Which receiver for Athena Point 5 speakers?

Username: Fzgny5

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the Athena Point 5 MKII locally for $300 (including a 6th surround free - their mistake is my fortune :-). I plan to add the AS-P300 sub in the near future. I picked-up the Onkyo TX-SR502S locally for $300 and the entire system sounds extremely bright. I heard you need to break-in the speakers (which I am in the process of doing starting today) but am wondering if this is the right receiver for these speakers. We will be about 65% music and 35% movies. My wife's requirement is small speakers (these pushed the size limit as far as she's concerned) and a silver receiver (to match the DVD player and TV as it is on an open stand). Go figure...

Any thoughts? Should I wait for another week to see if the break-in period mellows things out a bit? Will the sub calm things down quite a bit?

I'm not an audiophile but would like a nice sounding system.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 577
Although nicely made with good qualities, I have the same conclusion as to the brightness of the Point 5 and I doubt that it will settle down after "break-in", you have 30 days to see. For that particular speaker, I would mate them to an H/K receiver or Marantz. Check out some other subs, as the AS-P300 is the weak link in that particular speaker line up.
good luck :-)

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 186
Tony,

I second Berny's opinion. A Marantz receiver is probably the best match for the Athenas, but I don't believe it comes in silver in the US. The new Harmon Kardon receiverss have a half-silver face and should sound nice with the Athenas also. If the unit must be silver, check out the Cambridge Audio 540, which looks very sharp and has received praise in this forum.

Post Number: 2
So I gather that the Onkyo could be adding to the brightness? After one day of breaking-in they do sound a bit better.

Berny, I thought the AS-P300 and AS-P400 were good subs just not the P5?

Thanks for the input.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 579
Tony,
Don't get me wrong, they are good subs, just not on par with the likes of HSU, SVS, Paradigm or even Velodyne. I just found them lacking the oomph!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 579
Tony:

Your wife's requirements are a common dilemma faced by many posters on this forum, so we understand and can empathize.

As for your system, you have two problems. First the Athenas are a bit bright sounding to begin with, especially without a sub as they are a bit unbalanced. But it isn't anything that can't be tamed with the right electronics. Unfortunately, the Onkyo isn't the right electronics. It has a woefully undersized power supply, which is straining to push five or six speakers. Frankly, it doesn't have the gonads to get the job done. This straining actually causes the speakers to sound even brighter than they are because they are not getting enough juice to get them to open up. Figure the 502 is capable of about 45% of its rated power when driving more than two speakers, and even then, Onkyos are not known for powerful sound to begin with (50 watts from Onkyo is not as powerful as 50 watts from most other manufacturers).

I think you have two choices here--either replace the Onkyo with another silver faced receiver (check out a Marantz SR-5400S) which will be more money, or keep the Onkyo and add a hidden outboard amp using the Onkyo's pre-outs to connect the two, thus relagating the Onkyo into being a pre-pro only. There are very few good six channels amps here which won't set you back for more than your Onkyo and Athenas combined, but I would look hard at a Rotel RMB-1066, which you should be able to get for under $500. It is rated at 60 wpc x 6, which is probably more than twice what your Onkyo puts out (I figure your Onkyo is good for about 27 wpc x 6). The Rotel sounds more than twice as good, too. It is both black and silber, so if the missus sees it, it won't look out of place.

As for a sub, Athenas subs are below par, IMO. You can do much better for less money (as Martha Stewart says, "and that is a good thing"). What size room do you have--I can make several good suggestions if I know the size of the room (don't forget the ceiling height, too!).

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input. My room is about a 17' cube. It's difficult to place speakers with the window configuration and the fact that we have a sectional couch without a wall behind 1/2 of it. This has turned-out to be quite a big chore trying to figure something out that sounds good. My original budget was $1500 (receiver and speakers) and the wife keeps trying to get it down. I have thought about piecing a system together over time to satisfy her need to not spend too much :-). What are your thoughts on the HK230?

P.S. I am also powering outdoor speakers but rarely the two together.

Post Number: 4
Also, would a speakers system like the Paradigm Cinema 90 package be better? Possibly with the Marantz you suggested?

rich_e
Unregistered guest
I surely respect Hawk's opinions on athena subs, but I just got the p400 sub to go with my AS-F2's and am mighty impressed. Setup was critical. Regardless of what the manual says, I found it much better to use the direct in and let my receiver do all the crossover and volume control. Setting a low crossover and fronts to small gave me great tight controlled low end without boominess. For only $300 I am a very happy camper, even tho I did not expect to be impressed. Are there really much better subs in *this* price range? (The opening canon battle in Master and Commander was nothing short of awesome - my whole body was vibrating and I had to start laughing.)

Anonymous

Now wait a second. I remember reading on this forum a while back that Hawk recommended an Onkyo receiver with the Athena Point 5:

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 11:36 am:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Franco:
Check out the Product Specials at One Call (www.onecall.com), a leading internet dealer. They have the Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver together with the Athena Point 5 speaker system (5.1) for $936.80. I can tell you this is a killer deal and the best I have seen for under $1000.00. One Call is in Washington state, but if you have a NY address they can ship to, you can make it work by having it waiting for you when you get there.
If you are physically visiting NY, try J & R Music (www.jandr.com), which has Onkyo 601 refurbs for $299.98. Also check out the Polk 6700 speaker system for $599.00 to go with it.

What's the dealio Hawk?

studio_zyx
Unregistered guest
all i gotta say is check out the receiver by kenwood, cheap good and digital http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39796&item=3096301861&rd= 1

look there

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 603
Anon:

Yes, as I recall, that was someone on a very tight budget and it was the only thing I could find for him to meet his budget. Don't forget, that was for the full Athena system, including subwoofer, so One Call was giving the Onkyo for essentially $140.

However, since then, I have had more experience with the Onkyos and I have been very disappointed in them (still love the speakers, though). The power supply simply is not up to the job, IMO. Additionally, new models from other makers have arrived (e.g., Marantz SR-5400) and other models have had their prices cut (e.g., NAD T742), so more choices are possible at that price level.

And, I still believe the Polks were a better match for the Onkyo receiver.

Anonymous

Tony,
I found my Athena Point 5 speakers made a dramatic shift to a more mellow sound (to my newbi ears) after several weeks of use. I am using a NAD T753 and am enjoying the clear detailed sound. I hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us