I believe I got duped on "PALERMO HOME THEATER SETUP". Is this stuff really that bad?

Username: Agent501

Post Number: 1
What's up?

Yesterday I was scammed into buying this shady setup. I only paid $100, but I realize that is probably too much. I wanted to sell it on ebay to recoup some or all of my money but I do not want to dupe anyone in return.

I admit to being a newbie who knows next to nothing about home audio but can I quote the specs on the package in my ebay ad? Are the specs on the box actually accurate (and I just don't know anything about what they mean) or does the box flat out have incorrect information? What price could I expect to get for this thing anyways?

Any guidance whatsoever is appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much for your time, the information from the box is below:

Passive Subwoofer
-Dual 6.5 Subwoofers
-8 OHM Impedance
-Frequency Response 60 - 180 hz
-Sensitivity 91 db + 3 db

Center Channel Speaker
-2-4 Midbass
-1" Tweeter
-6 OHM Impedance
-Frequency Response 150 - 20 khz
-Sensitivity 89 db

2 Front Channel Speakers
-4" Midbass
-1" Tweeter
-6 OHM Impedance
-Frequency Response 70 hz - 20 khz
-Sensitivity 89 db

2 Rear Surround Speakers
-4" Midbass
-1" Tweeter
-6 OHM Impedance
-Frequency Response 70 hz - 20 khz
-Sensitivity 89 db

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8982
Hey, would Raphael lie?
And in front of congress?
There is life after baseball. Audio scams look good.

Post Number: 2
Now that the arbitrary steroids in sports reference is out of the way can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 103
Did the guy in van from the parking lot wearing dark sunglasses also have Gerry Garcia in a bag?

Just kidding man.

You paid $100. What's wrong with it?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5486
White van gear is often worth just slightly less than you paid...

As Marc, what's wrong with it?

Post Number: 3
I haven't opened it up so I'm not sure anything is wrong with it per say. I just realized I need an amp/receiver to hook it up and I don't have one nor do I want to purchase one.

I bought it with the intention of turning a profit, I'm not going to lie. I just want to know if anyone knows whether the specs are accurate or not? As in, can I sell this on ebay with confidence that I'm not screwing someone over?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5487
Who knows....

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/120899.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 8985
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't opened it up so I'm not sure anything is wrong with it per say. I just realized I need an amp/receiver to hook it up and I don't have one nor do I want to purchase one

Ahh, a music lover.

But you purchased the speaker set in a parking lot of a 7-11. The guy said that it was an 'extra' set that got shipped but not used. So you bought them, knowing that someone, somewhere was getting screwed, maybe just an insurance company or whatever. A 1200$ set, yours for a c-note.
Good thing you grew a concience now, Louis.
Enjoy your purchase powered by a pop-up toaster.

If you want to sell them, disclose the circumstances of the purchase, your motivation and vote green next time.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2135
Louis, you got scammed. No way around that.

I wonder how bad they could be for $100? They might be on par with an HTiB setup. But your real problem is that you have no need for them and just wanted to make a buck; I can't see that happening without you being the scam artist, which is bad karma for you.

Maybe there's someone you know who could use them. You could let this person audition them and buy them for the same price you got them for (or even less). If $100 is nothing much to you, then give them to someone you know who will be happy with them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5489
Sounds about right Peter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8989
For a c-note, donate the box to a womens shelter or a church fundraiser or something.
Then wash your hands.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10652
I think alot of us have been here before. At least approached anyway.

Years ago I was approached on the road by two guys looking for some titty bar $$ for some left over speaks from an install. They wouldn't even let me see inside the box. "Dude, just give us a couple of bucks man, you'll love them!"

They had invoices and everything. Well prepared scam. Once they saw I was too skeptical they rolled.

There are groups out there that try and fight back. Some even set up a fake buy and steal their bogus merchandise, just to deter them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8992
All fun and games till the .38 comes out in Baltimore.

It happens.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5490
Yep

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10657
Scam or be scammed.

You'd think they'd come up with a different angle by now though. It's the same MO for the last what, 20 years?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2387322419892514409&q=white+van+speaker s&total=28&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 137
Louis, broaden your entrepreneurial skills. You have a great future in the NOS tube business for alot more money.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 138
just get a So. California PO Box and you're good to go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8999
Ooohh, Louis be movin' uptown now!

Maybe a .45

A new white Dodge Sprinter.That thing is tall enough to sell panel speakers out of.
Just the frame mind you, no mylar or guts.

But they retail for 2300$, yours for a c-note.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us