Akai AM 65 Amp

Username: Brian_jones

Post Number: 1
Hi all, i have an Akai am 65 amp which has a great sound and I want to hold onto it. It recently developed a fault where the left channel is completely dead. I've found the problem and it's a transistor which has blown, the area around the circuit board is black where the transistor belongs.
I've made contact in Britain with Akai but I have had no response. I wonder whether anyone knows what the equivilent transistor is for the one that has blown as the code number on the blown transistor doesn't seem available anywhere, I've tried googling it to no avail. The code on the transistor is as follows:-
D1762
F D
Does anyone please know what the equivilent code is so I can do a repair and not have to throw out the amp for the sake of a transistor.
Thanks for your anticipated help.

Brian JonesUpload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9825
Brian, where are you located?
Any decent shop can replace the whole array(they will all fail), for easy and cheap.

Username: Brian_jones

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck, I'm based in North Wales, United Kingdom, it's not known for it's electronic establishments. I've got no problem in ordereing on-line, but none of the on-line shops seem to have the code of the transistor which is my stumbling block.
It's a good amp and I don't want to get rid of it for the sake of 1 component.
Brian.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9826
You should be able to cross-reference the # with any electronics supply house.
I cant make out the brand in the pic, but I think it is a FET. If you can determine the manufacturer, a supply house will provide options.
Replace them all, and use a heat sink compound to mount them.
Clean the heat sinks with acid flux before mounting them.

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 120
I will look this up at work on my next 'on' cycle.
We have an extensive collection of books listing replacement transistors for darn near everything.
Is there a mark on this transistor, or one of its mates? The manufacturer of this unit may be of some help.
You may also google 'semiconductor replacement' or the like.

The other problem is if as you describe, the circuit board is 'charcoaled', then it may be difficult to NOT have a low-grade short. Be sure to clean all that crap out of there and make sure all the traces (the shiney part that actually conducts electricity) are intact.

NUCK:: it's been years since I've had to do this, and I simply can't remember the name of the book.
can you help with the name?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 122
Try a NTE377
look up datasheet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9835
The thick book from NEC is the last tome I waded through.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 123
I just googled 'transistor substitution' or some such and got the NTE site. I did a cut/paste of the number provided by Brian and out popped NTE377.
Might even be the right transistor. At least it is a TO-220 which is correct.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 226
glad to see more AKAI users :-) I have an AKAI AM-A70 and I agree they are awesome amplifiers, I don't let anyone near it! It's unfortunate that you're having a problem with yours, if I could help I most certainly would.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us