What about KLH subwoofers?

College Student
So, I'm building myself a ht system for my college dorm room, and I need a sub. I can only budget $100 for it, but I'm no audiophile. It'll probably get used a lot more for music than DVD's, so I want it to be able to handle both well. I mostly listen to rap and rock, and mostly watch action movies, so that's the kind of sound I'll be needing the sub to reproduce. After shopping around, I found the KLH ASW10120, a 10 inch 120 Watt sub for $100. Is this gunna be the best sub I can get for $100 for these applications? Advice sincerely appriciated.

Hawk
Why would you want to have a subwoofer in a college dorm room? Besides taking up valuable real estate, I remember my dorm room was so small that there was plenty of bass just from bookshelf speakers. Even if they rolled off at 60 hz, the space was so small, we still heard the low bass.

However, if you must have a sub, the KLH is about as good as it gets for $100.

College Student
Yeah but for 5.1 don't you need a sub, lest all the bass gets directed to an unoccupied sub preamp out?

GT
"Yeah but for 5.1 don't you need a sub, lest all the bass gets directed to an unoccupied sub preamp out? "

No, not necessarily. If you tell your receiver you a running 5 speakers and no subwoofer, then the low frequencies will be sent to the main left and right speakers. I think you may have to set your main speakers to "large" but if you say "no sub" then the low frequency gets redistributed to the front speakers.

Hawk
I agree with GT. Set your speakers to "Large" and the bass info will not be cut-off.

College Student
OK but besides all that do you think that would be a good subwoofer for the price? Or should I get the KLH 10 inch downward firing subwoofer?

G.DawG
College Student,
Get the Jensen js1000-a it keeps up with my JBl pb-10 its 130 watts and a 12" downward firing driver you can get it for as low as 90$us or 150$cdn. You wont beleive that this sub was 90$ trust me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us