Which one is good Pioneer VSX-1016TXV or HK AVR 247

Username: Perkswilliams

Post Number: 1
Which one of these are good.
2076_310069809_316743263_tab=B%2C00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent ,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/kuro/product/details/0,,2076_310069 809_316743263_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent
or
http://harmankardon.com/specifications.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&c at=REC&ser=&prod=AVR%20247&sType=C
Both the speakers are in same price range.....
and What exactly is this HDMI Switching and HDMI Audio Video processing.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 135
Have you compared the specs? Have you auditioned each one? Which has the features you desire or need? Good is a relative term in this context. Only you can decide which one fits your needs. HDMI (hige definition multimedia interface) refers to digital transfer of video and audio using one cable.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 906
They both are good, but have a different sound. What speakers do you have? One brand may sound great with one of these, but not so great with the other.

Pioneer is best described as on the "warm" side of neutral, while H/K to my ears is more neutral...

neither of these is a bad thing. Some people, myself included, prefer a slightly warmer sound.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 293
I agree, they are both good units. When I was shopping around for a new receiver last spring I actually had these 2 units in mind. I ended up going with the Pioneer. I can't really comment on the sound of the receiver, since I'm really just using it as a pre-amp/processor since all my amplification is outboard. From what I remember, the H/K had a better sound for listening to music, though. The Pioneer ain't half-bad for that as well, though. The 7-channel stereo mode sounds quite good.

Post Number: 2
Is it the watts which you are reffering to as sound.
Pioneer - 110 watts / channel
HK - 50 watts / channel.

and pioneer has only HDMI Inputs/Output 2/1 - 1080p Compatible - (Video Only)
But HK has HDMI Inputs/Output 2/1
1.1 with audio/video proccessing..

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 910
no. the wattage output has nothing to do with how the receiver sounds. The specs are meaningless in determining how a particular product will sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Not true. Distortion specs, for example, may directly impact sound.

Post Number: 3
As far as HDMI is concerned which one is good .

Post Number: 4
In the basis of HDMI Tech which is Good.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 911
is HDMI something that you will use? Many people do not.

Pioneer is more than adept at applying technology that will give a pure picture. They build some of the best plasmas going IMHO. Why would they want to compromise the picture by using substandard equipment, especially if it is an all pioneer system.

In other words, Pioneer would want the plasma sets they produce to look great hooked up to this receiver.

Post Number: 5
I am planing for a LCD tv with HDMI.
A dvd player with HDMI support (with all mp3, wmv etc).
A 5.1/7.1 channel Surround speaker system. May be from Paradigm or Bose Acoustimass 10 IV.
I want My computer connected to reciever for utilizing the same set of speakers (for gaming, Films).
Also I want to connect my computer s-video port to get the screen in my LCD tv when I watch movies.
My interest are of Adventure/Action films , Rock/metal & classical music.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 913
"Not true. Distortion specs, for example, may directly impact sound."

This is true... you want a receiver with low distortion, but the distortion of the average speaker is typically much higher than what you would get out of a receiver, especially in the bass frequencies (sometimes on the order of 10% and higher) Either of the two that you are looking at would have much lower distortion figures than would a speaker.

IMHO, the Paradigm would sound better with the H/K and the Bose will sound better with the Pioneer.

However, I do not usually care for the sound of the Bose Acoustimass lineup. I feel that they are VERY placement dependent, and you will most likely get better sound out of the Paradigm speakers.

Bose Acoustimass speakers have a huge dip in the midrange unless the Acoustimass is positioned exatly correct, and even then, they are outperformed by a conventional speaker. They aren't outright horrible, but I have heard much better, especially with your interests in film and music.

I would recommend that you look at the Klipsch RCX lineup if you are looking for an excellent sounding, compact speaker. They are very dynamic, and will perform admirably with both the action/adventure movies as well as the rock and metal music. Classical is a tossup...some people love the Klipsch sound on classical, others hate it.

The RCX based systems are the Cinema 10, 8, and 6.

If you can go with a slightly larger speaker, the Klipsch bookshelf based systems will also perform fantastically.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/bookshelf-systems.aspx

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 413
Gavin- "They build some of the best plasmas going IMHO" I agree, especially their Elite Series. I feel the Elite series are the best picture money can buy. A lot of money though.lol

Arun - "May be from Paradigm or Bose Acoustimass 10 IV" If you buy Bose over Paradigm I will slap you.lol. Stay away from Bose, they suck, period. The new HDMI connection is the 1.3a. If you feel you need good quality video using HDMI from a receiver then go with the Pioneer. Personally im a believer of keeping the video and audio seperate, and base buying a receiver on sound quality mainly. But to each their own. Cheers.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 914
Nick, for his taste in music and movies I recommended that he also audition Klipsch. I feel that he may like them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
yup, that is a good idea. The Klipsch and Paradigm Monitor series speakers are very close in quality and price. Both I would recomend. Bose on the other hand.....not so much.lol.Cheers.

Post Number: 6
I feel Klipsch are good once.
How about these.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/b-2-home-theater-system.aspx
or

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-10-home-theater-system.aspx

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
I would go with the RB line. IMO. If their in the budget.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 294
Definitely go with the RB line over the B-2 (if you're partial to Klipsch). If you're on a budget (and still partial to Klipsch) the B-2 ain't half bad either. The center channel is the weak link in that system, though.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 916
I am not a fan of the Synergy lineup personally, but recommended the RSX (Reference Sat) based setups going on the assumption that the OP may be looking for small speakers (they mentioned Bose).

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Gavin is right, the Synergy lineup are not that great. Better than Bose though. Go take a listen to the RSX series or the Paradigm Lineup and see which you like.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 295
I guess it depends on your taste. I have a pair of Synergy F2s in my dining room, and I quite like them. Never used 'em for HT, but for music they sound pretty good.

Post Number: 7
whats that em you have mentioned David.

RX is pretty costly, but they are small.
How about all Referece models.
RB-10 bookshelf front PAIR
RC-10 Centre
RPW-10 Sub
RS-42 Back Surround

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 296
-- "whats that em you have mentioned David."

Sorry Arun, say again?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 918
Those are large floorstanding speakers he has, Arun.

I would recommend listening to the RSX and RB series, and seeing which you prefer.

Post Number: 8
"Never used 'em for HT, but for music they sound pretty good."

David, I was asking what was that

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 923
He has large floorstanding klipsch speakers, and has used them for music but never home theater.

Post Number: 9
Ok.....
Today I am gona take a demo on Paradigm speakers.

I have come up with 2 DVD players in same price range, Please suggest me which is good. Or if you have some other models, suggest them too

HK DVD 38
http://harmankardon.com/specifications.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&c at=DVD&ser=&prod=DVD%2038&sType=C
SONY DVP-NS90V
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1055 1&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11038468

Post Number: 10
No updates

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 924
I am not a fan of Sony electronics. I feel they offer marginal quality in regards to the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Audio reproduction is certainly not a Sony strength.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 926
exactly...

While I feel they make great TV's... I think that is all they excel at.

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
yup, pretty much. Good video products, horrible at mainly everything else.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Their clock radios are not too bad. Reception with that little wire antenna is respectable when compared to other similar products. The clocks do tend to lose time however. Their VAIO laptops are also decent. Rather have those than Dell, HP or Gateway. Toss up when looking at Toshiba.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 928
not too familiar with the puters. All I know is from friends of mine that own them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
So which one do you suggest as a good DVD player for nothing more than 200$

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 930
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp

The Oppo plavers have been receiving rave reviews from users and the press alike for both the picture and music performance. I believe there are users in the "speaker" forum who have experience with this player, and/or the Oppo brand in general, but if you have no more than $200 to spend, look hard at the Oppo, going by the statements that I have heard.

Ask over in the "speakers" forum of the home audio section if you want to reassure yourself of this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks Gavin... that was a real good one ... it almost supports every thing.....good spec.... Let me go around search some more reviews.

Tell me one thing .... will it support mp3, so that I can play mp3 songs....

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 932
I am not sure to be honest. But I know from general postings on the forums I frequent that the Oppo players are the best of the budget bunch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
Arun- My dealer carries the Oppo players and says they play everything under the sun. And have Multimedia card slots to boot. And come under 200 dollars in most cases.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 305
Where do you shop Nick?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks Nick... cheers.......
I am gona buy it... I have a OPPO Digital, Inc. near to my place.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
David-Red Ball Radio, Belleville Ontario. I grew up with a few of their installers and know the owner really well. I rather drive the 40 minutes there than shop at the local shops here, Just Hi-Fi and Linden Audiotronics. Just HiFi sell the highest end stuff but their service and prices leave a bad taste in my mouth. Red Ball carry, NAD, Bryston, Pioneer Elite, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Yamaha and more. Where do u go Dave?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8708
Ahh Belleville.
Spent many a night at the Best Western at the funky corner there, working in the area.
Never shopped there, though...

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
lol not much to Belleville. Nuck- Lived there for 2 years while attending college. Will never go back. Nothing there for me other than a nice guy with an audio video shop. I give him lots of business so he rewards me with very good deals.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 129
The Can$$ is now = to US$$.

Please, help us out and buy a truckload of Krell and B&K. A free photo of Hillary with every purchase.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 306
Nick, I shop at Stereo Plus here in Orleans (eastern suburb of our National Capital). Sometimes I shop downtown at the AudioShop.

Stereo Plus carry NAD, Bryston, Totem, Paradigm, DT. AudioShop carries a wider line than SP, but I prefer the service at SP. I've spent a truck load of cash there and they treat me accordingly :-) Was just there for a wine and cheese last weekend, didn't win any door prizes unfortunately.

Plus it's literally a 30 second drive from my house (dangerous sometimes, especially around payday).

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
lol nice David. Sounds like my kind of store.

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
Jaw- Lets hope the prices of our Electronics here drop the 24 percent mark up as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8711
Don't hold our collective breath.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
No, really, a free photo of Hilliary IS included with every purchase...

Bronze Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 75
Man....you guys have posted alot in a couple of days.......Sheesh....lots a reading.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8714
OK, so lets do some research and come up with a reasonable conclusion for Canuck consumers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8715
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/09/21/shopping-parity.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Nuck- we should find a good audio dealer in Watertown, NY. Cheap electronics.lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Good article, read it. Nuck, you truly are a Man for All Seasons.

Per the article, we are also throwing in a copy of Bill's "GIVING", so, come on down now to shop and save.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8716
A new thread is in order here, with a Canuck slant.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
nationalist.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8719
secularist.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help