Home stereo amps

Alan Sackett
I have a turntable running through a shelf system right now and it isn't load enough. Is there an amp that is made to make it sound better?

G-Man
I presume your mini system doesn't have a phono input for a moving coil and/or a moving magnet cartridge for your turntable. You are probably using an auxilary input that doesn't have the proper gain. NAD, Creek, and a company called Music Hall i think have made $100-$500 phono preamps in the past and they may still be available. Preferably used so you don't have to spend a fortune on an inexpensive system. There are phono preamps that cost up to $5,000 and more---kind of insane if your entire system is worth a couple of hundred dollars. It is often cheaper to buy a receiver or an integrated amp or new preamp that has a built-in phono input.

Of course you could probably find online used equipment for less than $50 or build your own for about $25. Often a phono preamp is made for only a moving coil or a moving magnet cartridge. Make sure you know what kind and brand you have and the gain it requires.

On a wild guess maybe Radio Shack has a plug-in for an auxiliary input to make the gain proper for phono cartridges.

Derek
There is also a curve that is required for a flat net response or the sound will be very bass-shy.

See http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14088186&St=6126&St2=-55154136&St3=54986648&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=5380&DID=7
or
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F008%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=32%2D2002

G-Man's right. You might be better of finding a used DJ mixer.

Hope this helps.

Hawk
Obviously, you have an auxillary input that you are running your turntable through to get the sound. All you really need is a good quality phono preamp to put between your turntable and the receiver section of your mini stereo. I think the better thing to do is go to Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com) and look at their product listings for "Phono Preamps". The last one they list is a Sumiko phono preamp for $119 and it handles both moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) type cartridges, so it will work regardless of the type of phono cartridge you have. This is a very high quality product and you will not believe the improvement in the sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us