Is a smaller woofer an audio advantage?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 590
I've been thinking and wondering if a smaller sized woofer is more benefitial in that it can move and respond faster than a larger one. Is this true?

Im saying this because my current speakers have a 5" (actually 5.1") woofer and my new ones will have a 6.5" woofer (actually 6.8")

Thanks

JJ

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 954
Don't worry about it.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11288

There are many advantages and disadvantages to both large and small drivers. Too many to list here, but you should forget the idea that size indicates "speed". This is an enduring fabrication that is completely without foundation in today's warket. Buy what sounds best.

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
Cheers, I wont worry about it too much. Although i did wonder to myself about the market creating the 'enduring fabrication'.

I shall find out for myself wont I.

Jan, I do have a question for you specifically-do you 'believe' in standing waves. In the audio advantage of curved cabinets or do you consider this at all an enduring marketing fabrication. Just curious on what you think.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11289

Well, probably you won't actually find out. The relative speed of a driver is the result of several factors, most of which are not published for assembled speaker systems. Mere position in the room can give the effect of a faster driver. How the enclosure is supported can do likewise.

Here's one thing you can count on. If the two differently sized drivers are operating up to the same crossover frequency, the smaller driver will have the more consistent and evenly distributed dispersion. As the wavelength of the reproduced frequency becomes smaller than the cross section of the driver, the driver begins to radiate in a more directional pattern. So your new 6.8" driver may sound a bit more directional in the midrange and might require more accurate placement. You can use this to your advantage or disadvantage. Of course, everything changes if the filters are at dissimilar frequencies and/or the slope is not similar to your old speakers.

Certainly I believe in standing waves inside a cabinet. But a speaker designer would have to be very sloppy to allow such problems. And, in the whole scheme of things, there are far more important matters to consider.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 959
I don't believe in standing waves. I think they're a fabrication of the establishment in conspiracy with the leprechauns.

Silver Member

Post Number: 592
This is one of the main reasons I've reserved some Wharfedale Evolution 2-10 speakers, because I believed so much in the standing waves theory. They're usually £360 but managing to get them for £200.

Thanks for that Jan, but theres two things which do confuse me. If standing waves are infact a matter, why do so many companies-being the majority have square cabinets!!
Of course the evolution 2-10s do have upgraded technology which I read about in the pdf manual.

But as you said, room placement is very much key as I've found out.

If the midrange has more directional placement, wouldnt that mean imaging would be more precise! I'd use this as an advantage here.

I haven't commited to buying the speakers yet, but I have been thinking whether or not to cancel the order. What do you think?

p.s. Specifically reserved the evo 2-10 and not the evo 2-8s because I've had to put a high shelf minus 3db gain on upper frequncies (set to my speaker crossover of 2200hz) on my current diamond 8.1s. In other words there's basically too much treble for the speakers.

pps and a -5db drop at 100hz.

ppps Nowhere has the evos for demo and I go to uni in 2 weeks.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11292

Why would you assume directionality would benefit imaging? A basic problem with any multidriver speaker is the discontinuity between the increasing directional upper frequencies produced by the larger driver and the wide dispersion of the smaller driver (tweeter) which will be reproducing those same frequencies throughout the crossover region. This area of dicontinuity in timbre and dispersion is a failing point for many speakers and a major reason for the existence of single driver designs be they dynamic driver or panel based systems. Certainly the coherence of a decent single driver can create more accurate imaging than most multidriver systems can manage.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 128
In theory, Jan is correct.In practice however, some multidriver units do outperform some single driver units. It all depends on how the theory is applied to construction.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 896
sure...

I'd believe that a Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy would most likely outperform a pair of Insignia single driver speakers from Best Buy.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 960
Insignias are a coaxial 2 way design Gavin, not a true single driver speaker, FYI.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 898
oh that's right...

I was thinking of the Bose 141, but it slipped my mind.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11295

"Jan is correct."

You've come to understand the basic facts of life.

You can leave now, wiley.

Forever.

Go away.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Memphis MC-2500D, 2 15 RD Audi... US of A

Post Number: 1843
thats not nice.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11297

Neither is wiley who will soon chime in that you are his new best friend as he has run off every other new best friend he has cozied up to on this forum and, therefore, has no friends on this forum.

Beware. Check your vaccinations.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
I neither have nor seek friends through this forum.To do so would be shallow and the kind of thing that Vigne customarily does. He has quite a number of sycophants here.For me, if you're right, you're right. And when you're wrong, you're wrong. When Vigne is right, I acknowledge it. When he is wrong, I call him on it. It's that simple. Unfortunately, he can't stand to be told he is wrong-the sign of a petty mind.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
Gavin, I guess that's what you get for trying to be smart-something clearly out of league.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 912
Are you back from the laundromat already? That took less time than I expected.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11307

And didn't help.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11308

They probably kicked him out when he tried sticking slugs in the machine and striking up a conversation with a five year old. Of course, sniffing the "April Fresh" fabric softener while it was still in the dispenser didn't help his cause. Poor wiley, he don't know right or wrong. That's one reason he's almost always wrong. The other - he's an idiot.

He got this one right by luck, "Jan is correct."

You can go now, wiley. The dog catcher's coming for you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
No can do. Not until you leave.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11317

Brilliant comeback, wiley. And you worked on that for what ... three days?

"Jan is correct."

You can go now, wiley.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
You first.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11324

Only took two hours, He must of had some help.

I got it. That's what your Mom tells you, eh, wiley?

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
"Or, if it's easier, just tell us about your gigantic Radio Shack speakers in your single wide mobile trailer. How's your Mom feel about having to push her walker and oxygen tanks around those suckers? Bet she yells at you, huh?" Jan Vigne

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11332

You're very sensitive about abusing your Mother; aren't you, wiley?

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
"Or, if it's easier, just tell us about your gigantic Radio Shack speakers in your single wide mobile trailer. How's your Mom feel about having to push her walker and oxygen tanks around those suckers? Bet she yells at you, huh?"

"You're very sensitive about abusing your Mother; aren't you, wiley?" Jan Vigne

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11335

Is that why the police are looking for you? Bad wiley, bad!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11338

Stop posting, wiley. You've ruined enough threads for one day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
And you haven't, of course? What a sap.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 4551
Oh looks like we've got ourselves a "Spampire" that needs to be put to rest!

Okay Wiley don't be a wholly okay now piss off you spampire!

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8730
Gee Wiley, when Cocoon calls you a goof, things are bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
The sad thing about your response Nuck is that Cocoon probably thinks it's a compliment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us