Mira3 vs Mira

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 218
OK Rega guys, how much improvement is the 3. I would use it to drive an Apollo of course. (Quad11L and Velo sub).

Username: Ciceroslim

Post Number: 1
On a related note, I have the original Mira, and I'm surprised by how hot it runs.

Does anyone have an explanation/confirmation of this?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5266
I have the Mira 3 which always runs cool and sounds very good with the Apollo. Excellent phono stage as well. I haven't compared the two so I really shouldn't respond, however I just wanted to step in and say how satisfied I am with my Mira 3.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 222
I know we have Rega fans here and am decided on the Apollo so want to go Mira or Brio for synergy. Something I never knew about or thought about before reading here. Thanks to some detailed and interesting posts, esp synergy by Jan. eg: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/154383.html
Getting an education. I appreciate the input from Frank also on that and others on the Naim but decided to match the Apollo w/Rega.I realize that Nait would be also be good too, possibly better but there are the other issues there, such as the connects, wires, phono stage.
I prefer to just keep it simple and go Rega.
I see rave reviews on both Mira and Mira 3, but not comparisons as such. For example a review of the Mira: http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/401rega/ calls it a "great" amp.
Mira- advantage= much cheaper units available.
Mira 3- Avoid the urge to upgrade again. Get it done 1st time.

Username: Ciceroslim

Post Number: 2
I think the Stereophile review focuses on the Mira 2.

I'm sure Jan, Frank, et al can clarify.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 226
Other reviews and the Rega website explain the Mira 3 improvements, the new electronic volume control system etc. Apparently very smooth and sophisticated!
They don't compare the sound though.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 228
http://www.plurison.com/rega/Test%20Reports/Mira%203%20-%20Hi-Fi%20%2B%20Mar-Apr %2003.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2327
Kevin,

Sorry about the wait, been busy.

The Mira has been through quite a rollercoaster of a life. The original was a gutsy, enjoyable amplifier, ran a little warm (or hot with difficult speakers). As with most Rega items of its time it was a bit of a one-trick pony in that it gave great timing, was very focussed and tight and very engaging indeed, but that was about it. Not particularly expansive, relatively small (but perfectly formed) soundstage, relatively poor contrast and dynamics by comparison to more usual presentations.

It was a heapload better than the following Mira (Mira 2 or 2000? Can't remember). The following Miras tried to 'open up' the sound but lost the timing plot in one case (didn't last long) and then lost power and drive in the following case. Basically, they weren't too great until last year's revision.

The latest Mira is a peach. It has loads of the original Mira's passion (arguably not as much but nearly there), but now it has dynamics, control, contrast, a bit bigger soundstage (still a bit bijou but still perfectly formed), solid tight bass with good drive. In other words, pretty much all the attributes that the original had but with some HiFi attributes thrown in too. It's still palpably a Rega, just a bit more mature and a bit filled out (must be the age:-)).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 248
Thanks Frank. I keep going back and forth between Mira and Nait for an upgrade to my main living room system. I believe either would be compatable with the Apollo cdp and Quad speakers. I was leaning toward Rega but I just read the new Absolute Sound Sep 07 article:
"6 Great sounding and affordable systems."
Lots of favorites from this forum are there. I realize this is not a shopping list, but an example of what one can do at a price range. Lots of other good choices.
Only part of the list exerpted, starting at
#1 $827 Nad, PSB or Epos;
#2 at $1513: Azure w/Focal;
#3: at $2200: Rotel RCD 1072, RA 1062 int-amp w/NHT or Dali Icon;
#4 at $3323: Nait5i or Azure 840A amp with Apollo.
#5 at $5000: Rotel RC 1082, Vincent Aidio amp, Apollo etc
#6 Multi channel Movie + music at $2500:

Well I am a few months away from the upgrade so I have time to consider the latest fantasy upgrade: the Mira 3 vs Nait5i.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2331
Kevin,

No doubt that either the Mira or Nait are a very good match. Technically, the Nait is the more restricted amplifier. The Mira can be bought with or without a reasonably good built-in phono stage and it has a couple more inputs, although the Nait comes back with the unity gain feature on its AV input allowing you to use it as a slave power amp in a surround system. Oh, and the Nait really wants to be matched with Naim speaker cable and preferably either Naim's own (DIN) interconnect (free with its CD players) or Chord interconnects. The Rega can be matched with more cables, although I like the Chords for interconnects and Naim for speaker cable.

In practice I find that there are two types of buyer - those who love the Rega sound vs those who love the Naim sound. It's quite interesting that the Rega buyer finds almost nothing else comes close in engagement, whereas a Naim buyer is more likely to be seduced by other brands too before buying a Nait.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 252
Maybe I will hold off until I go to the USA and listen to them. I have heard them because that is what they sell in Seattle where I have bought a lot of used gear. I just never compared them but was more paying attention to speakers that I couldn't afford. http://www.hawthornestereo.com
Thanks for the info.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5299
The fella's at Hawthorne don't always match up the inteconnects to the system very well so be sure to find out what they are using. If they say Chord Chrysalis (which they told me is the best they use with the Mira 3) you may want to ask them to do better...and with a burned in set.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 254
I also visit Oregon when I go to the NW. Was in Portland and Bend this year but not shopping. I will check out your guys too.

Now I suppose I should start using decent interconnects with my current gear. Something I have not looked into at all.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 259
I noticed on AudiogoN that two Mira3 for sale one is listed as 28 pounds and the other at 17 lb for shipping. Pretty big discrepancy.

Username: Flats

Post Number: 8
Hi folks

Frank I'm looking for a used Rega Mira 3 but after reading your post about several Mira 3 versions I got confused.

"The Mira has been through quite a rollercoaster of a life. The original was a gutsy, enjoyable amplifier, ran a little warm (or hot with difficult speakers). As with most Rega items of its time it was a bit of a one-trick pony in that it gave great timing, was very focussed and tight and very engaging indeed, but that was about it. Not particularly expansive, relatively small (but perfectly formed) soundstage, relatively poor contrast and dynamics by comparison to more usual presentations.

It was a heapload better than the following Mira (Mira 2 or 2000? Can't remember). The following Miras tried to 'open up' the sound but lost the timing plot in one case (didn't last long) and then lost power and drive in the following case. Basically, they weren't too great until last year's revision.

The latest Mira is a peach. It has loads of the original Mira's passion (arguably not as much but nearly there), but now it has dynamics, control, contrast, a bit bigger soundstage (still a bit bijou but still perfectly formed), solid tight bass with good drive. In other words, pretty much all the attributes that the original had but with some HiFi attributes thrown in too. It's still palpably a Rega, just a bit more mature and a bit filled out (must be the age."

How many Rega Mira 3 versions are out there?

When was made the last Rega Mira 3 version?

I Really appreciate your help in this matter.

Regards

James

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 153
He's not talking about Mira 3s. He's talking about the Mira versions before the Mira 3.

Post Number: 10
I understood it now

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I understood it now Tomasulo

Sorry Frank

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6390
Actually the Mira 3 has been revised once or twice. The last one removing the power amp out option. It really is very nice.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2751
I believe the Mira3 was revised only once and that revision was quite a good one. It was made in early/mid 2007 IIRC. The Mira3 is a very good amplifier.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6403
Actually I think it was before then because I have that revision I believe and I bought mine late '06. So I was told by The Sound Org.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6404
If you have any more info on that Frank I'd love to know. I believe they removed the power amp out as part of that revision and that's been done on mine. I hope the distributor was straight up with me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for your replays guys

Frank, does the last Mira 3 times very well as a Brio 2000?

Regards

James

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us