Definitive Technology Subs

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 245
Anyone have experiences with Def Tech subs? I have a line on a ProSub 1000 at a good price. Was wondering if anyone has heard one of these?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11188

Mediocre.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 246
Well that's disappointing. Mediocre in what regard?
Boomy?, underpowered? poor build quality?

Can you elaborate Jan?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11200

DT is a budget line for the most part. Their subs reflect an overall quality and sound that appeals to the budget buyer. It's been a few years since I last heard a DT sub they were not built to deliver truly deep bass response but rather a somewhat distorted rumble at the lowest frequencies. If your music selections are limited to mostly rock and modern pop/radio play type stuff, this might satisfy for awhile but it is not going to take you very far into other music genres. This rumbling bass impedes the ability of the sub to move the music forward by way of the bass line. And if it ain;t the bass line movin' the music, then you're playin' a zither.

There are far better subs for the money that DT, IMO. Try the Hsu subs.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 247
Thanks Jan. I had considered a Hsu sub or one of the new Outlaw ones (which I believe is Hsu anyway). But the problem is that ordering them here in Canada is quite expensive due to shipping and brokerage fees.

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 191
I live 70miles from HSU.
1. send money...to me
2. I'll pick up the sub-of-your-choice.
3. Free Break-in, included...free
4. I'll ship it up in a few weeks as 'used', which may dodge the fees.......?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11203

Buy the Hsu raw driver and DIY the rest.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8499
How's the little one gonna like the sub?
Is this instead of rocking the cradle?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 248
Wow, thanks for the offer Leo! When and if I decide to pull the trigger on the sub I'll let you know. Very cool...

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 249
Hey Nuck, yeah rocking the whole house instead of just the cradle seems like more fun. Besides I think my 5 year old will enjoy watching his movies with better quality bass ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2559
Yes, Def Tech certainly leaves something to be desired...

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 337
David, as I see you have a Paradigm dealer near you. Ever considered the Ultracube/Seismic Series or the Servo 15?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2562
I know you aren't directing that at me, but I owned the UltraCube 10 and blew it very quickly after I did a break in.

If anything, a Seismic 12 or Signature Servo at the very least. The MartinLogan Subs offer a lot as well..

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
How in gods name did you blow the Ultracube 10? lol. Buddy theres something not right with that. I own the Ultracube 10. And it rattles stuff off my walls. What were you powering it with? And how did you blow it up? Ive heard Matin Login speakers/subs, and to my ears, have never done their price tag justice.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2565
I had a Yamaha Receiver feeding it's signal.

Well, hmm, how did I blow it? Ahh, yes. I was playing funkytown (that one 70s song) and the bass seemed weak, so I turned the volume up. It was close to the corner at this point. I then played a song with a lot of bass in the upper 20s (forgot the name)...and it just wasn't loud enough. I turned it up...and wondered why it wasn't loud enough. I moved it around, but it was always the same thing. So I put it back in the spot I had chosen after doing the "crawl" method. The PRs were ringing (probably at their limits) and when I looked at the driver it was moving a lot...all of the sudden it made a super-loud "BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" from the driver and I was like...well...lol.

I decided that it was blown...took it in...they said I'm the only person they've sold it to who's blown it..

I think it's either I like REALLY loud bass, my room is large, or a bit of both.

Anyway...when I get the money together I'm building a sub with two 18s each in a 25 ft³ box tuned to 11hz with 1000w/driver. That should give me over 120dB down to 10hz.

If I blow that, there's something terribly wrong...

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
LOL. That sub should have gone as low as any. Something wasn't right.lol. Bass should blend in with the music. When I was 16-18 I was into doing car comps. I sat in a few cars hitting 134db's. I wish I didn't.lol.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2566
Well I wouldn't expect a 10" sub to reach 110dB down low in a 4000ft³ room. I should've known.

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
lol that is true.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 252
Hey Nick,

You are correct - I do have a local Paradigm dealer, but they actually recommended the DT over the Paradigm subs. Not really sure why... for the record though they've always treated me well there and never steered me wrong before.

The Ultracubes look nice, but at a list price of a grand for the 10", that's a little bit more than I can justify spending right now.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 918
What kind of usage are you planning to give the subwoofer David? How big of a room? Etc?

FWIW, I wouldn't really consider the ProSub line from Def Tech for a serious high fidelity system. That isn't to say that Def Tech doesn't produce a few good subs (I wouldn't mind taking the Trinity for a spin for example), but they aren't the first name that pops into my head when I think of excellent subwoofers.

Hsu as recommended is a good option; however, as your situation seems to preclude it to some degree, it may be a moot point.

SVS is another major online contender, and they do have a Canadian distributor as far as I'm aware. While not everyone has been impressed with their products, I'd daresay the PB10-NSD is a good value for what it is. In my room, it definitely delivers the deepest audible tones (and some that aren't), while retaining decent definition for music. I think given your system composition, it would give a notable upgrade.

I'm not sure what all you have available to you in Canada, but I understand that Axiom and Mirage make good all round subs as well that should be available to you, among others.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 255
It's a fairly small room, maybe 14x20, carpeted and heavily furnished. My house is open concept, however , so one side of the room is not closed off and open s up to the dining room below and the bedrooms upstairs.

It's a dual music/HT system in which we use for HT probably 60% of the time.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 921
In that case I'd definitely take a good look at the above mentioned items, with some weight towards Mirage and Axiom, for your national pride. All of them are good all-rounders that will give solid HT and music performance.

If you want something more music oriented, you might look at something along the lines of the Martin Logan Dynamo. It lacks some of the power of the above, but it gains a heck of a lot of finesse.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 257
I had no idea Axiom was a Canadian company.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8522
Orangeville.
They have good tours.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 258
Cool. I get to Orangeville quite often...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8524
I called them a while back, and they were excited to offer a big ol' tour.
Lemme find an old link to a tour/sub review.
You might not get the cottage overnight, but hey.

I think I got it from their website in fact.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us