Finding Best Speaker System for around 2200-3000

I am looking at two different 5.1 speaker systems. I need major help!!! First the Paradigm Speaker 7.2 w/Monitor 9s for fronts, CC370, ADP370, and PW2700 sub. And second the Axiom Audio Epic 80 system. Also a 4 ohm compatible receiver will be needed, I think the Axioms are 4 ohm. Thanks

IdealConcepts
I don't have a whole lot of years behind my HT experience, I'm only 25, had more important things to do but I purchased Paradigm Monitors for my HT set up, Monitor 9's (about $900US) for the fronts, CC-370 for the center (about $350US), Velodyne CHT12 Sub(about$500US), Rotel 1075 Amp ($999US), Rotel 1066 RSP PreAmp($1499US) but got both for only $2100, and looking to purchase Monitor 9's more or likely the 7's (about $700) for the surronds after the Rotel is paid off and I buy some new inter-connects and speaker wire. To many choices in brands and price, but so far I like the MIT's and replacing the Monsters with them. I want towers all the way around, just my preference. So totaling it up for the fronts, center, sub and surronds its just under $2500US. I have not compared them to Axioms so I can not give you a comparison between them. I can tell you I love the Paradigm speakers and would have bought the Reference Line (Studio) except bought a house to put the speakers in and need to buy the backyard and some new furniture. Just from reading about Paradigm Monitors and a couple Hi Fi audio stores they speak well of the Paradigm Line. I like the fact they produce almost all the parts and assemble the speaker in house and have strick tolerance levels. Just keep in mind the 9's are fairly large speakers. I'm looking to get a Mitsu 55 or is it 48 inch HDTV next year that should balance out the size of the speaker, right now they are next to a 32 in Panasonic that looks odd because they look too big. Just listen to both brands and decide for yourself what sounds better to you, what fits in your budget, and what size of speaker works best for your room. It's your ears, its your money, and its you who has to live with them.

G-Man
Both speaker systems are very good. I hope your room is large(at least 20' x 20', 15' x 25'-or bigger)--as those Axiom and Paradigm towers can be imposing.

Unless you are getting a special package deal on getting all the speakers of the same brand, I would switch out the subwoofers--particularly on the Axioms, but even on the Paradigm's. If you could tolerate the large size and looks of the SVS 25-31PC subwoofer at $775 it is far superior to either of those subs. I would say the same of the HSU VTF-2 at $499 and the HSU VTF-3 at $849.

I must admit my personal preference is to generally get 4 identical bookshelf speakers on stands and their corresponding center channel and then use one or two subwoofers like the HSU VTF-2's or VTF-3's. My attitude is why pay for the towers when you will generally be cutting off the feed to the the woofers in the speakers and taking over the job with the subs. Of course, if you listen to a lot of loud music in stereo in a large room, the towers make good sense.

Hawk
I like the Paradigms better than I like the Axioms, but that is a personal preference.

If you check this board for another thread about Polk LSi speakers (also 4 ohm) you will find a post from Paul who went so far as to contact Polk about a compatible receiver with 4 ohm impedence speakers. They suggested NAD, Adcom, B&K and Rotel as suitable to drive a five channel HT of 4 ohm speakers. Adcom are separates and they start about $2K for the pre/pro and the amp. You can get a 75 wpc (x 5) Rotel for about $1300 (the 1055). B&K receivers start above $2K. That leaves NAD for us common folk. MSRP starts at $649 for the 742, but can be had for less ($449). For your suggested system, I would go for the 752 (MSRP of $899) which can be had for about $725. The NAD's are sweet sounding receivers that will really get everything out of your speakers.

elitefan
Shaun,
Good choice on the Paradigm's but I was wondering if you compared the Monitor 9's to the Monitor 7's. I have done this with all 3 versions of these speakers and always liked the 7's better. They seem tighter in the bass and better balanced to me than the 9's. Just a thought.

G-Man
As an aside, I had been playing around with listening to my 4 Monitor Audio G10's--1 pr used as my surrounds. When I play them without the center speaker I have to be reasonably centered to get the optimal enjoyment. With the Gold Reference Center channel playing anyone can sit anywhere within the soundfield and get flawless sound. I was thinking the reason must be that the center channel uses the same speakers, but laid out horizontally. This fills in any off-axis anomalies in the 15 degree and 30 degree off axis listening, as basically the same speaker is broadcasting its soundstage on a horizontal axis while the left and right are broadcasting on a vertical axis. With the center channel playing with the others everything comes into incredibly sharp focus. It is like a cello there, a voice here, an oboe there--all floating in well-positioned space. Without the center channel I become much more aware of the speakers. With the center channel they disappear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us