Speakers that match well with an HK AVR 445....

Username: Grooveyguy

Chilliwack, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1
Recently picked up this receiver and now want to replace my old mission bookshelves. I was considering some JM labs chorus 706 or totem rainmakers but have only been able to hear them off of denon hardware. Anyone know if these match well with HK? And can the HK run a 4 ohm speaker ? As I do believe the rainmakers are 4 ohm. What other speakers should I consider? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8674
JI, what is lacking in the present setup for you?
H/K can and will drive difficult speakers, first hand experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8675
not familiar witht the receiver you have, I am speaking in generalities here.
The avr 65 and the avr 435 that I ran would power speakers with 3.2 ohm loads quite well.

Chilliwack, Bc Canada

Post Number: 2
My old missions are hand me downs, and I would like to replace them with something newer, and better. My main concern with the totems, as I will get 4 of them, is overdriving the receiver. What speakers did you run with your HK?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8676
PSB mainline Stratus Silvers. Stil have 'em. Never an issue. 3.2 ohm and odd phase angles, about 35 or so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8677
The H/K's that I ran had a lot of guts against tough speakers.
The Totem's that you are looking at would do better with better gear, like a lot better.
If a receiver is the best for you right now, so beit.

Cheers!

Chilliwack, Bc Canada

Post Number: 3
A reciever is the best I can get now, I can add an amp later. Have you heard the Focal Chorus series with harman kardon?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8688
I heard the 826 with a NAD setup and found it boring to death. The H/K might be close to the same, not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2035
Personally, I don't believe you need to match speakers to your receiver so much as be aware of the limitations of your receiver. If the receiver can't drive a hard load, don't give it a hard load. For that, you'll need to know the impedance curves of the speakers you are considering. Few are purely resistive at 8 ohms across the frequency band.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 944
so... you are telling me that I can pair Klipsch up with Onkyo and it will sound good?

BTW... great to see you back Peter!!!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2037
Depends on the Klipsch. Some are notoriously hard to drive (e.g. RF-7), while some are fairly easy (e.g. Klipschorn).

Thanks, but I'm only visiting! ;-)

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 946
I believe that Onkyo receivers have a terribly grainy sound, and that Klipsch speakers exaggerate this issue.

That was my point.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2053
Flew right over me... Sorry about that.

If a receiver has a grainy sound, then I don't see the situation where that could ever an advantage. But I guess you wouldn't want to use revealing speakers with it.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 947
I agree that matching the speakers to the receiver isn't always the best issue, but if you have a receiver with a known "issue", you need to be careful of your speaker choice.

My favorite combo for Klipsch is still Pioneer Elite.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2058
I agree that matching the speakers to the receiver isn't always the best issue, but if you have a receiver with a known "issue", you need to be careful of your speaker choice.

Absolutely.

My favorite combo for Klipsch is still Pioneer Elite

Never tried, but I'm happy with harman kardon.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 948
Peter, Pioneer Elite has a rich, warm, very smooth sound.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 504
H/K and Denon both sound good with the Klipsch due to the low floor noise. Never tried the Pioneer Elite. There are two Klipsch dealers in my city and both carry Denon for the match. I wonder if NAD would sound good with the Klipchhorns due to its laid back warm sound a well Gavin. The Pioneer Elites also have that warm midrange.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us