Size Matters..

It is my first time with a home theater system. I am the type to buy quality the first time. Hopefully, I am making a good decision to purchase the H/K AVR525 as a start. I enjoy music and movies equally. Music will range everywhere from the loud and heavy to classical. Movies are mostly action.
I have spent the better part of today reading reviews on speakers from this site. Clearly, you all know what you are talking about. Until today, I had been heavily considering a BOSE AM10III surround system. The size of the speakers was one of the major attractions for me. However, I won't sacrfice sound quality for size.
Is there a solution out there that has quality sound, consummate with my to-be receiver, that is well hidden? I would like to stay below $600 for the 5.1 setup. OR, would you recommend a different setup that is cost effective (i.e. floor standing FL/FR, small surrounds, sub..etc.) Thanks for any input.

Steve

qdog
check these out, i had bought the Bose acoustimass 15, until i became educated...

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/rbhcompacttheater/

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/rbhcompacttheater/

Derek
Enery Take 5.2, Paradigm Cinema and Infinity sell high quality small speakers. Give the NHT SuperOnes a listen too. Even those little JBL/AR $299 5.1 sets sound better than Bose.

timn8ter
The ELF series from Creative Sound Solutions.
http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?make=CSS

Steve
Thanks, I'll look at those. What's your impression of the Polk 6700 series? The 303 8" sub or 404 10" sub is also another question.

Steve
..oh and I forgot. How does the Infinity Entra point Five rank out. The JBL SCS series is appealing, is that the one you meant? The Energy Take 5.2 is also appealing. Thanks for that.

Derek
Yeah those little JBL SCSs are a little squauky but for $299 with an amplified sub... and I don't think anyone makes smaller satelites if that's critical to you.

The infinity's have a typical infinity sound - a little dry and not very extended, but every year Infinity lowers distortion and improves efficiency. They're getting pretty good at imaging too.

Give the Athena Point 5 a listen too. I own a set and recently Best Buy started selling them. Sometimes they have them on sale in the $500 range.

Hope this helps

Anonymous
Steve...I understand you want to stay around $600, however you also mentioned you were one to buy quality the first time around, so you if you can bump that budget just a bit...it will pay off in the long run. My first bit of advice is(and if you've done a little more research, I'm sure you heard it)...don't buy Bose. It's just a name. Go with some of the advice these guys are giving on the message board...It helps out immensely! Next, give the speakers a definite listen, enjoy it, and go with what best appeals to you. My only recommendation...give Definitive Technology's Pro Cinema System a look (you can get the P.C. 80 system for a reasonable amount and if you can wheel and deal, you may find a great deal on the Pro 100's or 200's, which for the money have absolutely incredible sound w/ a sub that kicks hard. Check 'em out... www.definitivetech.com Have fun!

Steve
You're right that I can be coerced into the more expensive. The Definitive Tech. PCs looked good. I now wonder, how much would I gain in quality of sound by going to a system that uses two floor standing fronts. I can save up for the remaining pieces. Will I gain that much quality of sound that will probably end up costing me $1000 over budget.
Finally, let me say thanks to all of you who posted. I am taking your recommendations and heading out to listen to them live. Without you, I might have made a big mistake...(BOSE)..apparently.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us