Subwoofer replacement

Anonymous
I have an old NEC downward firing powered subwoofer that needs a new 12" driver. The original driver has an impedence of 6 ohms. I dug up the owners manual and it says that the built in amp is rated at 60 watts into 6 ohms. Can I replace the driver with one that is rated at 8 ohms? Would I notice a difference in the sound if I did that? Would it damage the amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Derek
Yes it would change the sound but it wouldn't damage the amp. Try www.partsexpress.com, madisound or Solen for drivers.

timn8ter
Not all 12" drivers are the same. There are huge, huge differences besides impedance. For starters, not all woofers will work correctly in a downfiring position. Secondly, get the Thiel/Small parameters and replace it with something as close as possible unless you can get the exact replacment model. The other option would be to get the T/S parameters for the new driver and run the data through a program like WinISD to make sure the driver and the enclosure will work ok together. In all speaker building, the drivers come first and the enclosure is designed around the drivers. The impendance question isn't really an issue in this case.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us