How to blow speakers

Anonymous
I recently picked up 2 JBL studio 310II's and when I crank up the volume I can see a lot of movement in the subs, like a lot in some songs. It sounds good and I know they are working good. Things fall off the walls and stuff, but anyways, how do I know if i'm giving them too much? I don't want to blow them, so how am I going to know? I'm not hearing any distortion... but it's getting almost too loud to really know. Also if I did blow them how much would do you think repairs would be? Also how would I know if I have damaged the tweets or mid? Is it going to just sound like total crap or might you just wonder? Cause I'm running them off my computer with mp3's so sometimes I don't know where the glitch is made, in the computer, amp or in the speakers. I listen to mostly rap, or rock.

Thank you very much in advance for your answer

I would reccomend not turning your amplifier to the max because you risk giving your speakers distortion, this is never good for any speaker.
You will know that you are giving them too much power when they are not producing music accurately- basically the music will sound like it is slowing down a pace. On the repair issue I would say it would be close to what you paid for the speakers. When tweets blow they just plain don't work anymore, when mids, woofers, or subs blow they will basically sound like they are half blown and will move but not as fast and sound super muddy. As far as the computer glitch deal you might try moving the computers volume down a notch,-say it is at 100% go to 80-75%.

i've got a Kenwood 800w amp on a 1000w Diamond 15'. I was listening to music just like i always do with no distortions or any noises that sounded bad. I turned it up a little bit and the bass totally cut out. I've had it louder than that before with no problems. i've had it about 2 months and everything was fine. I did change the low pass filter down from 200 to 50 several days before. I don't think this should have blown the speaker because all it was doing was removing high frequencies. All wiring is fine, the amp comes on, and no fuses are blown. The amp only goes to the 15' but it doesn't move at all and no sounds come out. What happened? i was thinking mabey a shorted speaker wire but i haven't had time to test that theory. Also i haven't taken the speaker out to inspect it yet. Is this what happens to blown subs? Please help me get some sleep tonight.

ronnie
Where did you get speakers and what did they cost?
Were they brand new?

John A.
Anonymous. It sounds like it works fine. So don't fix it. If you take the cover off speakers, you can hear/see what the tweeter and mid-range are doing by getting up close, looking and listening, and just shielding each one with your hand. You can lightly touch and feel if the woofer and mid-range are vibrating and making sound. Better not to really touch the tweeter, but you will hear it OK, and notice the difference if you put anything in front of it, the treble is very directional. Speakers are pretty tough in normal use. You will soon hear it if anything goes.

Aaron. Could be many things. I don't think a sub driver just dies like that, and it is probably electronic, maybe the amp, or a fuse, in the sub.

Anonymous
is 50 below the response of your sub?, that could do it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us