Subwoofer Location behind TV

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 89
Is it a no no to put the subwoofer behind the tv even if it's in the corner? btw it's really my only corner because of the open floor plan.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1070
Lucifer himself will descend upon you if you even attempt that!

Corners are a good place realistically. Behind the TV with any luck means between your speakers, which should help at least a little with front stage imaging. But, with most things in life, trial by fire is the best way; just be sure to have some holy water nearby.

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 90
Well I've got some garlic handy at least to ward him off...doh wait that's for vampires..well I've got some holy underwear that might work ;)

I was reading about speaker placement on a google search I had made and thought it was mentioned that placing a sub between the two front speakers was not a good place.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11543

Sub placement is typically dictated by where it sounds the best. The most likely place for it to not sound good is some place where you would prefer to put it. Location by convenience is seldom, if ever, the best location possible. Subs placed between two main speakers will typically be centered in the room. Centering the sub has the problem of exciting room problems equally throughout the room. By placing the subwoofer to one side, you change the way the pressure wave excites the room problems by a small degree. I would try a few locations before I just stuck my subwoofer behind the TV since I doubt that will be the best location in the room you describe. Put "subwoofer placement" in a search engine for some ideas on how to get the most from a sub.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 347
Ha. Good post Stephen.

"They" usually recommend putting your sub in your seating position, then sitting where the you want the sub to be and listening.

So if you do this and crawl behind your TV, and it sounds good. So be it.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 801
"Sub placement is typically dictated by where it sounds the best"

LOL

Unless you live at my house.

I may rule the media room however when it comes to the common areas of the house I do whatever Marsh wants. She is adamant about not seeing speakers in any room outside of the media room. (How do you think Nuck ended up with such a good deal on those MA silver 8i's and the DCM Time Windows?)

I cannot stand listening to TV speakers, so my 2nd HT set up has my PSB 5i Sub and Mirage Omnisats all sitting on/in the built-in wall cabinet behind the Sharp LCD. Imaging? Not really, but it sounds 1,000% better than TV speakers and Marsh can't see them.

See M.R., I know a bit about WAF!

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

Post Number: 22
When I married.....20+yrs ago, I owned Magnepans.
Still Do.......
Stereo addict?
'You knew that when you married me!'

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8964
I am too tired to spell 'caveat emptour' leo.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 355
Hard to put photo frames on top of Maggies, isn't it? My wife doesn't mind all my speakers as long as she can put photos and nick-nacks on top of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

Post Number: 24
Scotch Tape and thumbtacks?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us