Another help the new guys post

hey folks, i just bought a yamaha rxv540 and i was wondering if anyone could advise me on which speakers to go with it, i already have some rears(yamaha ns90's) so i am only looking for some mains and centre at the moment. Im only lookin to spend around about a grand and i was sort of hoping to get everything the same, but it doesnt worry me to much if i can get something better for a similar price.
So what do the experts think, i am a total newb to all this so i really have no idea what im doing.
Also is it best to get all the same speakers or can you mix them up
cheers

timn8ter
When somebody closes a message with "cheers" I have to ask; what country are you in? It might make a difference if I suggest an American maker and you almost double the price getting it shipped over. Also, include what ratio of home theater to music you listen to (i.e. 50/50 or..), if you live in a house or apartment, what kind of music or movies do you like, are you more interested in loud or accurate or both. What about bass? Do you like accurate bass or boomy bass like a car sub? How big is the room you'll be using them in?

alright first off im an Aussie, but there hasnt been a brand name of speakers i have heard menton on the web that i cant get here, all speakers i have heard mentioned on this website are available to me here.
As far as ratio of movies to music it is 70% movies, and i live in an apartment but i have everything set up in a pretty big room, and really load isnt that important but it never hurt anyone.
But even if you guys could just give me some tips on good makes and i could work from there and see what works best for me.
I heard boston make good speakers, what do ya think

Derek
Do you have access to Paradigm, How Hear This (NHT), Energy, Mission, Monitor Audio, Mirrage, Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) or Infinity? These brands produce thuly high-fidelity loudspeakers at resonable prices. There are others but you realy can't go wrong with any of these.

What brands are available in Australia?

timn8ter
Paradigm and Axiom are safe bets. You could get along fine for now keeping your rear speakers. More important is matching the front three. The goal is to have continuity across the front for movies. If the action moves from side to side you don't want the center speaker standing out. You can use the same three speakers or get the matching center from the same maker as the mains. Just make sure it's magnetically sheilded.

John Allen
http://www.bhaustralia.com.au/hometheatre.htm
No worries, mate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us