Best Subwoofer for Under $200 ..............................

John
I owned VSX-811S with Bose Acous. 15 system and with Bose 161 for my Rear Centers. I am very satisfied with my current system except that I need more Bass. I was thinking about adding a Powered Subwoofer.

Which Sub should go with 10" or 12" and why?

Which is brand is good, looking on spending up to $150.00?

What specs should I look for??

How much Wattage, my Pionner is 100 X 6 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hawk
$150 is a very difficult price point for a subwoofer and I really think you should look a little higher. The power of your receiver is less important than the size of your room (since any decent sub is poowered and has its own amp).

I would strongly recommend you consider spending $200 and you will find some really wonderful products at that price point. Also, do not rule out an 8" sub, because a well built 8" is going to sound much better than a poorly built 10" or 12". In no particular order, look at the following products:

PSB SubZero-i: Available as a refurb from DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com) for $199. Very accurate 8" sub, which has much more power now that they have beefed up the amp (hence the "i" designation). Clean, accurate and well built. Should be a good match with your Bose speakers.

JBL PB10: Available from One Call (www.onecall.com) for $199. Strong and powerful 10" bass unit, but not as accurate as the PSB. A very good value, nevertheless.

Velodyne VX10: Also available from One Call for $199. I don't know this 10" unit, but I do know Velodyne, the king of the subwoofer market. Everything else Velodyne makes is extremely good, so I believe this one would be a very good value.

For your budget, I wouldn't even think of a 12" sub. No quality 12" units are available for less than about $350, so if you find a 12" in your price range, don't bother. Besides, your Bose could never stand up to a really strong 12" sub, so look smaller. On the other hand, I wouldn't go any smaller than 8".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us