Book Shelf Speaker Advice

Username: Emg4th

Post Number: 1
Hi All-
I am looking for a pair of Bookshelf speakers that will serve as my only speakers for my primary audio/video set up (no subwoofer or surround sound set up). I have a Denon DRA-685 AMP. And the room is roughly 15 x 12 with the TV and speakers mounted in the middle of the wide side wall.

I would like to get the fullest sound possible for both music (mostly rock) and movies.

Constraint 1: Size - I have to fit these speaker on a shelf that is only 10" tall and 10" deep.

Constraint 2: Price - would like to stay in the $300-$500 range.

I have looked at the BW 686's but they are a bit too large. Any suggestions that would comparable in performance are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 525
Paradigm Atom's V5. Infinity's. PSB's. All make good bookshelf speakers in that price range. The Atom's are the smallest in size I would think, could be wrong on that though.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 478
If possible I'd look into NHTs offerings in the classic series. Your budget could get you the two's (I have a buddy who owns em and loves em, and I am equally impressed when I visit) Or, if you could find used, or up the budget a hair or two, the classic threes would be a step above the twos as far as bass output is concerned, the three's are a little fuller, but both image well, have a great soundstage, and neither one lacks in the bang for buck category.
Worth an audition anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 526
Yup, I havnt heard NHT, but read a lot of great things about the classic series in a number of articles.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 332
I own the Atom v5's, as well as some ancient PSB Alphas. The PSBs are quite a bit larger than the Atoms and they sound GOOD. I would recommend either one actually. I love my Atoms as well. The v5's blow away previous versions.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1051
I hate to break this to you, but there are no bookshelf speakers that will sound especially good when placed in the manner you are planning. Anything in the $3-500 range would effectively be a waste IMO.

And heck, even the little Atom is (marginally) taller than 10". Yeah you could lay it on its side, but thats asking for even more trouble in terms of audio quality.

Effectively, I would suggest either finding a different spot for these speakers. Otherwise, just get something cheap, because the compromises you are making in placement will pretty much negate any gains you get in terms of speaker quality.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 333
Anyway you can put them on stands on either side of the TV?

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 479
I have to disagree w/you stephen. The setup my buddy uses his twos on in pretty confined, which, actually doesnt smother the sound at all, bass is reinforced a bit, but doesnt become muddy or boomy, soundstage, imaging, and depth of these little guys stays pretty much the same as when we pull em out into the open. I would think something that is pretty bassy to begin with would be more of a problem. I do though agree with maybe finding better placement, but some people just dont have that option, like the OP, and can still get quality playback. JMO

Username: Lonewolf0715

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 2
Dumb question, perhaps, but can any of these speakers mentioned be stand-,pimted? While space isn't a prime consideration in my particular room, and have never used speaker stands before, but conceptually, I think stands might be a nicer look, and I hear, may present a better sound,as well.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 334
If you have no choice but to put your speakers on the shelf you could give these a listen:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000F S10087382&catid=

I have a pair of these in my kitchen mounted up high in the corners on shelves, and they sound remarkably good for small speakers.

Cheap too.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 480
Stand mounts will work on any of the above mentioned, and quite a few more not brought up as of yet. Plus, you'll get to address your placement constraints, and have more leeway to fine tune your placement.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1053
Heck though, even the Classic Twos are too tall.

I'm very surprised they didn't significantly improve in imaging & soundstaging as you moved them out into the open though. That isn't exactly normal.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 481
I was quite surprised myself Stephen! I was actually trying to show him what a difference he would have when given a bit of room to breath, and to my dismay, all we got in return was a bit more bass? One more helpful tip from me down the drain! Once again, the room comes into play.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 766
I have a pair of Mirage Omnisats that would work for your situation. A friend of mine has a set of modded NSMs that would also work nicely.

http://www.miragespeakers.com/omnistat.shtml

http://www.nsmaudio.com/brochures/5broc.html

The white ones near the bottom for the NSMs.

Username: Emg4th

Post Number: 2
Thanks to everyone for their insights and comments. I appreciate I am making some compromises here no matter what, but the advice is very helpful.

Based on a review of most of the suggestions, I am leaning toward the NSM Model 5's. If anyone has any strong opinions on whether to step up to the Model 5SE or to avoid these guys altogether, let me know.

Otherwise thanks again.

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1372
I've heard good things about the NSM, but If I was intent on getting the most out of my 5-bills, I wouldn't think twice and would jump all over the Monitor Audio Silver S2 for $449 from http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1373
Monitor Audio Silver S2 review: http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/907/

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 123
PSB image B25's great detail in your price range

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
Those MA S2 originally sold for $750/pr., They're real wood veneer, and sound considerably better than that positive review would lead you to believe, IMHO.

I would say those PSB B25 are competitive with the Monitor Audio Bronze B2, which are similarly excellent and sell for $279/pr.

There are a plethora of excellent speakers below $500, many under $300, some under $200, and I can even name several under $100, any of which may fit the bill.

I suggest you get out there and audition until your ears fall off, and then came back for some advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us