Hmm?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 806
Well, just looking for a basic frontstage at the moment, and saw the Polk R30s on for $300 locally.

Is there anything else I can get online, that is significantly better for $300? Also, keep in mind that I'm from Canada, and in most cases I have extremely high shipping costs and also border fees to pay.

$300 item + $110 shipping + $100 border fee = $510!

So if its online, and in the states, its gotta be roughly $130.

Thanks for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 400
Paradigm, PSB, Energy

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8658
S, take a look at CAM.

www.canuckaudiomart.com

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11282

Have you heard the Polks? Have you heard anything you like better than the Polks? I don't suggest you buy any speaker you haven't first heard.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11283

If you saved for another month, could you buy something much better than the Polks for $400?

Probably.

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
Thanks, new to that site will keep looking there.

Jan, I auditioned them a long time ago, and I can't remember if I liked it or not(auditioned A LOT of speakers that day, didn't buy any due to money issues)

Saving for another month is quite possible I guess..

I'm not too picky on my speakers, I like a nice warm sound. Will be adding a sub and 3 more speakers to complete the 5.1. Feel free to suggest some speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 216
I believe energy speakers are a Canadian brnad; I actually own one of their subwoofers ( not particularly recommended and in a closet), but the speakers are a decent value, and probably moreso since you live in Canada relative to the Polks.

I like PSBs out of Nicks list up there and ascendacoustics has nice packages including decent subs from HSU.

IN the end though, Jan is right of course and the concept of not listening to speakers before you buy is a little bizarre.

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
"is there anything else I can get online, that is significantly better for $300"

The three brands I stated above all make better speakers for 300 than Polk. That is IMO only. Jan is right, you have to go out and listen to some. Your ears may like the Polks more than any. Or you may hear something that sounds so good to you, you just have to have it, but cost a grand instead of 400.

Silver Member

Post Number: 808
What's your guys' stance on Paradigm Moniter 7s? I've read some really good reviews on them and there is a set about 5 hours from where I live, for $400. Also, a set of Klipsch RF-15s for $275. I remember back when I was auditioning, I tried out some JBL Stadiums, I liked the sound of them in that they had a strong low-end, but thats what I mean about I'm not very picky, I like low end and I like bright speakers.

I've always been a huge fan on Klipsch speakers ever since a good friend stumbled upon a pair of La Scalas. I love the sound they create, possibly because of the horn setup?

So, as of now, choices are:

- Paradigm Moniter 7
- Klipsch RF-15
- JBL Stadium
- Polk R30

Gold Member

Post Number: 8672
Cerwin Vega.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
SkieS - The monitor 7's are a great value at their retail price. For 400 dollars I would probably pick them up myself. But I also like Paradigm speakers. That said, even if you did not like them, you could easily re-sell them for 400 dollars or more. The Paradigm Monitor 7's are the superior speaker in your list. My opinion. If you want low end, check out Nuck's rec. , the Cerwin's.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5367
After a best of 3 coin toss I call....drum roll please....the Klipsch!!! Go forth and conquer!

It was close as the last quarter rolled around a bit on the floor but in the end the decision goes to the special K.

Silver Member

Post Number: 809
Thanks Nick, I will most likely pick up the Moniter 7s.

LOL, and thanks Art for the coin toss :-) As much as I love the Klipsch, I think I'm goin with the Paradigms. But, by doing a coin toss you've shown me that those top 3 choices are all in the same ballpark in terms of quality vs value.

Anyways, be back in a few weeks to talk subwoofers. Thanks for all the help.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2581
Aww only a few weeks, no fair. Got about 2 years here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8682
Thats like...a thousand beers from now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us