FYI - New NAD AVR's- 8/22/07

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 121
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/lend_nad_your_keen_ear_four_music_first_r eceivers_on_the_way/C157

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 282
Awesome, good article JAW

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
They are now up on their web site

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8482
I read all the way through the 785.
There is a LOT of stuff in there!

Like seperate BB Dac's for stereo, and a series of 5 for AV.And if you like the NAD presentation, a lot of power to be had.
If the pricing is favorable, NAD will sell a TON of receivers shortly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
I agree. Looks like the 785 is going to run around 2 grand CDN. The 775 will be the same price as the the T763 was. I believe that was around 1800 CDN. Some don't like the sound of NAD, but a TON do. Hopefully this works. Also check out their new entry level cd players, they also have a new CD Center type unit? And a new T175 Pre which I am pretty sure I will have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8490
Thats a lot of money for a receiver, but then again, the stuff has gotten awfully good.

What do you like most about the preamp, Nick?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8491
I don't see the 175 pre on the website.

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
http://nadelectronics.com/products/home-theatre-amplifiers/T175-Surround-Sound-P reamplifier

Nuck-Mainly that it is a pre. It looks like it is a T163 with the added HDMI, IPOD dock, Sound Management Control, and the BEE DAC/ADC. I called my dealer this morning when I got to work and he said he is getting a shipment in today and wants me to come listen to the new stuff early next week sometime, if I have the time. If not next weekend. The T175 he said will retail for around 1500 CDN. But I will get it cheaper. Im only using my receiver right now as a pre to the fronts, so When/If I buy the T175 I will have to budget for a power amp or two more 2 channel power amps. Let me know what you think about the specs on that thing. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 913
"Like seperate BB Dac's for stereo, and a series of 5 for AV"

Nah. Its got 2 A/D converters and 5 D/A converters.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
the NAD Chick needs some doughnuts and spaghetti.

a shot of adrenaline, too.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_1

Post Number: 14
It seems that NAD has a very good product on paper. I am hoping that all the quality issues solved. If this is the case, they going to be leader again. This is good news for us. Now we will need to wait and see what will be the answer of ARCAM and Rotel.

Daniel

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
http://nadelectronics.com/news/NADs-New-AV-Components

Thought this may be worth reading.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1224
Very impressive, can't wait to hear if all the issues are completely gone.

Can't believe they added HDMI switching, really caught up to the competition with these units.

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
Yeah, it is nice to see that a company who produces higher end sound has finally put HDMI on their stuff. Now for Arcam and Rotel and a few others hopefully will follow. It looks like each receiver has added about 10 more pounds. Hopefully this reflects build quality. Ive never had a single problem with my stuff from them but I do hope they have properly grounded each unit now to kill any ground loop issues like they had in the 7X2 series and such. I guess time will tell.Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2332
I'm a promoter of NAD, but I think they've missed the boat by not introducing the High Def HDMI breakout functionality in their receivers. It's all very well doing HDMI swiotching but at this point they should really have the High Definition BluRay/HD-DVD surround audio modes.

And why do I think this? Because Onkyo have introduced it on all their new models right down to the £400 mark!

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
Perhaps, I think you'll see the majority of blu-ray/hd-dvd players able to decode it themselves, hard to say though. They could be waiting to see if either one of them will stick around, or which one wins. Im not really sure what the plan is there. I guess time will tell.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2340
Nick,

With Onkyo and Denon (4308 and 3808 so far) providing affordable units that can decode these streams, and Pioneer, Rotel and Marantz about to release their new '08 models in the next few weeks, I'd be surprised if NAD was up to the mark. I'm not decrying their musicality and ability, but I hardly think that they constitute right up to the mark functionality when they miss these formats completely. Given that NAD is not exactly a big seller in the AV receiver market, I'd have thought they'd pull out all the stops to do this. then again, if they had done that, they'd have had to upgrade the Masters series which also doesn't do the lossless formats...

After all, I'm the one who has thus far poo-poo'ed the whole hi-def disc thing so far on the basis of the format war, but both formats support exactly the same lossless schemes so anyone with an eye on future-proofing at this stage is probably going to discount the NAD offerings out of hand.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8526
And unfortunately for NAD, that means a lot of us.
Good post, Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
Very True Frank. At this time I have my blu-ray player hooked directly from the 5.1ch output to my NAD's 7.1ch Input. So I still get all the HD Audio formats and the uncompressed audio. But, my blu-ray player also does the new HD Audio formats, thats not saying that cheaper players coming out will not. And then if you own one of those, your out of luck with a NAD.lol Perhaps NAD in the future has in plan for a firmware upgrade? Im not even sure if this is tech. possible though. Although when I got my blu-ray player it did not do the HD formats, after I downloaded the firmware upgrade for it, it did. So here is hoping that they do have something up their sleeves, probably not though, which will be disapointing. You know I think it is cool that NAD mainly puts their efforts and marketing into the sound, but it seems like they sometimes forget some of the key features by doing so.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2347
I was talking to one of the chief engineers at Arcam about the lossless schemes and he said that my AV9 would require a motherboard change to implement them since they require different chipsets. I doubt it can be done with firmware only.

The biggest adoption of BluRay by far has been through the PS3 and this does not support analogue 5.1 output, so you need to have HDMI breakout to get the lossless formats. This is another reason why I think thay've made a mistake here. I was sorely disappointed when I saw this.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
Frank. CEDIA 2007 report of NAD's new receivers said that the boards in the new receivers can be fully upgraded to do the new HD audio formats in one year.
Just thought you guys would like to know. Here is a link.

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/cedia2007/090907nad/#COMMENT

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Good call; suspected that might be the case.

However, what is the cost, who authorizes the work, will it be as simple as dropping in a new RAM stick, how does it affect the warranty?

Will any glitches be worked out?

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
lol I guess time will tell. Hopefully just an easy firmware upgrade will be nice.lol.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2362
Well, at least there's a way forward, even if it's not timely...

Username: Glwarner

Kernersville, NC United States

Post Number: 1
The is no reason to decode the HD audio in the receiver since all the current generation BD and HDDVD players do the decoding. Two of the three new NAD receivers can pass the uncompressed multi-channel PCM (Lossless audio) across the HDMI input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Yup, or using the External 5.1 channel output on the blu-ray player, if it has it. I have the T763 Gary, and I get all the HD audio formats with my BDP-S1 blu ray player by using the 5.1ch output. Most, if not all blu-ray players coming out do the decoding themselves.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2364
The point is that hitherto most surround systems have relied on the receiver to decode the audio for DVD, rather than rely on the player. It makes for a much nicer solution since only one audio cable has to pass between the two and is usually better quality for movies (music is another matter).

By far the biggest single uptake of BluRay Disc has been through the PlayStation3 which does not have 5.1 analogue output capability.

Gary makes a good point that the player should be able to output the uncompressed channels via HDMI in PCM format. Some AV receivers can cope with this input but I'm not sure that the new NAD receivers can receive and decode this since they are purely HDMI switchers.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
"'m not sure that the new NAD receivers can receive and decode this since they are purely HDMI switchers."

Frank, my dealer says they can. But I am going in Saturday to demo the T785. I will let you guys know what I find.

Username: Jj61

Post Number: 2
So what did you find?

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Loved it. Pretty much the same NAD sound, perhaps a bit better than before. All the receivers seem to be slightly better build quality, still plastic buttons though. The 785 is a beast, weighs like 50 pounds. My dealer had it beside the 4000 dollar 10.1 Yamaha receiver and he said the NAD completely blows it out of the water. My dealer also mentioned as well as the guy I talked to at Just Hi Fi on the weekend, that NAD is re-releasing the T785 and T775 with full HD-Audio capabilities in the next few months so people wont have to worry about upgrades. I hope what I am hearing is true. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
My dealer also mentioned that NAD bought into a new Manufacturing plant, and the new line is were built there. The reason behind this was the QC issues they had before. My dealer also said he feels this is the best NAD lineup of receivers they have ever released.

Username: Glwarner

Kernersville, NC United States

Post Number: 2
Nick,
Was the T785 able to recieve uncompressed PCM audio thru the HDMI input? According to the NAD web site it should be able to. When the dealer says "they will be re-released to provide HD audio", does that mean be able to decode bitstream from the player? Right now there are no players that will do that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Gary - Yup it does. The new receivers coming out will decode the bitstream from the player for the future players. I dont know if this will ever be needed as it seems all the players, like mine, decode the HD audio formats anyway either through HDMI and 5.1ch Output. The new NAD receivers will receive the uncompressed audio and HD audio formats through HDMI, and 90 percent of the players so far will decode them for the receiver. I think NAD is going to have an upgrade, or a re-release as well just to keep up to the marketing hype.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us