Infinity SW12 vs HSU VTF3 vs Infinity Mezzo 1.2S

Username: Grovest

Post Number: 1
Hi,

In the process of upgrading my home theatre speakers (going from 3.1 to 7.1). The fronts wil be Infinity ERS (i.e. built-in) and the surrounds (both side & rears) will be ES250. I would have preferred to go built-in all around but thought the accoustics would be better with this solution. Authorized dealer has agreed on price of $750 for all 7 speakers.

The woofer is the problem. The dealer is recommneding either the Infinity SW-12 which he will sell for $400 OR a 'used' Infinity Mezzo 1.2s he accepted on trade for which he wants $600.

The other option I am considering is an HSU (possibly VTF3 Mk3) for $750. Problem with HUS are than we are located in Canada so shipping & Customs adds on an additional $150 to the price.

The 'sound stage' is 14x17 but falls within and is open to a much large multipurpose area 24'x24' (ceilings are 7.5'). Floors & Ceiling are standard wood frame drywall construction. Flooring is cork over cement slab. Other than theatre seating for 4 plus 8 floor bean bags that the kids use for seating their is nothing to absorb sound in the space.

BTW: I know a little of this history of the Mezo. The place it came from actually used a pair of them which they just replaced with a pair Velodyne SC-IW as they wanted to hide the speakers.

After being made fun of for my first attempt a home theatre trying and being made fun of I am trying to do things right this time. Any helpfull recommendations would be greatly appreciaged!

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9313
Who made fun of you!?

Post Number: 2
I was the first of my university class to put in a home theatre about 7 years back.

Not doing my research a salesperson sold me on a Sony solution top to bottom (25 years ago the Sony name meant something other than overpriced and underperforming).

All the rest of my college crowd have since put in systems which cost half as much as I paid for Sony and sound twice as good. Whenever they are over I'm teased for paying too much for too little.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11802

Does that mean the sub must pass muster for the kids, yourself or your college buddies? Will the dealer allow an audition of either sub in your home system?

Post Number: 3
Since purchased the rest of the equipment from him he agreed to let me 'sign out' the SW12 & Intermezzo 1.2s. I still have the Sony main speakers attached but WOW replacing the Sony sub with the SW12 made more difference to the sound than running with no sub at all did.

I then proceeded to the Intermezzo... the difference their was more subtle... the speaker just seemed to bring moore realism to the sound. It is hard to describe but it was like you were on board the ship in Master & Commander when canons blazed rather than an adjacent observer.

When I played a test track I have of pipe organ music where you notieced the difference was when you closed your eyes... the Mezzo were just clearer and crisper... you could just feel the music that much more making the illusion of standing next to the pipes that much easier.

Yes, to pass the test with old college crowd the speakers have to trump the best of theirs while costing less (that shouldn't be too hard... even the SW12 does that - the best they have is a pair of 12" Polk Subs which cost $1600).

To meet my 'standards' I am just looking for speakers to provide the level of bass necessary to fully appreciate HD movies... in other words approach the level of base present in a movie theatre.

For the kids, they are all under 8 so it is simply a matter of not wanting them to suffer hearing damage by sitting too close to the front (one reason a down firing like the HSU).

We forgot for the Wife... who is in some ways sets the most demanding standard. To keep her happy the choice would have to be aestheically nutral to avoid clashing with her taste in decora AND not open the door to "Why did you spend $800 when you could have spent $450 for the same quality of sound" (i.e. if I were to step up to the HSU the difference in sound between that and the SW12 had better be impressive to everyone who listens.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11804

Stick with the better of the two you have now.

Post Number: 4
So then in your opinion the HSU doesn't provide the expomemtoa; benefit over average mid priced speakers form the likes of Infinity that 'everyone' seems to claim?

The Infinity Intermezzo 1.2 (the better sounding) had me a little concerned since it is a 'used' speaker with only a 90 day warrantee. It might have been an $1800 speaker at one time, but $600 seemed step with all the new subwoofers now availble. While for $400 the SW-12 seemed a reasonable compromise (less performance. but $150 in savings and a full warantee).

To pay nearly $800 for the HSU (basically double the price of the SW-12) there would need to be a quantum difference in performance (not just eje subtle differences I noticed between the two Infinity Models.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11805

I don't know. You're dealing with the last 1 1/2 octaves of music. Are you critical of the way a car crash sounds when using the sub for HT? Does the sound of a Fender bass plugged directly into the sound board remind you of a live concert? It doesn't me. Either of the two subs you have now beats the peediddle out of the subs your college buddies have; so obviously they aren't that critical of sound - just you.

Price seems to be a driving factor here. I don't believe you'll find an epiphany of "subwooferness" with the Hsu though I do believe it's the best of the bunch. Order one on home trial if you're really curious. The only thing you have to loose is the cost of return shipping. If the spouse will complain about that, then you have no other choice that I can see other than paying for a divorce lawyer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9327
If the sub can play music fairly well, it should be OK for movies. Unless you want to rattle the windows, then an entirely different type of sub comes cheaper.
It comes down to music or movies. Which matters more?
Remember that some soundtracks have lovely music in them, Orchestral, Organ and so on.
I like 'A bautiful mind' for music.

I tend to rather toward musical entertainment meself, but thats just me...so far.

I also like blowing up the death star, and I heard a REL sub (8") do so rather well.
Not the sub itself, mind you...

Post Number: 5
Thanks Everyone! Ended up going with the Infinity Mezzo 1.2S after managing to get hold of a HSU VTF2 Mk2 to try. The sound from the Mezzo was far more balanced with my other speakers and seemed crisper as well. As for absolute 'kick' the Mezzo may not have had as much way down around the 20 Hz and below BUT definately had more than enough unless my intent was to knock the walls down.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9411
That sounds just about right, Steve. That's just the balance I meant. Enjoy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us