Are my speakers blown?

Anonymous
I recently picked up 2 JBL studio 310II's It sounds good and I know they are working good. How do I know if i'm giving them too much? I don't want to blow them, so how am I going to know? I'm not hearing any distortion Also if I did blow them how much would do you think repairs would be? Also how would I know if I have damaged the tweets or mid? Is it going to just sound like total crap or might you just wonder? Cause I'm running them off my computer with mp3's so sometimes I don't know where the glitch is made, in the computer, amp or in the speakers. I listen to mostly rap, or rock.

Thank you very much in advance for your answer

timn8ter
It's usually not difficult to tell. Pushing too much power or excessive distortion will cause the voice coil to overheat. Either it will quit working altogether or it will go out of alignment and start scraping both effects are pretty obvious. You should be able to tell when they start distorting. If they sound like crap that's a sign. Also, good sound will not fatigue your ears. Good sound makes you want to listen and not make you want to turn them down or off. If it bothers your ears, turn it down.

Anonymous
What is it when I smell something burning?

I have a 5.1 set of JBL speakers that say that they have 120 Watt handling each, and my Onkyo receiver only puts out 65 watts per channel, but for some reason when I listen to it even at 3/4 capacity of the receiver, I smell something burning.

Also, when a speaker manufacturer says it can handle 120 watts, is it kinda BSed like receivers are with their power? Is there a certain percentage i can take off of the so called max to find out the maximium safe continous playing volume?

timn8ter
Quote: "What is it when I smell something burning?"
I doubt it's the speakers. If you can smell them you'll probably hear them buckle too. I'd suspect the amp first. Is the equipment new? Sometimes there's contaminants on electrical parts that smells for a while but it should lessen over time. If it's older, I'd be careful with that amp. Something's causing it to overload possibly. Is your wiring configuration providing a load the amp can handle? If you like your music loud 65 watts may not be enough and your amp is working it's poor little butt off. Power ratings for speaker manufacturers will vary. A reputable manufacturer will tell you how they arrived at their rating. The best one's will say Continuous Power Max.

Anonymous
Well first off this equipment isnt new by any means, its probably about 4-5 years old. But up until recently, we really havent used it much, and I never had played it loud until now.

I checked again, and i distinctly smell a burning odor coming from the speakers.

They also sound pretty distorted at even medium volume levels.

timn8ter
I surprised they're still playing, although, it may not be the drivers but a crossover component. Any good at electronics and/or soldering?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us