Need help choosing Mythos Gem, Orb or Gallo

Username: Ben2e

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 7
I'm looking for the best thing I can get to mount on the wall. The smaller the better. I'll definitely get a sub with it so the satelites don't need much base response.

I'd seen several glowing reviews of the Gallo Reference AV. I don't like the way they look and they're a bit expensive but if they sound that much better then the A'Diva Ti's then perhaps I can put up with them. Has anyone auditioned them next to each other ?

The Mythos Gem's get glowing reviews. I'm not sure if that's vs other cheap speakers but the size and the look are certainly good as is the price. I've heard the treble can be a bit harsh. I'd also be interested in the larger mythos models.

Same goes for the Orb's. I love the size and the look.

I'm more interested if anyone out there has listened to any number of these speakers. No shop in Seattle has any two of them.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 853
IMHO, the Orb is a great speaker for the size, having briefly heard it in NYC.

Username: Ben2e

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 8
Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to go with the Orbs. The Reference AV's just look too weird despite the rave reviews. I'm sure the Orb's will be good enough (after I buy them will I sit there listening to them wishing they sounded better ? probably not). I'm told they'll soon have a 10" sub option as well.

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 147
I have the Orbs. A 2.1 set up in my bedroom - they're nice sounding speakers for the price.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 657
I have the Gallo's 3.1, best speaker for the money and then some. Same technology for the surrounds and Gallo has 2 choices for a sub already.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8433
Ben, that's a good rec.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 861
Nuck,

from my understanding, Orb and Gallo speakers have some design elements in common. Somewhere along the line, I read that the designer at Orb used to work at Gallo.

Don't quote me on the factualness of this until I can locate it, but I believe I have read this more than once.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 862
one of them was the 3rd post in here...

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000436 ;p=0

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8461
Thanks Gavin, you be quick today.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 863
It turns out that the president/founder of Orb Audio, Gary Pelled, was co-founder of Anthony Gallo Acoustics according to a Google search I just did. I knew I had read something like that before.

Bronze Member
Username: Perkswilliams

Post Number: 12
How good is ORB compared to Paradigm speakers(cinema & base monitor models)

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11329

If you do away with the crossover, you probably don't have phase coherence problems. If you use a crossover, you definitely have phase problems. Last time I looked all the Paradigms had a crossover. Boooooooo!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11330

Oh, yeah, I don't know about the Mythos but the Gallos have no crossover to speak of. The Orbs' enclosures are too small to produce any kind of bass without excessive distortion product and will require a subwoofer. The sub will probably need a fairly high crossover to the satellites which will make the combination less transparent and less cohesive. Same problem as having a crossover - only different.

Bingbingbingbingbing - the Gallos win. Close your eyes when you listen. 'Sides, we ain't talkin' coyote ugly here. You know, where you have to chew the tweeter off to get away from them. Wear sunglasses inside for godssake if you just can't handle the looks. You'll look cool and the speakers will sound great.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us