Today, this is all the stuff I heard.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 605
Went to my uni city in search of a job. Think I found one. Walked past Lancasters only hifi shop. Went in and now I have a new best friend!

I heard various speakers, amps and cd players:

-Monitor audio BR2
-Monitor audio RS1
-B&W 685
-B&w CM1
-KEF IQ1 (i think this was the model)

I heard them all through a Rotel amp, maybe the ra-01 or ra-04 I didnt look properly.

Then I heard a few through the NAD C352.
Then I heard a couple through the audiolab 8000.

Sound quality wise I couldnt actually notice too much difference in the amps except the NAD exhibited most bass and possibly most detail.

The Rotel I thought was a very neutral amp.

Listening conditions were very sub obtimal as they were all on one big shelf but the guy there was more than happy with me listening upstairs sometime!

The cd players were the last thing on my mind to notice any difference.

The new 685 sound terrific! They were my favourite of the bunch. The KEFs were quite trebly. Both Monitor Audios sounded the same with the BR2s having a bit more bass although I didnt listen for that long so I cant judge this straight off.

They had cyrus stuff, focal stuff, and more upmarket stuff upstairs. Because time was limited I had to go. But I have a new favourite shop, already!!

Just thought I'd share it with ya all!!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 444
Good stuff James.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 309
Good post J. I see Monitor Audio speakers all the time on ebay and I've always been curious as to how they sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
Their Silver and Gold Series David sound great to my ears. My dealer has the RS8's bi-amped with two C272's and a the 162 pre. Great sound. Love em.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 310
Cool. What in the Paradigm line (if any) would you say they compare to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
The Bronze series would be compared to Monitor Series. The Silver series would be the Studio Series and the Gold Series would be compared to the Signature Line. I would go Paradigm for Home Theater and Monitor Audio for Music. IMO. The RS6's are considered by many as one of the best speakers in the world for the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 607
They sound quite flat and balanced but they do sound pretty detailed. Suprisingly they're quite warm, the BR2s with a little more warmth than the RS1s i thought.

But really I've found there are 3 things which can affect sound greatly other than placement.
One is cable.
Two is what is used to jumper the speaker connections if not bi-wiring.
Three is ones ability to equalise..I use my computer as source and my soundcard software can use hardware effects-I can choose any frequency, any semitone and decibal drop or increase to a very specific amount. Para and shelf equalisation is excellent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 608
But still I'm not going to buy anything new because finally after much time and hard work and learning I've got the perfect sound (for the space I'm in).

Here is a picture from my primary listening position(a bed). Its a bedroom and a big mess because I'm preparing for uni. You should hear it baby!!!

In the uni room I'm going to try and space the speakers so I'm in a more central position.

And I cancelled my order for some Wharfedale Evos. These diamonds rock.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us