SVS Sub or Velodyne CHT15

I need a sub for my Axiom M80 system, I think that I have it narrowed down to 2 subs. Please help. Either the SVS PCi Plus 25-31, down to 25 hz with 525 w. amp for $775 or Velodyne CHT15 that goes down around 23 hz with 300 RMS and 750 dynamic watts. Is the 2 lower Hz. from the Velodyne over the SVS even noticed? I know next to nothing about either sub company and need your help.

G-Man
You won't notice a 2 hz difference, if the distortion and output are the same. What you will notice comparing subwoofers is the db (loudness) output and the distortion as the subwoofer goes low and is played loud. Loudness (output) and the distortion at the output are much more critical than an arbitrary 2 Hz difference. It depends on the distortion and output of both subwoofers at 30Hz and 25 Hz.

I would always prefer a subwoofer that goes down to 25 hz with less than 2% distortion at 95 or more db's than one that can go down to 20 Hz, but once the db's go over 80 db's the distortion rapidly rises to over 5% and and at 95 db's the distortion is at 15% and more. That is what you need to compare in subwoofers.

The SVS cylinder shape is copied from an older HSU subwoofer design. I think HSU stopped making the cylinders because of its low spousal acceptance factor---it is not beautiful and because of its height, rather obtrusive looking. It is almost like cardboard because a cylinder doesn't need heavy wood bracing, but has wood on the top and bottom and has the advantage of not having parallel edges which can screw up sine wave motion. Most people prefer the looks of the boxier shapes and the sturdiness. The SVS is much lighter--saves on shipping and easier to move--great as long as you don't mind its looks, its huge height, and as long as it isn't placed in an area where people will kick it.

If you get a Radio Shack SPL Meter ($35) and can place it where it isn't too obtrusive, get the SVS. As long as its size and looks don't bother you too much. Otherwise I would get the HSU VTF-2 (at $500) or the HSU VTF-3 (at $850). These 3 subs are probably the best three under $1K. And are probably the equal or better than most up to $2K.

Not that the Velodyne is bad--it is quite good. I just think the bang for the back is much better on the HSU and the SVS subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us