Monitor Audio Speakers Silver S2 or Gold GR10?

Is it worth to double the money for the Gold GR10?
How's the sound of S2 compared to GR10?
I notice that they have about the same range of frequency (40-30KHZ) but the S2 has 7" woofer instead of 6.5" in the GR10.
I'm considering two pair of S2 or one pair of GR10. Please let me know about your opinions. Thanks

GT
If you've got a Good Guys close by, you should be able to check this out youself. You can find the closest dealer to you here. http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/dealers/index.html

What receiver will you be powering these with?

I've listened to gold, bronze and silver speakers and they're all very good but can't remember the details of each line.

music_lover
I have a denon 3803

elitefan
Music Lover
I have a Monitor system using the silver 2 as mains and love it but don't think you should buy them to use with your 3803. The Denon is to bright for Monitors. Try the Paradigm Studio 40 and the rest of the studio line if possible. Much better match with a Denon.

Music Lover
I auditioned the silver 1 & 2 and the gold 10 & 20 with parasound separate amp. The result told me that only the gold 10 sounds good. Second the silver 1. Silver 2 and gold 20 does not product good image and it does not resolve clear details. So, I think I'll get one pair of Gold 10. Sorry elitefan, I hope you still enjoy your silver 2.

elitefan
I would like to see some responses to Music Lovers claim that the Silver1[$660pr] images and details better that the Gold20[$3000pr]. Monitor owners and those familiar with these speakers; what do you say? To me that's a preposterous claim to make.

Music_Lover
Well Elitefan,

The Gold20 does sound cleaner compared to S1. But for imaging the S1 is not bad at all, it does have a little more noise than Gold20 of course!

I am very sure that the S1 image is very much better than S2 for sure. And I am 100% sure that the Gold20 can not produce as good image as the Gold10. You can go hear it and feel the difference.

I would never go for the Gold20 even if the price is the same as the Gold10. Remember, this conclusion is based on the use of Parasound Halo A21 separate amp to drive them.

elitefan
Music Lover,
My conclusions are from listening to these various Monitors through Classe separates and I'll stand by my previous comments. I have both the S1 and S2 and can't agree with you at all. The Gold 10 is a great small speaker but in my demo was no match for the 20. Come on Monitor people; lets hear from you!

Music_Lover
Elitefan,

Again, I would never agree on buying the S2 even for $500/pr. The S1 definitely beats S2 at both the price and performance. When comparing you can clearly notice the the S1 has much better imaging and has much less vocal distortion than the S2.

G-Man
I have 4 Monitor Audio G10's in my surround system, besides the Monitor Audio Center and their 212 subwoofer. They G10's are great---image and soundstage are astounding. I have played them through both a Pioneer Elite 49Txi and an Aragon 2007 amp and an Aragon Sounstage preamp, as I have two different systems. They sound great through both. I have found that unless your surround room is truly enormous that great bookshelf speakers image and toss a much more precise soundstage than tower speakers.

They can play loud enough to make your ears bleed without distorting---as long as you have good amplification. However, all speakers, more than any other component are personal taste. They are definitely brighter sounding than most quality Brit speakers. You may think that would make them particularly great for movies and less so for music. While they are great for movies, they are also wonderful for music on CD's, DVD Audio and SACD.

I have had numerous people over that have more expensive systems than this one---and not one hasn't been blown away by the performance.

Of course, you have to set them up properly, as you would any speaker system.

Anonymous
Music lover, if you are serious about music reproduction, you might want to upgrade your amp. If you don't have a quality CD player, that as well in the future. I personally think surround sound is a toy - dreamd up by corporations to sell us more speakers and receivers that do not satisfy.
I would go for quality amplification at your level of listening distinction. Perhaps acurus, adcom, or nad and above.

Music_Lover
Anonymous,
Does that include the NAD T762 receiver? Does the NAD T762 sound as good as separate amp rated around 100 - 130w x 6 channels?
Can you list some of the amp in the "above" category?

G-Man
It is obvious you watch movies and like surround sound. Hence, there is no component more important than the speakers. Second most important thing, if not also as important as speakers, are setting the speakers up properly (balancing the sound with a db meter) and having as good acoustics in your room as possible. If you have wood or hard floors, carpetting or an area rug is a HUGE improvement. Don't waste money on tweaky room tuning BS from any retailers---they are an extreme waste of money----ask any acoustic engineer. Certainly don't ask a retailer or tweakhead that has a fiscal or belief system based on BS physics piled high with phony sales pitch. Rugs, curtains, and rug or thick cloth wallhangings are great, if you find you need to TWEAK your room.

The Outlaw 7 channel amp and their top of the line
A/V preamp both list at around $900. They are nigh impossible to beat at the price. If you want a good receivedr instead, there are plenty to be had on sale under 2K that are excellent.

elitefan
Since I own both the S1 and S2 I am able to do an A/B comparison of these speakers in my home with my own receiver and I can say from doing this that while both are excellent the S2 is the better speaker for 2 channel music listening.The S2 fills my room with ease, sounds great while the S1 struggles to do this. The soundstage on the S2 is much wider and deeper and I don't hear "vocal distortion" with either model. This arguement is really splitting hairs anyway. Am I correct Music Lover that you have the Gold 10 and are driving them with a Denon 3803? If so I am surprised that they sound good at all since the 3803 is so bright. I owned this receiver for a while and could not stand it. Happy listening andI think Monitor fans really should'nt argue over which model is better. We should be glad we have the good sense and taste to be Monitor fans!

DAllen
Anyone here have the S6? I'm looking to pair these up with a HK525 through a HKPA2000. I also like to know if there is an online dealer for these as my local dealer wants too much $$$. They won't budge from $900.

giladespn
I just purchased the Silver series 6's. I think they are one of the best purchases I've ever made in the electronic field. I also have the silver center lrc, and for the surrounds, have the bronze sfx. since my receiver is a 7 channel, (Integra 7.3) I am looking for a back left and right speaker. Preferrably Monitor as well.

Any suggestions? Is the Integra a good match with these speakers?

I think music lover is a little biased toward monitors(bookshelf). I own the gr-20's and they image just as well as the gr-10 and are better balanced. Of course placement is more important with the 20's than the 10's, once you get correct placement they image just as well. Incredibly nuetral, EXTREMLY balanced. 20's are much more balanced than the 10's. Everybody is different though.

Anonymous
If I buy a pair of S6's rather than the S2's can I do without a sub ?
If not is there a Monitor Audio speaker that would qualify in either HT or two channel?

elitefan
Anon,
Don't know what you mean by qualify but the S6 is a great speaker and a real bargain. You need a sub with any speaker unless it has an built in sub. Monitor subs are kind of pricey so I would look for something else in the 10-12 inch driver size in the $500 or so price range. When I bought my Monitor system I kept my Def Tech PF12 sub and it works great with my Monitors. A sub is a must for movie watching.

G-Man
If you go bookshelf and can spend up to $500 on a self-powered subwoofer--get the HSU VT-2. There isn't a publication, from Tweako audiophile to Acoustic Engineering that doesn't rave about these. You buy them online from Hsu direct. I bout one and it performs much better than my Monitor subwoofer, which was more expensive. HSU has been in the subwoofer business so long that they probably have forgotten more about subs than most other speaker manufacturers ever knew. And since they sell direct, you can return them within 30 days if you aren't pleased and they cost a lot less than retail sold subs that are comparable. But to be honest I have heard only 2 or 3 subs under $1K that are comparable.

G-Man
I bought my 2 pair of Monitor Audio G10's from a reseller in the fall of 2002 from "audiovideo4u.com". At the time the listed for $1495/pr and I bought them for $1050/pr. They were great---I had a blown woofer in one and sent it back and they promptly replaced the woofer and sent it back. That was the one thing I was fearful of in dealing with a reseller and they came through with flying colors.

I doubt they are at that price anymore due to the fact that I think Monitor Audio raised the MSRP to $1895/pr. I bought them in rose mahogany colored wood (rosemah)--look great. Give them a try, I'd be interested in what they can sell them for now. I also bought the center channel for $698.

If you can get 2 pair of G10's for $2100 and the center channel for $700 and a HSU VT-2 for $500 you will have one enviable surround system. I certainly can't think of a 5.1 speaker system that is much better for double the price--unless your room is truly cavernous--like 25 feet by 30 feet. I have mine in a room that is 20 feet x 15 feet and it can play louder than I can stand without audible distortion.

Of course, the Silver series may be quite good too. I don't know. The above system would just be in my top 5 for those spending up to $5k on just speakers. I realize many people don't want to spend $3500 on speakers--so the above info (other than the subwoofer) may be for a small number.

Anonymous
I have had my S2's for 8 mos. now and having listened to the 1's and 2's extensively I have found the S2's have a fuller midrange and bass,can go louder(if needed)and image just as well as the S1's.If you are thinking of pairing them with a Nad product, don't bother I had them on a C-350 and they sounded muddy and harsh, although imaging and soundstage were okay. Try Musical Fidelity or Audio Refinement Complete(wonderful integrated).As for the G10's, they are definitely worth the extra for the additional resolution and imaging. The build quality of the G10's or any Gold series is impeccable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us