Vintage Yamaha Receivers

Bronze Member
Username: 2string

Post Number: 12
I am looking for opinions on vintage yamaha receivers. Are they considered to be better then average and what kind of sound do they put out? Can they drive 4 ohm speakers with no problems to the amp? Which models are desired?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8563
What is vintage?
80's? fuhgettaboutit.
1972? Maybe, but just at the end of the best Jap stuff that could come across the pond.
I dig Pioneer better for Japan domestic stuff before the black faced gear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I'm talking about the 70's stuff with the silver face.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11223

The first generation Yamaha, CR220 through 2020, offered exceptional sound for a receiver at a price comensurate with its quality. It could easily be bettered by most quality separates of the day and a more expensive Tandberg or McIntosh receiver of the day smoked the Yamaha. The CR240 through 2040 series was not quite as good sonically but most people liked the looks and it was still better than 90% of its equal powered competition though the Yamaha was still selling at a higher price. From that point forward Yamaha began a downward trend in quality. Soon after the CR-40 series Yamaha introduced their line of components meant for the big box and department stores and they have never regained their original position in the market. None of the older Yamaha is supported by the factory and you are on your own should any part require replacement. This makes buying old Yamaha a risky proposition in my estimation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well maybe I will stay with my first vintage choice. The McIntosh MA-6100

Gold Member

Post Number: 8567
Okay, Gary, lets re-open with the Mac.
Have a seat, grab a beer.
What does the 6100 do for your spirit?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8568
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mac/MA6100.html

Just recently heard a 6200 which is pretty close, one phono input.
It didn't look so pretty, though...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well Nuck, I can tell you the 6100 lifts my spirit and so does my right arm lol. I have try seperates,mono blocks and pricey intergraded amps like the Pathos Logos which I owned for 4 years and loved it but that being said I tried a 6100 and fell in love with the music again. Sooo much more musical.I listen to my music off my hard drive through a squeeze box( mod by Red Wine Audio) most are flac but some are mp3's (oldies) so I like being able to tweak the mp3's occasionally with the tone controls on the 6100. My plans are to purchase a mint 6100 and a MR74 from audioclassics ,but in the mean time I'm looking for a less expansive yamaha or something to get by with!! I like the looks of the 6100 over the 6200 I no it's less power but probably don't need all that anyway.My speakers are 4ohm so it's not easy finding a getmeby receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8571
For a getmeby receiver, Gary, you could do way worse than a HK stereo unit.
The RR2150 (with phono) from outlaw is very close, and has a ton of extra stuff, like manegeable bass.
HK is close to the soun}d that you have described in text(like dancing to archetecture) but a 3380 should hold you over.
Either of these will drive dificult speakers with no issues.
The Yamaha...not so much.}

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11226

The 6200 has two phono inputs and Power Guard. Ya can't clip a MA6200. The one you heard, Nuck, had a rather industrial look, I would say. Thanks to a clumsy UPS delivery chap and the idiot who packed it for shipment in a Mac cabinet box.

Just how much are you wanting to spend to "get by" with, Gary? You can buy the MA-230 for $499 and resell it for that when you have more cash. The Stereotech receiver is cheap Mac with a different name and the Mac 1700 is going for $599. Cheaper than that and you're talking less amplifier by a good margin.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Well I don't want to pay $599 for a get by one. I was thinking more like $100. A close to mint 6100 at Audio Classics goes for $700.00 and I can sell it for probably more down the road. Thats another thing I like about vintage Mac's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
What I was considering for a get me by was a YAMAHA CR-2020 or a CR-1020. Has anybody heard these?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8576
Yes I have, Gary, a long time ago. For a c-note you get a case full of used pinball machine parts.
Dude if they were any good to start with, and still running, do you think you would find one for a hundred bucks?
Shite, bro, I want the whole thing on a platter as well, but somrtimes it doesn't work.
Good luck in your search for a great running vintage piece for a hundred.

Later.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 357
I think I have a few pairs of pants that almost cost me 100. Damn. That MA6100 just went on ebay a few weeks ago as I was watching it out of curiosity. It went for 460 plus 35 in shipping.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11227

Buy the CR1020 and if it craps out before you have got by, you win. If it craps out before, you lose. That's how craps works.

$100?! JeezLouise. That ain't "get me by" money. That's "I don't give a $hit" money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
LOL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Geez guys take it easy on me heh, I'm only looking for a cheap receiver for a month or two until I decide on my new adventure so your right Jan Vigne I don't give a $hit! I just sold my $4500.00 Pathos intergraded so I know what it's like to spend money on gear,just thought I could get some opinions on a cheap amp to get by with.I'll try another forum Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11229

Psssst, Gary, then ya got $4500 to play with.

I don't think anybody cares what you've spent in the past. I don't. Anybody here care?

Yeah, I thought not.

Gary.

$100 don't buy diddly. Truth be told, $100 is throw away money for a receiver. And you want to know which will sound best. Come on, Gary, get real here. For 100 bucks, I'd go down to Best Buy and get one of their Insignia receivers that had a warranty. Spend $10 on the extended warranty and when the first one craps out, get a second for free. And so on and so on. If you've spent $4500 for an amplifier, you've spent $100 for a meal. And how long did that last? Stop being cheap. Or is it time to pay Knuckles what you owe him?

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
Gary- That Insignia idea of Jan's is actually not a bad idea. On the 29th day, return it. 30 day return policy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Ok guys back off a little OK. All I was looking for was an answer to my question. I though maybe for 100 bucks give or take I could find something on e-bay that would work with my tv until I settle on something better. I figured the old classics last forever and I could use it in another room after but if all the $100. 70's receivers sound the same then it doesn't matter what I get.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
Gary, you can get a NAD 3020 for roughly 100 dollars, maybe a bit more. Great amp.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NAD-3020-3020A-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-L-K_W0QQitemZ160152113792 QQihZ006QQcategoryZ39783QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5332
Vintage Sansui especially the X0X0 and G series receivers sound better than the nearly all other gear of it's time. Often comparable to the lower end Mac's of the time and cetainly better than Yamaha.....I own them both (Sansui and Yamaha). For information about vintage gear the best site to visit is audiokarma.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11232

No one said all 70's receivers sound alike. I believe we said just the opposite. What I did say was all 70's receivers are now 30 years old and the companies no longer support these products. That makes buying such an item a risky affair. If a receiver has been sitting in a closet for ten years and now the guy wants to sell it, it's a pretty safe bet the power supply caps will last about two weeks after you fire it up. Then you'll have a $150 repair on your $100 receiver. If a switch fails, there are no extra switches unless you buy another $100 receiver to use for parts.

You are the guy who walks onto the used car lot asking for the safest, highest M.P.G., lowest mileage car that's never been in an accident with new tires all the way around and you only want to spend $500. I don't think I know a car salesperson who would talk to you for more than five minutes.

Go buy the Insignia.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You are so wrong! I'm not the type to walk on the car lot and want something for nothing.There are plenty of these receivers out there and they sound better in most cases then the new ones unless you spend a lot of money. In my case I don't want to spend a lot of money. I've done that and you know what, you buy a $5000 piece and a year later it's worth $2000. My plan is to eventually buy a good intergraded Mac an enjoy the music and when and if I decide to sell it I can get my money back. In the mean time I will check out Art's suggestion.Thats all I was looking for NOT what you paid for your pants or how much you spend on dinner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8590
The last $5000 piece taht I bought is still worth $5000, because I still have it.
If you sold a $5000 piece for $2000, then you bought the piece incorrectly for 2 reasons.
1. you sold it
2. you bought it in the first place

This is not meant to be argumentative, Gary, just an observation of the last post.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I have to disagree try selling it and see what you get.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 937
Audio equipment isn't a stock that you buy and sell Gary. If all you're in for this hobby for is to buy equipment and hope not to lose any money on it in the long run, you'd be better served by investing in something with a better rate of return.

On the other hand, if you buy a piece of equipment because it sounds good, you might not get your money back out of it, but it will give you 10-20 years worth of musical enjoyment.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 938
One might also note that in my case, while I might not be able to sell my speakers for diddly, it would cost me at least a thousand to get a replacement that is its equal sonically and aesthetically. So in that sense, my speakers are worth quite a bit to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I understand what your saying.No I'm not in it to make money LOL I have lost thousands in the quest of looking for that High End Sound and when I thought I had found it. It wasn't what I was looking for at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8592
I bought a piece that I have no need to sell or upgrade.
Last quote was still 5k.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11236

So, is it worth $100-200 to buy a receiver that might be worth $0 in two weeks? That's my point, Gary. You have a far better chance of loosing on this deal than winning. I have far more stories of the loosing people who thought they found a deal on a used receiver/amplifier/CD player, etc. who ended up with either a repair bill or a paperweight in a few weeks time. Plenty of them come to this forum asking us how to repair their 1970-80's so and so, or, "There's no sound out of the left channel. What's wrong?"

You can certainly find a decent receiver for not much cash. I think I've seen a HK mentioned on this forum for under $200 with a warranty and decent sound quality. Don't get caught up in this older is better. For the most part, older is older. And the older gear that is worth owning holds its value, so you don't get to buy it for $100. You can probably buy a beat up 1975 six cylinder Nova for cheap. Is that what you want? You can't buy a '68 Corvette cheap.

Your idea of buying vintage McIntosh and being able to sell it in five years for what you paid is a good idea. It's an advantage you get from buying high quality gear from a company who supports their product. You pay for that advantage. A used Yamaha receiver is not vintage Mac.

If $100 is all you want to spend, and don't care how long it lasts, then buy anything you can find. Don't get picky and don't expect much. When it breaks, you get to buy another one. If it lasts a few years, you're doing fine. Expect the former and be happy with the latter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Your one of the lucky ones! Congratulations you found audio nirvana and it didn't cost you an arm and leg.Check out Audiogon there are tons of people in search of what you have.(Nirvana) List for $10,000 yours for only $3000. I no they didn't pay 10 grand but dam close I bet. I'm not trying to knock the stereophile down but you don't always get what you pay for.A lot of it is hype.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8594
Back to Gary's master plan for a HQ Mac.
A very good investment, and a fine choice of gear to be had.
Gary, I cannot agree with you more on your final choice of gear.
The Mac will always hold it's value, is repairable and is a great piece.
Whatever your interem solution, Gary(I say the 100$ insignia), your longer term plans are solid.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Jan, your last paragraph is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. By posting my original question I was not expecting to find a super sounding amp for that kind of money I was just asking what was best at that price. If it blows up on me in a week ,no big deal only 100 bucks or so, if it works I will have time to get the Mac I want and then have a cheap receiver for the basement.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 939
"A lot of it is hype."

Indeed it is. I myself can't justify spending that kind of money on hi-fi for such meager gains compared to what I have now. Having Wolftrap and dozens of other live music venues right next door doesn't really hurt either though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8598
Then a HK 3380 receiver is the one you might want to look into Gary.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5333
More often than we find folks here asking how to fix their vintage gear we find folks here asking what to do about their new gear which has failed and to which they are having a devil of a time getting a warranty honored. There is plenty of new and old junk...shop and listen and buy what you want without listening us and our biases.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yes this is so true. My Pathos blew a transistor luckily there was a local guy that repaired it for me. So new stuff breaks to and not always easy to fix.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11239

"So new stuff breaks to and not always easy to fix."

That's because eBay has replaced dealers who can afford a service department. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/386345.html We did this to ourself, you know.

And everything breaks. McIntosh and Honda both have service departments.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
That HK 3380 looks interesting does anybody have experience with it? I've never listened to Harman Kardon before.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 940
I've owned that specific model previously, and still own an HK receiver now. In the context of my system, I find that they give me excellent performance. If you've got any specific questions about that model, feel free to ask.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Well how do you think it will work with Sonas Faber Cremona Auditors? They are 4ohm and have a sensitivity of 88dB. I also have a Rel Stratta 3 sub.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11241

You were planning on the used Yamaha with Sonus Fabers?!

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 943
That'd be real iffy Gary. Don't get me wrong, HK is solid at that price point, and I doubt you'd find much better for what you're willing to spend, but its power supply just isn't sufficient to give the SFs the current they will want. I'd look at something in the quality range of Parasound or better personally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8601
I ran a HK avr65 with PSB speakers that go to 3.2ohms, and have a hard curve as well.
I drove it hard for 2 yrs, it never clipped, and I drove it hard.
That is not the 3340 or 3380, but if things changed dramatically, we would all know.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 944
Ohms ain't the only thing that matter. That phase angle makes a big impact. Unfortunately, insufficient information is published about the Auditors specifically. However, some of its family members (the Cremonas themselves) combine low impedance with nasty phase angles as well, which is why I'd err on the side of caution. This isn't to say that the HK would die instantly. It just wouldn't drive them as well as something more robust.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8606
Robust is good.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 468
I ain't buyin' it and Gary shouldn't be sellin' it!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Well let me ask you this,will the 6100 pair up with them? stryvn,what do you mean by that?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11243

How did the Pathos drive them? The 6100 has more current available than the Pathos but it is not considered a high current amplifier. And most Sonus Fabers prefer an amplifier that can swing both voltage and current. That is not an easy task.

More over, the vintage Mac gear has some imitations in connectivity. The 6100 uses spring clip speaker connectors. Nothing really wrong sonically with that but they are going to limit your choice of cables. If you think you will use the same speaker cables you had on the Pathos, you are probably wrong. I find huge speakers cables to be less than appealing for my own system but you should be aware of the limitations of the 6100 when it comes to inputs and outputs. Mac did not buy WBT RCA's in 1979.

Overall, I would guess the 6100 will be happy with the Sonus Fabers but there are better amps to drive them with. Those amps are not cheap. You really should be looking at McIntosh separates. So the question becomes not will the 6100 be happy but; will you be happy? How loudly do you listen? And to what sort of music? The 6100 will do moderate volumes as well as any Mac separate power amplifier. Mac is Mac. The 6100 will not do loud as well as a 200-300 watt Mac amplifier can. You really didn't think you'd get out of here alive; did you, Gary? I am beginning to see why you've lost thousands in the search for an audio high.

Or, you can find speakers better suited to the 6100. The SF's are not suited to "inexpensive". They require a stout power supply that isn't found in most integrated amplifiers and the 6100 was the best integrated of its day. You either must choose speakers to suit the amp or amplifiers to suit the speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8614
Berny is drivng those Cremona's with Outlaw 2200 mono amps @200watts.
Where the heck is he anyway?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Well I've had all that high end stuff,to name a few NAD, Bryston, Cam 200's, Sonic Frontier Line 2, B&W 805's. I thought the Pathos match the best with the Auditors, both being made in Italy.I tried a 6100 in my home and like it very much. Sold my Nirvana SX speaker and interconnects now using Bogdan interconnects and small Kimber speaker cable to accommodate binding post on future 6100(maybe)I did not care for the high end sound it sounded to sterile.Some music sounded absolutely like heaven but most of the music I like did not.So I ended up playing only the songs that sounded good on the system.Maybe I'll sell the Auditors and pick up a nice JBL to go with the 6100.Back to basics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8625
Gary, I don't think I have done this before, but you are on your own.
Dude, if you can't decide on a $100 receiver and 805's then you are either thick as a post or deaf.
Your last post confirmed that you are full of shite, and likely still listen to a Candle 8track/record player.
Good luck with your BMW post that is likey to come up.
Public Transit anyone?

Nuck.
Out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Well I hope you feel better.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11245

Gary - No one cares what you've owned ... wait, we've been down this road before.

It would appear you have little to no idea what music sounds like and how to reproduce it well in your home. Are you picking stuff because of reviews? Two good reviews don't make one good system. All Italian stuff doesn't go together anymore than all American stuff does. You seem to be doing this all over the internet without any help from a decent dealer. And without auditioning gear together.

If you've heard the 6100 with your speakers and like the combination, buy it. But I doubt it will be your last system until you get a grip on how to put a system together. You seem to be headed toward finally buying junk from Best Buy when you finally get tired of throwing money away on the good stuff that you buy indiscriminantly.

Find a good dealer, Gary, and follow their advice. Not three or four dealers all with different ideas and different sounding gear. Find one dealer and do what they say. And go listen to live music. You need a reference point.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 470
I stick to my post.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Well I thought if I told you what I've had for gear you could get an idea on what I don't like. I wasn't trying to boast.I hate to talk about myself but I think I have to say this. I think I have a better ear then most of you guys for music. I have played bass in the same band for a living since 1972 and still doing it and yes I've had my ears check. I have backup nationally known bands so I think my music ear is good.Now just because I didn't like the 805's doesn't make me thick as a post or deaf.Our guitar player has an old tube Marantz and Jbl's and it walked all over my system. I don't play my music loud so all I'm looking for is a good intergraded with tone controls not mono blocks and preamps and thousand dollar cables that don't do jack. So like I said back to the basics and it's time to enjoy the music again!

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2572
I didn't quite catch what your speakers and equipment now were..?

You know it really depends on the synergy between components.

You don't really need that great of an amp if the speakers aren't that great, and some speakers sound completely different based on the amp, while others have little change. Synergy.

Seriously though, I don't quite get what your goal here is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
It is very hard to find high end gear that sounds good with all types of music.Have you ever heard them use a 60's rock CD for a demo? NO! Some high end stuff sounds good with female vocals others do well with males.If you want to listen to violins they all sound great,but thats not my kind of music.805's are good for Jazz thats not my kind of music.The dealers around hear do not sell high end so it's hard to listen before I buy.Thats why they have these forums but when I tell you what I've used and what I want you all get pissy at me,you take the fun out of it. Some people tube roll I amp roll.LOL .So be it I've got big shoulders.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2574
Well why not Paradigm, I like the sound of those for rock (Studio 100). Yes, I do listen to a very large amount of 50s-80s. I don't own them, though. I listen loud, they'll tell you.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11247

OK, if your friend's system walked all over yours; how so? An "old tube Marantz" is probably pretty good stuff. "And JBL's" doesn't tell me anything. Some JBL's can be good while most stink. What does his gear do that your's doesn't? If you can put it into words, maybe we can help. But telling us you've owned this and that is not a help. We need to know what you're trying to find and what you think has been missing to this point. Put it in words not brand names.

Why haven't you been able to find what you like? Usually that means somebody who doesn't know what they like. What's your excuse? What have you been doing wrong all this time?

The Pathos and the SF's should have done fairly well together if you don't listen at high volumes. How did your friend's system do better? What music do you listen to?

So far, Gary, just as a communicator, you are earning a "D". Let's do better and get this thread moving in the right direction. You've wasted money. We've wasted time. Get it going.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Take a look at the beginning of my thread all I was asking was an opinion on vintage Yamaha receivers able to drive my 4 ohm speakers. Not one of you ask me what I had for speakers before you started telling me what to use, what not to use.I think the word vintage scared some of you. My heart is not set on Yamaha.I was only looking for something that would work until I make the move for a 6100. It's ok if Yamaha doesn't work with my speakers.I do not want to go down the high end road again OK. I've pretty much made up my mind with the 6100. I'll say it again I was only looking for a get me by receiver that I could use in another room after I find the right 6100.It seems there are a couple of you that are very argumentive about this subject. I no what like and I no what I want. I have owned my speakers and amp for a little over 4 years I do not take this change lightly. I went on this forum for help not ridicule.I welcome you all to tell me what you have had in your live time for equipment and what you have now. That wouldn't bother me at all. I'm sure you all have change gear as time went on, theres nothing wrong with that.If some of you have nothing better to do then sit at your computer and knock people down for asking for help then I feel sorry for you and NUCK.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2576
Not one of us asked? Well, I guess I should work on my ability to say what I'm trying to say. Sorry.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11253

Gary - I did go back and read the thread again. As a communicator, you still suck the second time around. There are a fair amount of things you don't seem willing to understand and a fair amount of things you wish to blame on someone else.

"I have lost thousands in the quest of looking for that High End Sound and when I thought I had found it. It wasn't what I was looking for at all."

"I no what like and I no what I want."

For God's sake, Gary, you don't even know how to spell "know". I believe those two statements are contradictory to one another. So far, the only thing you've said that I believe is, "I don't give a sh!t." Which then begs the question, why the phuck did you ask?

Who've been provided with answers that far excede the amount of information you care to divulge or absorb. I've offered, once again, to give some help but ... I guess not.

Enjoy the music, son, on whatever you choose to buy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Time to delete you **** out of my life. Now you can move on to your next victim.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11255

Had to have last word, eh? I figured you wouldn't like that last post. Go look in the mirror, Gary. I show you a contradiction that you made and you still don't get it. Either you know what you like or you've wasted thousands. Which is it? Only one can be true. If the former, you didn't need our help in the first place. If that latter, I can see why. It's your money but you'd be wise to stop spending it like a child.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8630
Gawd I hope he did the 'delete' thing.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 949
this guy had to be a troll... this carried on for far too long.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us