Oh no I am melting!

Bronze Member
Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 47
I just fried my MF A5 integrated amp. I was connecting an external Dac to my cdp and amp. The music was cutting in and out so I turned the units off and reviewed my connections. Everything looked good so I turned everything back on. It was still cutting in and out and while I was checking the connections the amp started smoking and sparking. I shut the unit down and was unplugging every cord I could get my hands own. My heart just sank. What in the would did I do?

After about an hour I plugged the unit back in and it did power up. I connected an old cdp and speakers. The right channel is nothing but a low scratching sound, the left seemed ok.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2386
Well, I'm not sure you actually did anything. The fact is that you checked the connections with everything switched off first and it was still cutting out afterwards, so it sounds to me like your amp was already on its way out and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Back to the makers I'm afraid...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8820
rover, the caps are painted to keep the smoke inside.
Once that barrier fails, it's the repair shop or the retail shop.
Sorry, Mate.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 48
Sent her in for observation. Hoping for the best, Bracing for the worst. Still under warranty but I don't think something like this is going to be covered. Still sick to my stomach.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8822
and open a window...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2128
Unless you poured water through the vents, dropped change in them, etc. you should be covered.

It doesn't sound like anything you could have prevented unless you outright abused it along the lines of what I mentioned above. A good dealer will make things as smooth and easy as possible. Did you buy from a reputable dealer?

Not matter how good the company is, there is always going to be a defective unit here and there. It sounds like you're one of the few unfortunate ones.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 49
No abuses Just turn on and play. I purchased the unit from Underwood Hi Fi. I have used them in the past. This is the first time I have had something go down. I am waiting to hear what went wrong with the unit. Right now it just bugs me not knowing what and why this unit literally went up in smoke. And of course if it can and or will be brought back to life and at what cost if any to me.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2389
Provided nothing fell into the unit, I would be very surprised indeed if you had to pay for repair. Let us know what happens!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 50
Hello,
I can wipe the sweat off my forehead. The unit has been repaired under the warranty and is on the way back to me. I was told that the right channel was blown. Not sure how that happens, just happy it is fixed and coming back.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2395
Excellent news! Congratulations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8829
Good turnaround time from the shop.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2399
Indeed, very good.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 59
Well...It has happened again this time the right channel has blown out. I am actually nervous to have this unit in my home. On two separate occasions in the past 3 months this unit has literally gone up in smoke. Obviously there is something seriously wrong with this unit. I have never experienced this with my other equipment that I have owned over the last 30 years.

The warranty is just a day or two away from expiring. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer. What would you guys expect from a dealer. Right now I am more than a little ticked off!

Not so much with the dealer but the situation and spending the $$ to ship this unit back for repairs and then always having that feeling that it is going to happen again.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 60
Sorry, It was the left channel the first time and now it is the right channel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9423
Sorry to hear that man.
The shop should have done a repair on both sides with caps and outputs in the first place. If they did, well...
I don't blame you for not wanting the thing in your home.
If they fix it, I would sell it ASAP.

Musical Fatality.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2349
I'd ask for my money back. Or at the very least store credit for the full amount. I know its not the shop's fault, but a few good shops I know would give a full refund or store credit and recover their money from Musical Fatality themselves.

Also, is it common practice to have to pay for shipping to get it fixed under warantee?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2350
Just like you, I'd refuse to have it in my home.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 97
That sounds dangerous, definitely. I don't think I could sell something like that in good conscience, however. Maybe a letter to the company is the best way to go.

It's frustrating enough when it takes Microsoft 5 tries to fix my Xbox. A true high end component like your amp should not incur those same frustrations.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2587
It's not unusual for a repair to simply take care of what's broken. One doesn't replace the wishbones on both sides of the car if one is broken unless one sees stress in the member.

I can appreciate that Musicrover is quite unhappy but that is the luck of the draw unfortunately. It sounds like the failures have been quite spectacular which is a little worrying but it means the parts that are failing are in the high power section of the amplifier. It's a little more worrying when one considers that this kind of kit is often left on all the time for best performance...

Musical Fidelity isn't in the same class as Naim and Linn for outright reliability but it's not exactly badly put together either. I think it's just one of those unfortunate things, although I can certainly appreciate that the exoperience may have lowered one's confidence in the product! If you're that worried about it, speak to your dealer and see what he suggests.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1792
Every brand and model has their lemons. One only has to scan the forums to know that. Personally, the A5 int amp is one of the best things to ever happen to my music. Hopefully, once repaired Pond' you'll be able to continue enjoying the amp.

I have a question though - were you actually connecting/disconnecting cables when the amp was switched on?

If so - that could cause a problem.

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 61
Well, it was not easy. "New" unit arrived and burning it in now. Sounds better than the old unit right out the box? Perhaps mind tricks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9513
You fallin' for that old Jedi trick, Rover?How are you running it in?

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 62
Return of the Jedi!

After I unpacked the unit I connected the cdp and tt. Turned the unit on and let it warm up for about 2 hours. After that I started playing cd's at very low volume for about 8 hours. Being overly cautious am sure but I will keep the routine for the next few days and add some vinyl to the mix.

Happy New Year to all!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9518
Thanks, Rover, you too!
You might want to consider moving the source through all of the other inputs as well.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1798
Good to read Musicrover - the MF A5 is the best thing I've done to our system imho - or at least on par with our NaimCD5i. Just seems to make the music really come out in all the right ways. So I hope what happened is a very rare occurence.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us