Cambridge Audio 640A V2, is there anything better for my setup?

Username: Hifi_newbie

Post Number: 2
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for an amp that will go best with my system. I'm currently using a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 cd player and B&W 602 S3 speakers. The logical choice would be to get the matching Cambridge Audio 640A V2, but is that really the best amp (in more or less the same price range) for my system?

Would a Rotel or NAD or other amp go better with my set-up?

Anyone got any suggestions or comments? Please?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 147
i would imagine system synergy accounts for quite a bit.
that is if you like the components you are considering in the first place.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9888
Tony, what are you using now, and what do you want to improve upon?
Did you like what the cdp did for you?

Username: Hifi_newbie

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the cdp did wonders as compared to my old one. I was using a home theater amp, the onkyo tx-sr605. I recently decided to separate my system, one for movies and the other for music so now I'm in the market to buy an integrated amp. The onkyo sounds ok with some music but I have a feeling that the speakers and the cd player can do much better. The vocals usually sound good but the bass and some highs tend to be weak and unclear at times. Sometimes too, the vocals overshadow the instruments being played in the background.

Just want advice on what amp would be best for the system I've got, especially from those with a similar set up or are familiar with it. I don't really have the money to keep changing my amp so I'm looking for one that would jive well with my set-up whether it's from Cambridge or not.

By the way, my budget is a little more or less than the price of the Cambridge 640a V2.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 238
Well tony i just not too long ago added the same amp. The 640A was a nice improvement to my ears over my hk3380. But how will it sound with your b&w's? Will you enjoy it? See ideally do a demo. Rotel and bw are from all accounts matched quite for each other.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 304
I had the Cambridge and then made the foray into the world of tubes. You may want to check out the Jolida 1501RC, which can be had on Audiogon.com for about $500-550-
This unit has a tubed preamp with solid-state amplifier section. The tubes add a liquidity that's addictive.
Check it out. It's rated at 100wpc- and is currently powering a set of 87dB Dali Helicon 400 with no problem in my set up.
Good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 82
Tony, I rock the 640A v2 with Monitor Audio RS6's and I love it, but I have to say when I demoed the B&W's, I thought they were better paired with Rotel. Not in terms of level of quality...both sounded fantastic...but in terms of sound preference to my ears. So I agree with Chico, if at all possible try to demo before buying! If you can't find a dealer with several of these brands in store, there are some dealers that will let you take the amp home and try it out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us