, skip the book and keep the volume down.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us