Subwoofer in cabinet

Username: Elmerfud

Post Number: 1
Any opinions on putting a subwoofer in the bottom enclosure of the entertainment center and cutting a hole out? The cabinet bottom is about 3 inches from the floor and has openings all the way around. Trying to figure out how I can get a subwoofer in the room without making the wife mad.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 195
end table sub, auttoman sub, or a "pot" sub are all options.

you could put it in the entertainment system thing but beware of vibrations getting into everything that is on it.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1077
Rick, LOL I can relate. I have a wall cutout in my family room with top and bottom cabinet, right of the fireplace. The flat panel sits on the lower cabinet, all the gear below (glass doors), the sub and 2 Mirage Omni-stats are behind the flat panel.

No wires, no speakers, wife's happy.

Hey it beats TV speakers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the inputs. I am going to make an attempt at putting it in the cabinet. I'll keep the receiver in the other cabinet so it won't be affected by any vibration. Just ordered a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's and the center based on things I've read on the board. I don't have a dealer in the area so I haven't heard them, hope everybody on the board is not a Monitor Audio dealer.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12993
In trying this you have to consider the sub manufacturer's specs on enclosure volume. You simply can't put any driver in any box and expect it to perform as designed. Not to mention the material most home entertainment furniture is made of wouldn't be the choice of true audioholics. Also, what's the size of the driver? You wouldn't want the frequency resonating your entertainment center apart lol. Or maybe you do? Neat idea tho lol. Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 16
There are subs that are installed inside the walls or between the floor joists that are commercially made by Polk and others:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_nkw=polk+in+wall+subwoofer&_sacat=See-All-Categories
If you want to spend a lot less, going DIY is a great alternative. Go visit zalytron.com and contact the proprietor, Elliot. I'm sure he can come up with a lot of ideas for hidden bass.

Bronze Member
Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 17
BTW, I don't think that putting a sub inside your media cabinet is the best solution to your situation. It creates another set of problems plus you don't have much control over sizing, power, cabinet resonances, frequency extension, SPL capability, standing waves, etc.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the tips. So maybe I'll do some more research before I cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet. I'm actually building the entertainment center so maybe I'll surprise the wife with a table I can hide the subwoofer under.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us