Considering Totem Rainmakers

Username: Dwight1

CENTER SANDWICH, NEW HAMPSHIRE USA

Post Number: 1
I am a new member with an old hobby that has been put on the back burner the last few years due to illness. I am back now and want to rejuvenate my love of fine music played on fine equipment. Recently, I have had my old equipment checked and I got the word that although rather old, it is equipment that is still considered fine...I hope so because I can't afford any more to spend other than on lower-priced, but good sounding speakers. So, here is what I currently have as equipment: Amp-Bryston 3B, Preamp-New York Audio/Moscode Minuet in A, Turntable- SOTA, Tuner- Dyna, and CD Player(new)- Cambridge Audio, Azur 640C-V2. My question is this: I have listened to the Totem Rainmakers and they did seem to move me more than others considering my budget calls for no more than $1800 including the Totem stands that are recommended. What is everyone's opinion on both the Totem speakers and their recommended stands? Any help is greatly appreciated...I have been away from my love of fine audio for quite some time but am very excited about resurrecting this passion.

Post Number: 2
Whoops, forgot to give you folks room dimensions. The room is 12' wide x 17' long, with the sweet spot of the listening chair being 11' center from the 12' wall.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5351
I like the Rainmakers alot however your equipment can drive better. Have you considered the Model 1. Should be able to get it with high quality stands for close to your price. It really is a lot more speaker.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11277

If I were shopping in that price range I would certainly listen to Harbeth and Spendor or the new LS3/5a's. But that's because I know what to expect from those speakers and they won't disappoint my ideas of a good what speaker can do and not do. What are you comparing the Rainmakers against? There are so many options at that price that it's almost impossible to suggest any one product.

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 163
Bang On Art

Rainmakers are good and thats about it, but the Model 1 are just way better.
They both have similar sound but the Model 1 are much more in every aspect.

When i heard the rainmakers - it was nice but i was not taken up as i was expecting after reading so many good reviews for them.

Also i would second Jan for the Harbeth :-)

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 945
Amusingly enough I just took a trip down to my local Totem dealer today (purely for pleasure), although they sell a wide variety of products ranging from NHT and Klipsch Reference to Wilson, Joseph, and Krell.

Unfortunately, it purely cemented my opinion firmly *against* Totem speakers. My primary gripe with them is cabinet+finish construction/quality. Every single one rung extremely hollow, even the high end Wind. Now I wasn't expecting the same kind of cabinet quality that you can get from Wilson, which is like a brick. But for what they charge, I'd expect something on par with at least the Paradigm Studio line (a good competitor to look at). In addition, the finish on these speakers is nothing to write home about IMO. They're better than the average vinyl finished speakers, but compared to what my Emmas, or basically anything else in the store offered, they really didn't look all that great. In either case, the sound simply didn't appeal to me, as compared with other items like the Paradigm Studio 20 and S2.

Now if you like the sound, I will shut it here on out and let you enjoy what you enjoy. But I'd suggest giving a second listen, and compare (preferably side by side) with a few other items in that price bracket. I am curious what you have compared it to though.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5353
Stephen I recommend you either visit the Totem site or do more research. The "hollow" construction of the Totem's cabinet is quite intentional and part of their design philosophy and the fit and finish is usually impeccable.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5354
BTW I like Harbeth as well, Spendor's are overpriced with their most recent price increase and don't perform up to par for the dollar. I know 2 dealers who have dropped them.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 946
It might be intentional Art, but if given a choice between a solid cabinet and a live cabinet, I'd pick a solid cabinet every single time. It has a big tendency to cause overhang in the sound when compared with more solid pieces. Of course a side by side comparison with the Paradigm S2 yielded expected results in this regard.

As for the fit and finish, again, I can't say I'm impressed. Perhaps I'm used to too high of a standard, but when the front veneer is a completely different shade from the side, top, and rear veneers, I just can't say it impressed me. This was a problem in *all* of the cherry veneered speakers they had at the store. Compared with the comparably priced Era speakers they hand on hand, I was a bit disappointed.

YMMV, but Totem just doesn't do it for me.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 947
PS: Would you mind pointing to where Totem says they intentionally make their speakers "hollow"? Most of the materials I see brag about their strong cabinets, borosilicate damping materials, etc.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5355
To each his own....

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 948
Nothing truer in this hobby Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5356
I never said hat they stated that their cabinets are hollow intentionally but they have thin walls intentionally which to you means hollow...that is not what they mean.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:nxRyfvVuvk4J:jazztimes.com/reviews/audio_vid eo_files/reviewDetail.cfm%3FReviewID%3D19+totem+speaker+cabinet+design&hl=en&ct= clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Like I said it's out there on the net to find and read...

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 949
Interesting philosophy, but not one that yields incredibly good results to my ear. Ohh well, back to "to each his own".

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11280

"Spendor's are overpriced with their most recent price increase and don't perform up to par for the dollar."

Please, Art, that's rather arrogant. First, blame your government for the weak dollar before you blame a company for making a profit. Imports cost more when our dollar doesn't buy more. Oil is brushing $80 a barrel, is that overpriced? Secondly, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. Who made you the arbiter of diminishing returns? If you don't care for Spendor, that's fine. But dimissing them as "overpriced" is ridiculous. If someone prefers the Spendor sound, they certainly should not be told they spent too much money to get what they want. You can't decide what someone will like; can you? So stop trying.

And by the way, Art, all that Rega gear you own is not worth the money either. Weak dollar you know. How's that feel?

Which brings me to my next point. I was not suggesting Spendor and Harbeth as speakers to buy based on the information provided. Just so I don't not insult anyone here; "I have $1800, what should I buy?", is about as dumb a question as you can get. My honest advice is, you should buy whatever pleases you the most and not give a fig what we think. It's an impossible question to answer and ridiculous to think we can. A dealer should be helping with this purchase, not a bunch of forum members. And, I wouldn't be that surprised if the o.p. hasn't posted this question of a few forums in order to get as many opinions as possible. That is hardly what he needs when making this deicison.

If the o.p. has assembled the collection of gear listed (without mentioning what speakers he's used up to now), then he should be able to pick his own speakers without much outside interference, certainly not the assistance provided by way of suggesting anything is overpriced or under-performing. I would, at the very least, ask DP to rethink his question.

"It might be intentional Art, but if given a choice between a solid cabinet and a live cabinet, I'd pick a solid cabinet every single time. It has a big tendency to cause overhang in the sound when compared with more solid pieces."

Bullsh!t! When Wilson and their ilk become the reference for accurate sound, the audio world is doomed. SM, you're sounding as though your reference for good sound is coming from a magazine review and not from your heart or reality. There is no one "right" way to do anything in audio. Fit and finish are one thing, the correct way to do something is wide open to interpretation. One of the most enduring references in speakers is still the original Quad and the next generation Quad 63. They both had the apparent construction quality of a rickshaw on a cobblestone street. Listen. Stop thinking too much. Go hear some Sonus Fabers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8665
Art, that's rather arrogant

Naw, yer's is this time JV.

Gotta spread it around. Bad post on that count.
Bad Vigne. Down. Down.
Just cause your sucking dollar is tanking does not mean that the rest of the free world is not doing OK.
Canada is kinda OK, just paying taxes like mad to support their sagging greenback.
Fair dinkum.

Sonus Fabers are weak.
And soft.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5363
Two very reputable dealers who I respect have dropped Spendor as they don't believe that they are a good value anymore and I agree with them....simple as that. No one said that anyone shouldn't buy what sounds good to them. JV has always been good at putting words in other peoples mouths, just not very good at putting decent ones in his own.

"And by the way, Art, all that Rega gear you own is not worth the money either. Weak dollar you know. How's that feel?"

Ofcourse not it's a depreciating asset...was wasn't worth what I paid for it the instant I left the store. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

This kind of silliness is why I spend most of my time on a forum where this childish behavior is not tolerated.

I feel that I have clarified my position for anyone who may have misunderstood and will move on and not respond to anymore provocation. Fire away!

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 950
Jan: While there is no magic formula for getting perfect sound, there aren't too many designers or manufacturers these days that I know of that claim a live cabinet is a good thing. Certainly it doesn't mean a speaker can't be listenable or even decent; however, it tends to be a hallmark of low-fi design. And in either case, after listening to the Totems, they just didn't do it for me.

I daresay I also recall you mentioning resonant cabinets in a negative way on a couple of occasions, regarding the Insignia speakers as well as in regards to Peter G.s Klipschorns.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11281

" ... there aren't too many designers or manufacturers these days that I know of that claim a live cabinet is a good thing."

Then you should expand your knowledge base. Heavy, inert cabinets are largely the priority of American manufactures and those few European brands which feel they should cater to American tastes. Just as 300 watt solid state power amplifiers are largely American desires so to are those "solid" cabinets you favor as the only way to build a speaker. As the saying goes, "violins are not made from MDF." Surely, SM, you can understand the implications of that statement. In other parts of the world where emotional impact is higher on the "gotta have" scale than here in the US where impact alone is king, many loudspeaker companies build more like Sonus Faber than like Wilson.

It has never been about "solid" or "heavy" or virtually any other adjective you can use to imply low resonance. All things set in motion will resonate. It's as simple as that. Good speaker design is about controlling resonance not stopping it. Light materials release the resonance quickly while heavy materials delay its onset and hold that resonance longer. The heavier the material, the lower in frequency its resonance. The lower the resonant frequency, the more obvious it is to our ears. Knowing what to damp, what not to damp and how to damp it is one bit of the art of speaker and system building. Most LP12 owners learn what to damp and when to apply "heavy" because of the ill effects of heavy on an undamped table. SM, your insight that cheap speakers resonate is about as accurate when you are dealing with high end speakers as the concept that hammers kill ants. Yet a hammer approach to a fire ant mound is sure to end poorly. The Insignias resonate, but they cost $39 each and most of their resonances are easily controlled. And they embarrassed a Linn speaker owner who heard them in my system. Cabinet resonance was never a complaint I made against the Klipschorns. The horns are making so much commotion I could never get arund to hearing the cabinet resonate. My complaint about Klipschorns is about uncontrolled resonance, not the fact that the things resonate at all. My 3/5a's are heavy and well damped but they are not the inert cabinet built by many manufacturers today. They are still considered competitive with "modern" designs because they employ a controlled resonance. My point is there's more than one way to do this stuff.

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and buy a pair of Technics three ways from an old rack system. Just don't get dogmatic about any of these ideas. There are plenty of ways to build a speaker and to put together a system. Let someone think about what they want rather than what you think is correct.

No, Nuck, my post wasn't arrogant. And it had little to do with the dollar. Prices are what prices are and they are going up. It was about performing "up to par". I don't happen to think we are here to pronounce anything not up to our personal standards unless it is truly bottom of the barrel stuff. If you do or don't like something, explain why. Don't just pronounce it unworthy of your attention. That's what BS is!

Everybody gets to decide what something is worth to them and whether it is performing to their standards. Art has become the maven of telling us what he doesn't like with no explanation of why he doesn't like it. And there are apparently lots more things he doesn't like than he finds appealing. He sounds like the snob at various high end shops that makes you feel like you don't deserve to be in their company. I may do a good job at rude and crude at times but there's no need to tell anyone something is overpriced and under-performing. Who exactly does that help? And who does it benefit to leave when you find "childish behavior" staring at you? IMO pulling the stunt Art tried is childish. If he doesn't want to play in our yard now, so much for Art. He never has understood than when I directly quote him I'm not putting words in his mouth. Ya'know, he really did say "hollow" up there. Two posts later he says he didn't. And he pulls that crap all the time. He says something, gets called on it and then claims he never said it and someone is putting words in his mouth when the quote can be recalled with ease.

Art, you said what you said. Don't act like you didn't. You don't get to choose what's up to par for anyone but yourself. You don't get to claim you didn't say something when I can find it in print in less than a minute. If you get away with that on another forum, stay there. You'll be happy. If you want to help someone here, then come back and play fair and provide useful information not just BS.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5364
The word "hollow" in my post was in quotes.

I will continue to say what I want, how I want...period. And yes I will continue to play in this playground never said that I wouldn't. Lots of folks here that I enjoy very much.

I prefer to spend most of the time I will dedicate to an audio site where folks treat each other with just a bit of respect.

I won't reply to anymore of the stuff stated above as those who know me know better, those who don't can likely see through it.

I stand by my recommendation to the original poster. If the Rainmakers moved you I would give the Model 1's a try. They really are a very good speaker and you may find them discounted or lightly used within your budget.

For now this snob will retire to my listening chair to listen to my $55 garage sale system.

DP, sorry for the mess this thread turned into...perhaps you may want try starting another thread or just carry on with this one. Happy listening and I hope you find what you are looking for. BTW nice system you have setup.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11285

"I stand by my recommendation to the original poster. If the Rainmakers moved you I would give the Model 1's a try. They really are a very good speaker and you may find them discounted or lightly used within your budget."

That's all I was asking for, Art. That's all that needs to be said.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8670
DP, I hope some of this helps in some way.
I accept each of the last posts, and stand by my own.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1577
Damn,I come back and the vets are bickering with each about whats worth it and what isnt,its common knowlege that we choose our products by the price/performance bar,especially us audio heads,im not taking sides,but their is no need to buy a pair of speakers if you feel the performance isnt up to par with the rest of its competitors.In my opinion at least here in the states i think Rega and Spendor are very underrated,see this me not taking sides its a opinon we all have them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5368
What up Tawaun...good to see you my friend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8679
TW, it seems the reports of your demise were early. Good to see you again!
Where the hell have you been?!?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 951
Whats up TW? I was in Dayton not too long ago visiting the Air Force Museum! My little lady is from Eaton, so I get to pass by there every so often.

If nothing else, I learn a little more through this discourse, and hopefully the OP has as well. Besides, things have certainly degraded to much worse levels than this!

Jan: Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "The Insignias resonate, but they cost $39 each and most of their resonances are easily controlled." I guess what I'm asking is, how does one go about controlling resonances?

Other than that, I do understand what you're saying though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8686
Couple the speaakers to a solid base, Steve.
And yes, it has gotten much worse before.
Gee, where is Wiley?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11286

You damp vibrations and their resultant resonances in various fashions depending on what you are trying to damp and to what extent. The Insignias are very light weight cabinets with a woofer that cannot reach into the deep bass therefore their inherent resonance is rather high in frequency. Some people have filled the internal kerfs in the enclosure with putty or Mortite. Seems a lot of work to me for a $39 speaker. A small piece of panel damping material is sufficient for my tastes for now. A bit more internal stuffing and blocking the port have made the speakers good enough for my HT system. I used some felt strips on the drivers as suggested on the DIY forum and this tamed a touch of nasality from the "horn" of the tweeter and the "woofy" quality of the woofer. I don't ask much of my HT speakers so these fit the bill in that room. The drivers will eventually find their way into a different enclosure which I think will probably be a wedge shape and done with 1/2" MDF. The drivers are good but not great and the O.E.M. crossover is done up with cheap components. There's a fair amount of room for improvement at minimal cost and effort as I have most of the materials on hand. But for what I need in the HT room these are more than adequate as long as a subwoofer is there to assist. Their midrange is not obnoxious and that counts a lot to me.

What my friend with the Linns heard was the Insignias in my main two channel room. Two pair used as bipoles with a bit of Sorbothane on the top and bottom of the cabinets and on the back/sides of the cabinets. The ports were shut off so there was no deep bass. But in that room the speakers sounded far better than a $90 investment should be able to manage. A huge soundstage with good imaging and pretty good attack and decay. I have no illusions about the Insignias, they are what they are and that is an inexpensive speaker that happens to not be horrible. They replaced some Polks that I found more and more fatiguing as I lived with them. The Polks were a stop gap that fit the space and the Insignias have made them redundant.

Post Number: 3
Wow, I didn't mean to start a firestorm here over a pair of speakers. This is the only forum I've tried, but figured it a good place to start as it came highly recommended. I do understand A/B listening and have done a little of that but there is something I should have mentioned at the onset...I live in very rural northern New Hampshire and the nearest mid-fi/high-end audio dealer is 4 hours a way and there is only one other high-end dealer in all of New Hampshire so my options are quite limited. That's why I'm trying to get others' experience and I don't feel my seeking some advise is "stupid". I know I'll need to make the final decision with my own ear which used to be pretty good but I will definitely try to seek out some of the alternatives to the Rainmakers, including the Model 1 for sure. I'll probably have to drive to Boston to find some of your suggestions as the two New Hampshire stores are not authorized dealers of those speaker lines. My view is that because I've been out of the hobby for many years, I need all the help I can get. I really appreciate all of your help with your suggestions.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 953
What else did you listen to on your outing, Dwight?

Also, what are you looking for out of these speakers? What did the Rainmakers do right for you versus the others? We might be able to give a little better advice with that information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1578
Whats up,Art,Nuck and of course the legondary Jan,hey Stephen i live right across the street from the Air Force museum.Sorry guys its been rough my wife has been deployed again,and im sick right now even audio and cars are hard to enjoy,it sucks because i have 2 new cars and 4 pair of new speakers im testing out in the house,its rough,im waiting for this to be over,it seems like a million years away and she seems like she's a million miles away,her communication,isnt very good yet,im sick right now guys so I'll be in and out for now,but i will do what I can,nice being back with you fella's though.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11290

Take care, TW.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1579
Thanks,Jan.

Silver Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 164
Few posts down i was wanting to post my views abut light cabinets, but now i think its best i keep it to myself for now since things have calmed down.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11291

Views on cabinets are worth hearing, if they make sense. If you're just making stuff up, then it's probably best to keep it to yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 126
Totem's suck. Bass response marginal at best. Mediocre construction. You can do much better for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 890
Pay no attention to Dennis...he is the forum leech.

Normally we ignore his posts, but he chooses to lead users astray. We don't let that occur.

Any ideas as to how we can get DW banned for good?

Let us not monopolize this thread with this nonsense. If any of you have any suggestions how to do this, please respond. I have tried, and I believe Jan has as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Oh I see.Gavin and Jan are entitled to their opinions.But anyone who disagrees should be banned.You guys are pathetic.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11293

dmwit - What part of my comments to Art were you unable to comprehend? Though your opinions are as worthless as ever, you don't get to set the bar for anyone else's preferences.

Now, please, don't turn this into another little vendetta for your own pleasure. Stick to the topic of the thread or post nothing.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 895
Totem Rainmakers are widely regarded among audiophiles to be exemplary speakers, and if the OP is asking about them, one can assume that he is likely familiar with them, as Totem is a brand not commonly known outside of the audio enthusiast circle.

My point, DW, is that your comments are always of a trollish nature, and rarely helpful. You help when you want to, to keep the newbies from recognizing you as a troll, but then you swoop in and tell someone that the equipment they are looking at is garbage, or start a flame war with myself, art, or jan.

we know what is going on, but it is too bad that we have to warn newbies to the forum that have a genuine interest in audio that you are not to be taken seriously.

When you actively contribute, and give REASONS as to why you dislike equipment, as in giving examples of music that you used to hear cabinet resonance with the Totems, and hear the lack of bass, you will continue to be put off by the regular contributors.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
dmwit - What part of my comments to Art were you unable to comprehend? Though your opinions are as worthless as ever, you don't get to set the bar for anyone else's preferences.

Gavin, I think Jan is addressing you. Oh excuse me.You already responded.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11294

wiley - I figured you didn't have the decency to act like an adult.

Go away.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5372
Hang in there TW...my thoughts remain with you and yours..

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5373
Dennis, I have to disagree. I really like Totems...for the most part they aren't for me but I respect their engineering and they sound fantastic in the right setup. Model 1's are legendary for a reason.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 961
I might personally have to give them another go round...Although I still maintain I wasn't awe inspired with what I heard the first time around. Then again, comparing the Rainmakers and Mites to the Paradigm S2 might not be entirely fair...

Silver Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 165
Jan

"If you're just making stuff up, then it's probably best to keep it to yourself."

NO i am not making stuff up - dont know why you got the impression of that possibility, saw that the thread was getting back to something helpfull for DP hence decided to shut up.

but now shall contribute my 2 cents on totem cabinets.............

Totem are extremely well built, once upon a time i used to think that heavier the better, however i have changed camps since then.

Especially rainmakers - are not as light as some might think, they are well made and probably weight similar to most speakers - nothing light about them.

Model 1 sig - are light but are very well built and most of all are very emotive and musical (thats what counts) - from what i remember the vocals were nicely hanging out in the air and had brilliant texture.

Totem dove tails all cabinets at there joints which has obvious advantages.
There are other reputed speaker manufacturers as well who think similar to totems when it comes to speaker cabinets - eg REGA to name one.

Regarding Totem drivers, they mostly use Dyn or Seas drivers, tweeters are Seas but modded if i am correct, i had some reservations for Seas in the past but not anymore.

So yes - i am firmly on the side that heavier is not always better and both sides have there advantages and Disadvantages (for disadvantages best to hear one of the rega speakers r5 and r7).
but again many people find them extremely musical.

There have been many light weight speakers in the past who have been applauded.

Too many magazines write about the so called knuckle test but i am not at all sure if it translates into knowing anything about speakers musicality.

Apologies if i sound too assertive but this is what i think........

Silver Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 166
"Views on cabinets are worth hearing, if they make sense"

You wont know if they make sense unless you hear them

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11300

Correct. And your's made good sense. There are a few here who talk out of their ... well, you know. The only addition I would make is to clarify "dovetail". Anyone who's spent a half hour watching PBS as Norm goes about his business in his magic workshop with every possible power tool he might need will know a dovetail joint is one of the strongest possible and a sign of fine craftsmanship. For all their magic materials and micrometer based quality control, Wilson doesn't bother with dovetail joints on any portion of their cabinets. A good strike to a panel will dislodge a simple 45/45 joint. You will be quite frustrated trying to take apart two dovetailed panels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovetail_joint

Gold Member

Post Number: 8697
I think Wilson achieve solid cabinetry with layers and layers of laquer finish.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 962
Whatever they do, its still pretty solid.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8699
Yes it is.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us