Car audio in your home

Username: Seventipz

Post Number: 1
Car audio in your house is cheap an effective!!!......I got two 12 inch 4 ohm subs 1200 watts in a slotted box wit a simple 200 watt sony receiver an my room rumbles !!! So much better than buying a 400 dolla powered sub that won't even put out as much as a 100 dolla car sub wit box !

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1049
sure, if you like boomy and sloppy bass with lots of overhang.

Post Number: 3
Yea ....... NO Def not its sooo much louder an more pure than a little 300 polk powered sub those suck! But anyways if u have everything hooked up rite it wil sound fine !!!

Username: Pretenda

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 2
I am with Gavin on this one. Car audio is cheaper than home audio stuff for a reason.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
That is true but if u have everything nice an hooked rite u should be fine an won't have to worry about sh!t burning out

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5335
Just so you home audio guys know, this guy is getting laughed at in the car audio section as well........

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 179
Randy....is that you?

Just kidding.

Username: Stacks

Post Number: 1
hey ive got a full system from my car...2 12in 4 ohm subs 1000 watt amp headunit etc...im wondering how easy it is to hook this up in my room. whats the proccess here and what will i need?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2803
It's expensive to get a power supply set up in your room that will supply enough power (since one with enough power might cost $1000).

In fact, it would probably cost less just to buy a receiver and amplifier of similar power.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 196
You dont use car audio amps in a a home setting. Sure you can get a converter to power it but thats a bad idea for anything over like 50 watts. those converters are trash and will die.

Really the only option is to get a Sub amp that is built to plug into a outlet. that amp will then plug into you're receiver and thus you will have bass.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12904
Not to even glaze over all the power efficiency losses here in the conversion. Not that most kids living at home would even care lol.

And not all converters are trash. I have a small solar setup run off some solar panels that charge a 12v battery bank. I can power tools and lights for hours with my bank off a converter with great success. I have several converters. I do have a 2000w converter that is medium grade while my 1000w Xantrex model is premium. Some of the higher end converters run into the $1000's, for whole home use powered by battery banks that have 1000's of amphr's.

I got into it as a hobby and love the education it gave me in photovoltaics.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14636
Why do some idiots insist on taking car audio and setting it up for home use? Do they really think it is some great set up that nobody else have thought of? Maybe it is a niche that manufacturers have never really thought about! NOT!

Next we gotta requisition this guy a new name...Mike Hunt...how original!

Username: Stacks

the only reason i want to hook up my car system is cuz its sitting around colecting dust...my car was wrecked and the one i have now isn't practicle for the system, so while its just sitting there i figured ide hook it up the best i can and see what happens.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14638
Sell it and get home audio gear. Then get a new system for your new car when you get the insurance money.

Username: Just_car_justin

SydneyAustralia

mike, or anyone else. Could you PLEASE tell me in detail how to power my car amp, and also how to wire it all from my stereo to the sub through the amp and all that jazz!!!

would be much appreciated!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13769
I think we need to send you to the woods and bring back a switch lol.

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15092
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 128
Paul, just catching up on this thread.
Yep, not all invertors are junk. But I'll bet that your premium unit is true sine wave.....yes or no?
If yes, than it'll be ok for most electronics.
But if it does not have a true sine wave output, than you may have issues with electronics. But for lighting / laptops or appliances non-sine wave should be OK.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14379
You are correct Leo. The cheaper inverters are modified sine wave inverters, not pure sine wave. They're not recommended for long term use on just about anything with a motor. Compressor motors will fail prematurely when powered over long terms using them as power sources. (Refrigerators, tools, ect....)

The inverters you find in hardware stores and automotive outlets are these units. Good for camping and short power outages and such, never for a permanent replacement.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 139
Hi-end, hi-power invertors are also insanely efficient. Your 2kw model should be in mid/hi 90's.
Even at full blast, it should run cool.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 221
Justin / Patrick : sell the amp, buy a plate amplifier, cut a hole in your sub box or run it [very dangerously] outside of a box, but enclosed somehow. The backs of plate amplifiers are exposed parts that you absolutely don't want to touch when it's running.

You have the option of selling your amplifier and using most of that money to get a plate amplifier, or keeping your amp and buying 1 or more power supplies to wire to the amp just to get it running, the good ones ranging from 70-110 a piece, not to mention how sloppy it's going to look, not worth it.

Cliffs:
- sell your amp
- get plate amp
- enclose plate amp
- enjoy

sum it up? good!

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 222
And just incase you don't know where to get plate amps, partsexpress.com, edesignaudio.com, oaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us