Marantz Sr-7400 Subwoofer out problem with 7.1 audio

Username: Shamoobian

Toronto, On

Post Number: 1
Hello All,

Been reading this forum for a while and finally got a chance to purchase a Marantz sr-7400 coupled with the Energy Connoisseur C-5s,C-R1s, and 1 C-C1..thinking of 1 more C-R1 as the centre rear. It's an amazing system and I listend to this receiver with PSBs, Paradigms, Mirages, and maybe 5-10 others...Energy's were the absolute nicest sound.

Anyway..here's my problem, I finally purchased the Norah Jones SACD and connected the 5.1 line level out of my DVD to the 7.1 in on the receiver, I have confirmed all the connections and tried with different connectors. The problem is the SW out is very light and sometimes non existant out of the receiver, when I plug the sub directly into the DVD (Since it's an active sub with line level out this will work) The sub comes alive and sounds perfect. I know Marantz does not send SW out when you set your fronts to large, but thought with the 7.1 input it just amplifies and sends the signal directly to the speaker outs for the fronts, centre and rear and the SW out for the sub no processing. Anyone had this problem or have any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 154
I have the same problem with my old Sony receiver and Panasonic DVD-Audio player. It seems that the receiver kills the SW-signal if I try to put it in the 5.1-in and just take it out from the sub-out (all I get is humming). It works fine with direct connection from the DVD-player. I have no idea why I does this, but I'm going to get a new receiver soon, so I dont really care. Quite weird that a new Marantz does it also.

Username: Symform

Post Number: 7
Dudes! Check the sub level settings on the receiver. On my Denon 3805, the default for "pure direct" mode (2-channel listing), has my subwoofer set to off. I thought it was kind of weird, so I adjusted the level and everything's cool. Supposedly, it was set to off so that there is no audible interference from the digital LFE processor to currupt the analog signal? Help this helps...

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Nope. My Sony does not have any setup options for the 5.1CH input. The SW is definitely on because of the humm, wich ends if I set it off. I have set the SW level to max from the DVD-A player, and it doesn't help a thing. I suspect the receiver is broken in some way. With any 2CH or digital input the SW works fine.

Bill
Unregistered guest
landroval
I have a Marantz SR-7400 with a Pioneer DV-45A DVD/SACD/DVD-A player. The first time I played the Norah Jones SACD I noticed less bass response from my SW than expected. I went into the Marantz set-up menu and adjusted the SW output level on the 7.1 set-up menu screen. Then I adjusted the SW output level in the DVD set-up menu. You also should recheck the bass management values on your DVD's set-up menu. After I made these adjusted, the level of bass from the SW improved on the Norah Jones SACD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
"I went into the Marantz set-up menu and adjusted the SW output level on the 7.1 set-up menu screen."

Cant do that, because no bass management is available.

"Then I adjusted the SW output level in the DVD set-up menu. You also should recheck the bass management values on your DVD's set-up menu."

Already did. +6 dB it is and no help. Cant do more.

The problem is not the volume, it's that there is no signal at all, just humm. But oh well, dont worry, a new receiver will be soon on the way and this Sony will go for my 2nd room stereo setup.

Username: Shamoobian

Toronto, On

Post Number: 3
Bill,

I tried this and it worked! also, at lower volumes the bass is too low! But as I get to my standard daytime lsitening levels the db boost off the dvd and the receiver helped a lot.

Thanks a lot! Ok back to loving the sr-7400 it's been a gem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us